Game Crashing?

kvv1296

Hey everybody, I decided to play Rock Raiders again after a super long time and started with the tutorial missions. However, for some reason, whenever I plant dynamite it counts down from 5,4, and then crashes after the 4. I haven't moved the game directory or anything. Any ideas?

I remember another member recently having this exact same problem. Try using the search function. it was on the cbox while RRU was down D:

You use the search function, except it never was a thread. Until you figure it out use chrome crushers or small diggers on walls. Rock Hard may be a problem though. I honeslty am not sure what the issue is here, sorry.

I remembered that Rock Hard has 8 crystals in the first cave. 2 to build Power Station 3 for Barracks, leaving 3. Enough to build a small digger.

Just build the small digger and use it to drill the hard rock. It will take 180 seconds each wall, but just speed the game up and it will be over soon. No level really needs dynamite.

Crap, I found another game crash, on the defending HQ tutorial, when the monster comes to attack the base, the game crashes when he stomps on the 2nd power path. :(

Try re-installing the game, firstly. Next, you can try doing a bit of modding to resolve the issue.

But do the re-install thing first...

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to drag this up again, but I am having exactly the same problem and felt it better to bump this thread than use a new one. This problem occurs on two different computers, one with Windows Vista and the other with Windows 7.

I am currently trying out Baz's Mod, and as far as I can tell dynamite is required on "The Path to Power" because there aren't enough energy crystals to even teleport in the Small Digger before dynamite is required. (Note: This problem also occurs in a 'vanilla' install.)

I have tried re-installation and the program is installed to its default location. Does anyone know any ways this might be fixed?

I haven't played Baz's Mod so I can't help you directly with that, but you might want to try my extended dynamite countdown mod, available here. Since I changed all of the animations and models that the dynamite uses, it might help. If it doesn't, let us know when it crashes during the countdown.

I hope I did this correctly. I used the WAD tool to extract LegoRR0.wad, replaced the files with your extended dynamite countdown mod (making sure to rename one of the Tickdown files) and then re-compiled the WAD file.

With this method, "TickDown_extended" and "TickDown_kamikaze" worked fine. There was no crash. "TickDown_orig" crashes as exactly the same point (immediately after the 4 is displayed).

Thank you for suggesting that! I am happy to continue using the extended tickdown so the game works properly.

Here is another bit of information that might help someone locate what the problem might be:

- On the first computer, with Windows 7 64-bit, it crashes.

- On the second computer, with Windows Vista 32-bit, it crashes. However, that computer also multi-boots with Windows 7 32-bit. I installed Rock Raiders on Vista, and out of curiosity, checked to see if it would work on 7. Not only did it run. the dynamite works fine.

The only thing I could think of so far that was common to both OSs that crashed and not the one that didn't was the Combined Community Codec Pack. After uninstalling it, the dynamite (with no mods) worked properly. Even the sonic blasters were working, and they've never worked for me.

The only thing I could think of so far that was common to both OSs that crashed and not the one that didn't was the Combined Community Codec Pack. After uninstalling it, the dynamite (with no mods) worked properly. Even the sonic blasters were working, and they've never worked for me.

That might be the solution, but hell is it a weird one...

That might be the solution, but hell is it a weird one...

I couldn't agree more. I was surprised when it worked. When I re-installed the CCCP, it started crashing again. I tried adjusting the options and the like. It now works on one computer, but still crashes on the other. They're both using the exact same settings.

Somehow, I doubt it is the CCCP at fault, but rather the way Windows / DirectX / drivers / the game / codecs all work together. There's another program I have installed that also crashed due to DirectX-related sound issues.

If anyone else happens to stumble on this in the future, I guess you could try uninstalling or adjusting the CCCP and see if it works. Personally, I prefer the extended dynamite countdown mod suggested by Cirevam.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.