First Image of LEGO Simpsons Sets

STUDZ

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I need to make up for a lack of news reports, so...

71006-1.jpg

And on an uncannily related note:

Homer-Simpson-the-End-is-Near.gif

EDIT: Apparently someone changed my first picture from the box to something more high-quality. 

Sources: jamesster (Via Skype)

...He also gave me http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85449&st=650#entry1782844

Edited by McStudz
  • Like 2

You were the Source because you gave me the image. Had no real idea where it came from originally, and I KNOW it isn't 'Shopped.

Although I wish it was...

Those .gifs... wow.

That's the only good thing is this topic. You could have put the image in a spoiler so we didn't have to see this... debasement of perfectly good Lego bricks without sullying their grace by building Simpsons sets.

Why do Marge, Bart and Homer look so hungover? That or they're all really sceptical of what Flanders' doing there. I haven't seen the show for years but I'll admit it does look kind of accurate, from what I remember. Still doesn't justify its existence and contamination of LEGO.

Continuing with the GIFs, here's my hateful reaction to it:

tumblr_mesfuwxFei1rrahtt.gif

I was surprised by the size of the set. I wasn't going to get it before I saw the picture, and I'm still not.

Those minifigures just suck.

Quisoves Potoo

Ah, well, what to say about this?

The existence of a "Simpsons" theme perturbs me, as it seems the result of hypocrisy on the part of Lego. Mind you, I have never watched the show, but it does have a reputation for containing "adult" (or as the RRU guidelines put it, "not safe for work")  content. Indeed, the heated debate(s) that have occurred as a a result of the announcement of this theme seem to confirm this reputation, with those many of those defending the theme admitting it, arguing that it will not lead children to watch the show or arguing that the violence of franchises such as Star Wars and Lord of the Rings is much worse.

Mind you, I don't expect Lego to conform to what I consider appropriate, but I do expect it to adhere to its own guidelines. I would respect the production of this theme if Lego formally changed its guidelines, provided that the change seemed sincere. However, these guidelines have not been formally changed, and Lego has been pointing to them constantly over the past few years in regards to Cuusoo. In fact, a Lego Simpsons project on Cuusoo was deleted for not following the guidelines. So, what Lego is doing seems the equivalent of the old sitcom trope of parents chastising one of their children for lying, only to tell a falsehood to get out of a bridge game, or some such appointment. If Lego does not respects its guidlines, what do they mean?

But, enough ranting. On to the actual set: It's not abominable, though given the size it seems to lack much "bang for its buck." I would imagine that a set presumably costing well over $200 would be something spectacular, something that a lesser piece count could simply not do justice. This set however, seems simply an enlarged (perhaps bloated) and grandiose version of something that I would happily buy with less than a thousand pieces. It doesn't even seem that much more impressive for all its size. Granted, it's not bad, just impractical. That said, the design seems decent, with coloring and structure that it are easy on the eyes. The car does seem a bit gaudy and awkward, but the picture on the back of the box shows it in a more favorable light.

The minifigures have been one of the most controversial aspects of this theme, with many complaining about the over-sized heads. While they do seem a bit odd at first, I think they are still an adequate design, especially given that they portray cartoon characters. What bothers me most about them is the cynical expressions that all save the baby and Flanders possess. They may be accurate to the television characters, but they are nonetheless rather unpleasant.

All in all, not a set I would feel compelled to buy, though given the overwhelmingly positive reaction on Brickset I suspect that I am in a minority. Indeed, it seems that even those who are not Simpsons fans want to buy the set and use it for normal minifigures.

On a side note I should like to ask why Lego thinks that this theme will be particularly profitable. While, as I noted above, the house has garnered mostly positive reactions, it has the appeal of size that most other potential sets in the theme would lack. The theme may be profitable, but it hardly seems that it will be profitable enough to justify the controversy surrounding its very existence. Simpsons merchandise used to be quite common, but the last major wave of merchandise for the franchise that I can recall accompanied the release of the Simpsons movie in 2007. The appeal of such products seems to have died down since then. I may be mistaken, of course. I suppose that it is also possible that the Simpsons has a huge following outside of the United States.

• Like 3

i know knex is doing a family guy theme, so maybe lego is just joining in. but, peter does have a block head in the set i saw in the store, and his car looks like the running man's car, so derp that. at least yhe set uses real heads and not cubes like k'nex.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Simpsons-House-back.png

The house looks great, and so does the car, but the fact that TLG has gone so low... I mean, why didn't the DeLorean get this kind of special treatment??? The only reason I'd buy this set is for the house. They should make a good CITY house instead of this. Now I'm ranting so I'll just leave this here:

TF2.gif

Sources:  http://www.groovebricks.com/images-of-the-interior-of-the-lego-simpsons-house/ 

It's interesting how the responses over on Eurobricks are very different to the majority of responses here.

On the linked EB topic, someone mentioned Maggie having new legs. Is this true? I can't tell from the image.

It's interesting how the responses over on Eurobricks are very different to the majority of responses here.

On the linked EB topic, someone mentioned Maggie having new legs. Is this true? I can't tell from the image.

EB is made up of adult collectors that would buy anything LEGO throws up.

• Like 2

ProfessorBrickkeeper

I wouldn't look twice at the sets or the complete minifigures but the new arms and legs I will probably buy off of Bricklink.

The short sleeves and the pants here are the first time LEGO has used new technology for the molding of actual details on legs or arms with these legs and arms using multiple colors of ABS and having the short sleeve and shorts effect going all the way around the part.

Ah yes, I hadn't noticed the skirt legs on Marge and the sleeves. They're nice, I'll admit.

Rather than buy the parts off Bricklink though, I'd just wait until they release them in smaller sets. They'll do it at some point, if as you said they are using new technology.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.