Redesigned LEGO Racers cars

Jappelsap

Oooooh, these look so cool!

I genuinely love how you've taken the spirit/design of the original cars and fleshed them out using modern pieces/building techniques to make them smoother and more detailed.

Not sure how controversial this opinion is, but honestly, I prefer these designs more than the originals.

The limitations of LEGO Racers' vehicle building tools meant that the vehicles were extremely blocky/basic (then again, Racers was made around the "LEGO System" era, a time where most vehicles were built with stacked bricks while SNOT-building techniques were only used for adding small details), where-as here you've managed to re-imagine those designs into something more visually interesting/believable.

For instance, I always felt that Captain Redbeard's vehicle looked weird, considering how long and low-to-the-ground it was, but just by beefing-up the wheels you've made the design far more believable (as an actual car) than the original. I also love how Johnny Thunder and Baron Von Barron's vehicles actually look like old jeeps, as opposed to a primitive, blocky representation of them.

All in all, fantastic work!

10 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

Oooooh, these look so cool!

I genuinely love how you've taken the spirit/design of the original cars and fleshed them out using modern pieces/building techniques to make them smoother and more detailed.

Not sure how controversial this opinion is, but honestly, I prefer these designs more than the originals.

The limitations of LEGO Racers' vehicle building tools meant that the vehicles were extremely blocky/basic (then again, Racers was made around the "LEGO System" era, a time where most vehicles were built with stacked bricks while SNOT-building techniques were only used for adding small details), where-as here you've managed to re-imagine those designs into something more visually interesting/believable.

For instance, I always felt that Captain Redbeard's vehicle looked weird, considering how long and low-to-the-ground it was, but just by beefing-up the wheels you've made the design far more believable (as an actual car) than the original. I also love how Johnny Thunder and Baron Von Barron's vehicles actually look like old jeeps, as opposed to a primitive, blocky representation of them.

All in all, fantastic work!

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. I'm glad you like them more than the original. I tried to preserve the proportions, colour schemes and most iconic features of the original cars. Though with some cars I took quite a bit of creative freedom, considering the original cars sometimes had very little defining characteristics. Captain Redbeard and Baron von Barron for example. Their cars had so few pieces it's hard to even imagine what the original designes were even supposed to represent.

These designs are like something you'd see in a LEGO Racers remake if done in the same vein as the recent Crash Bandicoot/Spyro/etc games, as Ben said they're a marvelous way of bringing the classic designs forward with modern parts! Top notch stuff.

These are awesome, great work. I like the chunkiness that some of these have. I kinda want to build them IRL, but I don't have enough new pieces with all the curves and rounded bits. Maybe I'll try anyways.

On 3/18/2021 at 10:04 PM, Cirevam said:

These are awesome, great work. I like the chunkiness that some of these have. I kinda want to build them IRL, but I don't have enough new pieces with all the curves and rounded bits. Maybe I'll try anyways.

I actually have the building instructions if you're interested. They sometimes have some very minor alterations to make it more stable at some points or because a certain colour wasn't available for some pieces.

• 1 month later...

It's amazing how such a small change makes such a vast improvement, especially in Redbeard's. How could they have a pirate themed car and NOT have a Jolly Roger!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 5:31 PM, Haz said:

How could they have a pirate themed car and NOT have a Jolly Roger!

Redbeard always had the flag on the back...

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2021 at 8:09 AM, Jappelsap said:

I actually have the building instructions if you're interested. They sometimes have some very minor alterations to make it more stable at some points or because a certain colour wasn't available for some pieces.

I would be super interested in seeing those.  Was originally planning to just build the old models, but I actually like these more.  Would be a fun collection, nice job

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 10:09 PM, Werfer said:

I would be super interested in seeing those.  Was originally planning to just build the old models, but I actually like these more.  Would be a fun collection, nice job

No problem! I would love some pictures if you actually end up building them irl. Some instructions might differ ever so slightly from the original render because of some inavailable colours or tiny modifications for structural stability. But I haven't tested it irl yet so I'd be interested to know if they are actually sturdy enough.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Dijon_Moneyear

Great work!  I was tempted to build the originals recently, and then saw your designs.  I might just have to build them both!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.