[User Experience] Lego Rock Raiders on Windows 11

Lego Rockfox

Good Forenoon to the RRU Community.

Today i'd like to share my experience of an experiment of mine:

How Lego Rock Raiders is running on the latest Windows 11 (Build 22000.282)

For this i use the following Programs & Tools:

- #1 Lego Rock Raiders 1999, German release

(The 1999 Version has a Stone Fall Animation in the main menu which the 2003 version lacks)

- #2 The LRR Masterpiece EXE & d3drm.dll from this Thread: 

- #3 The LRR Music Fix from this Thread:

- #4 Lastly dgVoodoo2 v2.76 from this link:

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/bin/dgVoodoo2_76.zip

This thread will be constantly updated as i progress below...

For Questions etc, please comment below. :)

###################################################

Update #1:

The Installation from the 1999 Image runs just fine.

No specific Compatability Settings required.

Just as usual copy the content of the AVI & Sounds Disc folder to the game folder.

Update #2:

The first hold up...

When trying to launch the game through Cafetria, the message shows up "no 3D-Accelerator found".

Then reason why is my graphics card is not selectable. I can only choose between voodoo2 & Savage3D.

Update #3:

By using dgVoodoo2 i was able to start the game in Full-HD by using the LegoRR EXE, Cafeteria is not required to run.

The gameplay also runs smoothly, though the figures look angular and red lines are visible in Text Areas.

Screenshot:

detkx8y-029a5832-06bf-421b-a6d3-61270814

Gameplay Tutorial Mission:

detanu1-a92b1445-69fc-4c85-9675-06b11622

Edited by Lego Rockfox
Update
  • Like 2

Nice! Was wondering how badly LRR would break on Windows 11 :D

12 hours ago, Lego Rockfox said:

though the figures look angular

That's just LRR - this game is over two decades old now. Computational power was a lot lower back then :P I'm not seeing the red lines in the text areas, though - could you get a screenshot of them?

12 hours ago, Lego Rockfox said:

(The 1999 Version has a Stone Fall Animation in the main menu which the 2003 version lacks)

I wonder if this is just a command line argument. You can disable the stone fall animation with... er, I think it's -reduceanimation , so I wonder if the shortcuts you were using to launch the 2003 rerelease had that buried in it.

It's weird that starting it normally works but starting it through Cafeteria doesn't. BTW, Cafeteria largely doesn't help here - Cafeteria+CE:Core+CE allows the game to be played in resolutions other than 640x480, and it's a handy mod manager, but it won't actually help you get the game to run. Cafeteria is very much something you put on afterwards once everything else is working.

Good to know that LRR will still be playable on Win11! :)

17 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Nice! Was wondering how badly LRR would break on Windows 11 :D

That's just LRR - this game is over two decades old now. Computational power was a lot lower back then :P I'm not seeing the red lines in the text areas, though - could you get a screenshot of them?

I wonder if this is just a command line argument. You can disable the stone fall animation with... er, I think it's -reduceanimation , so I wonder if the shortcuts you were using to launch the 2003 rerelease had that buried in it.

It's weird that starting it normally works but starting it through Cafeteria doesn't. BTW, Cafeteria largely doesn't help here - Cafeteria+CE:Core+CE allows the game to be played in resolutions other than 640x480, and it's a handy mod manager, but it won't actually help you get the game to run. Cafeteria is very much something you put on afterwards once everything else is working.

Good to know that LRR will still be playable on Win11! :)

#1-They are actually visible in the text bar below.

Like above the words "Raiders" & "Erz". Eventually just download the image and zoom in.

#2-who knows. If it's deeply within LRR EXE then i'm afraid the 2003 Rerelease won't be of much help.
I don't even know the differences which were made under the hood apart from being compatible with XP back then.

#3-Well, in the past i used Cafeteria for just that, to launch the game in a proper resolution.

Now with dgvoodoo i can pretty much skip that.

Edited by Lego Rockfox

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.