Email From The Creator Of Lego Island

lol username

Hi,

My name is Jamie, and I'm a big fan of the LEGO Island series of games. I was doing some research and found this on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Lego_Island#The_Unproduced_Sequel.3F

Basically, I'm wondering how much of this is true. In short:

1 - Was there another game planned, but canceled? If so, what was it going to be like?

2 - What's this about a TV show? I looked on your website, and I saw you did mention it. Do you have any clips of this? What was it about?

3 - The Wikipedia thing mentioned a script for the LEGO Island Manual/comic that was apparently on your website. Do you have this? If so, could I see it please?

I am a HUGE fan of the series, so if you could please answer this I would really appreciate it. Also, do you have a better quality version of this image?

http://wesdotcom.com/images/200_news3.JPG

Thanks a ton for reading this - can you please give us some answers? I would love to hear about this stuff!

Jamie [Last name edited out]

Hi Jamie!

That's a cool email to read; made me smile and I like to smile.

LEGO island was pretty much one of the coolest adventures I've had. The team involved were great people, friends and co-creators.

Scott Anderson was our producer , Paul Melmed, the educational expert, Dennis Goodrow, the Technical Lead and David Patch was the Art Director plus a staff of artist and programmers and

sheesh- a lot of folks. I could try and put together a list if you want but I'm getting sleepy. Oh! and the musicians (on the juke box and the radio are really cool folks) and the voice actors and on and on...

Answers to questions:

1> Ha! There were many games planned. Strange politics and "business" cancelled subsequent titles planned and the company (Mindscape) thought it made more money to fire us the day before the product was released (in 1997!)

Technology sure has advanced since we started in '95-96 but it was pretty advanced for its day.

I was really trying to make a toy that had gaming features and not a "game" where you just kind of blow stuff up or die. We wanted to play and let kids make up stuff.

I have binders full of LEGO games that I designed.

2>It was a prototype, a pilot. A place called Delaplane Creative (formerly Flying Rhino) animators put it together. LEGO wasn't interested but it's pretty cool. I have an old DVD of some of it.

LEGO was planning other stuff at the time with robots and transformers and licenses.

The pilot show was about the Pirate theme kit and characters with new pirates that basically steal the LEGOs that kids leave around they rooms when they go to sleep. The story is a fun one.

3> The LEGO script is about a 300 page binder. I had designed over 40 characters and they all have about 10 lines each or so in all kinds of places. Sometimes if you just stand in one place (in the game) they'll come up to you. You can always walk away.

Technology sure has advanced since we started in '95-96 but it was pretty advanced for its day.

I was really trying to make a toy that had gaming features and not a "game" where you just kind of blow stuff up or die. We wanted to play.

I would love to be a part of a LEGO island III though. I miss that place, having spent so much time living on it, it seems.

Mindscape, Inc. in Novato, CA, the company that I and the team was with at the time sold themselves to various companies after they fired us all.

I was lucky enough to hook up with LEGO Media International that formed soon after the product release in London. The Gaming industry started to embrace more blow-stuff up games because that's what sells best according to marketing departments so I was phased out and then I had surgery so I had to stay home...except I was asked by the Producer there of LEGO Island II to write the script for LEGO Island II since all the characters in it were my pals. Tim Green was a great guy there who was the producer and he "got it"...I mean, he liked to play.

LEGO media then lost interest and decided to have other companies do the games for them

Someone showed me a post on Wikipedia about LEGO Island. I never entered anything on it though; maybe I should.

I got stories- in fact, I was once considering writing a book about it once. Now I'm just doing projects for myself or "free-stuff"; not making any money now just making up stories.

I was pretty lucky once though.

Hey- if anybody wants to hear some LEGO Island stories- I've got the time.

So, again, thanks, Jamie, your email was fun to read.

Oh- my web site is quite an old dated one but nobody really cares about what I can do anymore...life gets weird.

Best, cheers, ciao and regards,

wes Jenkins

He also attached this image, which I have uploaded to Brickshelf:

It's kind of sad that his good career sunk as a result of Mindscape and LEGO wanting more profit. But the "binders full of LEGO games that I designed" is quite exciting.

I wonder if he knows who all the characters were.

We just got news about a ton of unfinished games and a TV series and he's willing to talk about them more, and you're wondering about the minor characters in the one game that actually made it to the market? xD

It's kind of sad that his good career sunk as a result of Mindscape and LEGO wanting more profit. But the "binders full of LEGO games that I designed" is quite exciting.

Extremely exciting. I emailed him again and asked if he could give us some more info.

I wonder if he knows who all the characters were.

We just got news about a ton of unfinished games and a TV series and he's willing to talk about them more, and you're wondering about the minor characters in the one game that actually made it to the market? xD

...yes. It's minor and that;s exactly why I'm wondering.

Wow, that's some really awesome stuff! It's really a pity those game concepts were never released though, I would have loved to play them. Were there any games based off of LEGO Space? Or was it mostly town/LEGO Island related? Oh, and the Wikipedia thing mentioned something called "Beneath the Phanta Sea". I take it this was one of the canceled games?

That TV pilot episode sounds really cool, I wish LEGO had gone ahead with it. Was Captain Click involved?

And wow, the script for LEGO Island is 300 pages long? That's massive! I had no clue that they could be that large! Although I guess when you have that many characters, it's bound to get pretty big. I just didn't anticipate it to be that big!

Also, I have just a few more questions. In the first game, were you going to be able to go past the door in the cave at any point? Or was it kind of intended to remain mysterious, with no way to get in? Also, I took a look through the sound files from LEGO Island 2, and found a ton of unused voice clips. Do you know anything about them? I've compiled them into a YouTube video here:

And yeah, I'd love to hear a few stories. One more quick thing; Have you seen Island Xtreme Stunts? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5CYpqGkHaA

Thanks for taking the time to answer these emails, I really appreciate it! And that article you attached is awesome too (That LEGO Island model looks like it took a long time to build!). By the way, a little more about me - I'm 14, and live near [Town in Texas here, blah blah blah. If you pay enough attention you probably already know it, but I'm not going to just say it]. I'm a member of the LEGO Kids Inner Circle - basically, we test things for LEGO and give our opinions on things like new sets and games (We were beta testing LEGO's new MMO, LEGO Universe - the beta just closed a few days ago, and it is being launched in October). I'm a huge LEGO fanatic, and own nearly every LEGO game ever made. I've also beta tested My LEGO Network and LEGO Racers Challenge. Thanks again for your replies, this is really cool!

Jamie

Hey, thanks, Jamie.

There were games based on just about all of the kits.

What would I look at under Wikepedia to see that info about "Beneath the Phanta Sea" ?

I thought me and only a few people knew about that one. This online stuff is amazing.

Oh- the cave door was intended to lead into the next LEGO island II game but that never happened...so it was a bit of a tease.

The voices on LEGO island II were from the British Hdqs.

The LEGO island I voices were by such cool people like June Forray who was the voice of Rocky in Rocky and Bullwinkle (I don't know if you ever seen those cartoons) but she's been doing cartoon voices for 70-80 years!

David Landers was the Brickster (in the US). he was Squiggy in Lavern and Shirley TV show in the 70-80's.

I think it's really cool that you're into LEGOs. I've met some really smart people out there who are.

M.I.T. has a media lab where they develop some amazing inventions. They use LEGOs.

Regards,

wes

• 1 month later...

O_O ... HOLY Blue bricks!!!!!!!!!

I SO need to talk to this guy!!!! I have SO many ideas for a LEGO Island revival... That game had so many fond memories; it's the only LEGO game (RR won't work anymore... >_> ) that I still play regularly.

Also, I was looking for an image of the REAL LEGO Island for AGES. Are there any more pics of this??

O_O ... HOLY Blue bricks!!!!!!!!!

I SO need to talk to this guy!!!! I have SO many ideas for a LEGO Island revival... That game had so many fond memories; it's the only LEGO game (RR won't work anymore... >_> ) that I still play regularly.

Also, I was looking for an image of the REAL LEGO Island for AGES. Are there any more pics of this??

Just so ya know, Wes can't just make another LEGO Island game, he was hired for the job by Mindscape.

Fluffy Cupcake
Just so ya know, Wes can't just make another LEGO Island game, he was hired for the job by Mindscape.
Then just get him to talk to Mindscape about it.

Much more complicated then that. You see, they can't make a LEGO game unless LEGO approves of it.

Fluffy Cupcake

Much more complicated then that. You see, they can't make a LEGO game unless LEGO approves of it.

And of course, who could forget to talk to Lego about a Lego game? (non-fan)

DUDE!!!! I just got an Email back from Wes!

Hi, my name is Zachary [McStudz]. I only just aquired your Email address from another big fan of LEGO Island [jamesster], and I just HAD to contact you.

OK, first of all, I have been a HUGE fan of LEGO Island for a while, since long after it was made, but I have read up on all of the info about LEGO Island, and now, it's the only LEGO video game I still play regularly.

I have made quite a few stories on LEGO Island. But only one of them is on the Internet ( ). I have heard rumours of an actual LEGO Island that was built in real life for the game.

But I'll be short and sweet for my questions:

1) Could you please send me some information on LEGO Island that never quite made it to the public, for the sake of my stories? I promise that I'll give you credit, and, in advance, may I (of course) add things to it?

2) Do you have any pictures of the Real LEGO Island, and if so, could you please send them to me?? I have been yearning for pictures of the Island (especially the Information Centre) ever since I found out about it.

I eagerly anticipate you reply,

Zack [McStudz]

His reply??

Hey Zack-

Nice to read the friendly E from you.

I'm really pleased that you've been to the Island that myself and some early pioneers have settled back in the day....about 15+ years ago!

I attached a photo of the early settlers. In addition, there were about 10 animators, including some guys from a place called Flying Rhino,

5 artists, 5 programmers, many musicians, and many actors. It was really quite the team-effort although we all had official titles (so we could get paid!). Sharing ideas and playing together really made the Island a cool place to hang out.

The end result is owned by LEGO so you have to be careful in taking too much stuff from that original project without asking LEGO if that's cool or not.

There's some stuff out there online that just "borrows" everything we did which kind of hurts those of us who worked so hard (and fun) on it and I guess LEGO who paid a lot for it (not to us though) although it's really great to see the characters live on. You should check the credits out on the original product- Geez! I listed everybody that had even an opinion on what we were doing.

I had hoped at the time that people like you would have liked it and gone on with the stories.

Your story [My blog] is great, by the way!

There's a lot of stories that never made it to the public. In fact, we were going to do five more until "business" took over Mindscape (the company who coerced LEGO to enter the video game world). That in itself is an interesting story. Mindscape fired everybody the day it was released so they wouldn't have to pay us bonuses- which was standard in the industry in those days (the bonus-not the firing)

The one thing that most people seem to forget is that this technology was just being invented at the time by people like in the photo- so it wasn't as cool, feature rich and as shiny as it is possible today. We wanted to have some cool characters and a toy that had some game features but mostly it was about playing and inspiring you to make up stuff.

Most everybody went on to great stuff. I, unfortunately fell ill and out of the business, but I still love to make up stuff, tell stories and the like. Maybe someday we can work on a real LEGO Island III together!

Keep having fun!

-wes

Oh- I can give permission to post stuff only if I see it first, I guess...

and what would you like to know about stuff?

I'll let him know about the door in the Cave!

ATTATCHMENTS!!!! Need help on how to get these onto here!

Upload them to Brickshelf, if they're images.

If you could, ask him what the canceled games were about, what themes were included, and maybe some characters. That's mainly what I'm interested in - the canceled games (The five other projects he mentioned).

It's unfortunate to hear what Mindscape did regarding the firing, but that's business... even if it's not the right thing to do. Five more? Five Lego Island games? Wow.

More LEGO Island-ness from the man himself!

Hey, Wes.

I have a few more questions about the Island. Sorry that I couldn't get back to you over the week; I can only send Emails during the weekend. My parents' rules... I don't have a problem with them!

OK, so...

What were those "cancelled" games about?? Were they all sequels to LEGO Island? Could you tell me about some of the characters that were planned out, or was the project cancelled before characters could be made?

I also have some questions on the origins of LEGO Island. If the Infomaniac (according to the instruction manual included with the software) came from another island, and even made OTHER islands (like Key Lime, great pie!), where did he come from?

And why in the blue bricks does The Brickster have a blue hand?? Was that to show how custom-made he was; so much that The Infomaniac didn't have enough white hands to build him?

Also, were there any actual early plans for the "Cave Teaser" (captain Click's cave) that you could tell me about? I'd love to know more about all of this!

Also, since I'm constantly sending you Emails, and you know virtually nothing about me, I might as well tell you some things...

I'm 14 years old, I've been a LEGO kid all my life, although I only just started to be a hardcore fan in the last three years. Before that, I was a BIONICLE fan. I mean, a HARDCORE BIONICLE fan. Anyways, in my spare time, I make LEGO stop-motion films. You can check them out here, http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum . Even though I've only recently loved the classics of LEGO (they don't make LEGO games like they used to, Wes!), I've learned so much about old LEGO themes, games, etc. that anyone would think I was a hardcore fan since the beginning!

Do you know about BIONICLE? From what I know, you got fired around 2001, right?? Just after LEGO Island 2? If that's the case, did you ever meet Greg Farshtey? He was the editor for the LEGO Magazine back then and was (up until recently) the writer for the BIONICLE story. In a way, he kind of has the same job with LEGO as you did with Island. You wrote all of the scripts and storylines for Island, while Greg did the same thing after the first year.

If you want to know more about what happened with BIONICLE, give me a shout!

One more question about LEGO Island: You know the actual LEGO Island? Were you able to keep any of it after it just got trashed? I was thinking that you kept the Information centre, you know, since it never was made into an actual set (I keep on pestering LEGO about making one! ;) ). I thought you'd keep it, since you were technically The Infomaniac!

Again, thanks a lot for talking to me!

Zack

Wes' reply:

Hey Zack-

Actually, Mindscape "let-Go" as they say, the whole development team in 1998-

I worked at LEGO Media International afterwards until 2000+- when I had to leave due to surgery.

The Brickster had one different glove 'cause he's just a weird guy and he was made from custom scrap pieces after all.I've always respected the Infomaniac's privacy other than what he wants to tell me about where he came from.

I did keep some of the pieces of the Island but I gave most of everything away to kids of friends over the years. Actually all I have now is a couple Infomaniacs and stuff.

The door in the cave had some ideas behind it but time and money didn't let them happen. That happens.

In those days too- we had to be concerned if it would all fit on a CD...Technology was pretty different then.

The cancelled games were about other themes- although I really wanted to do more on the Island.

I did know a couple guys named Greg but I don't remember any of their last names. Maybe we did know each other.

I think it's really cool you're into LEGOs like that and I'm actually kind of proud that you like the Island and the characters and all.

I don't know if I'm answering your questions or not but there you go.

-wes

Well; he's kind of answering my questions... I hope he's OK with me posting his replies... :(

Oh! I forgot to put this in!

ME

Thank you so much for replying; I almost half-expected you not to!

Anyways, I wanted to know more about the door inside Captain Click's cave, near the Mountain Park. What was supposed to be beyond there? I've heard rumors about "The Fanta Sea" or something like that. I'm wondering, do you have any more information on this? I've already written a whole new chapter on my characters in the blog trying to get in, complete with a confrontation between them and Captain Click himself. I ended with Click opening the door and the heroes going inside, hopefully, it will be up later today.

Thanks a lot for the pictures of the Island!! I was also wondering, what happened to the real Island after the game was finished? Or were you told nothing after Mindscape fired you?

By the way, someone already made a fan version of LEGO Island 3 (http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=299029). But it's still in the making.

You said that you worked for LEGO Media until 2003, if I'm not mistaken, right? I heard from someone else who Emailed you that you worked on LI2 (which I don't nearly play as often as the original). What happened after that was done?

I'm sorry if some of these questions are in any way personal--I'm just so excited to know that there was more to LEGO Island than what was planned! In fact, I got most of the information on a topic on the same site as my blog ().

Thanks again for the information!

Zack

WES (there's some pretty good stuff in his reply!)

I read your blog and had to SMOMN (That's shoot milk out my nose- my kind of LOL)

Someone asked if I knew the characters. Yeah- I designed about 40 of them.

All good friends...even the Brickster is kind of a fun guy once you get to know him.

The Brickolini's now have a pizza place named after them in LEGO Land in Carlsbad, CA.

That was pretty cool to see one of my buddies actually end up making food for people.

The other products were in design proposal phases. It was all on paper though: storyboards and scripts.

Phanta-Sea: Our team went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and started meeting and working with some experts of the ocean. It was looking pretty cool.

There was an Archeological one: DIG which was kind of cool and in the works too and several others but who knows- maybe I can do them with somebody in the future...maybe one of you guys?

Mindscape is out of the developing business and just distributes products now. I think they're actually in France now. LEGO Media International (the company who then hired me to do stuff after Mindscape is no longer around) and LEGO now uses different developers out there. There are license and copyright issues though when people develop products so I worry when I see too much "borrowed" stuff.

I worked with LEGO Media until about 2000- then I had some serious surgery which took me out of the game for a while. I had heart issues- Blam! it just hit me. If you can help it- do not get old! Your body starts doing things without letting you know. Since then I've been trying to get back in- trying to find a cool project where somebody wants me to do what I do.

Oh! The actual Island was dismantled after development- people took some of the pieces but really, it just got tossed.

Oh! the comic book user guide that is mentioned on my site was in the original packaging. I assume it's still in some of them out there.

Originally the product came with an actual Infomaniac character and the comic book. I was kind of proud of the comic book because it wasn't like your regular user guide. It was fun. I have one copy though.

I'll try and scan it in for you sometime

Captain Click was a "teaser". His cave was just there to inspire you guys to make up stuff. Ideally we wanted the door to open up into the next product...but well...

Maybe you guys should write to LEGO and tell them you want a new LEGO Island product...and you need the guy who designed the first one (Ha! shameless plug)

No problem with asking me questions. I'll try to answer what I can.

But, really, have fun doing what you're doing. Some of the smartest people I know play with LEGOS.

Play to Learn is one of their mottos.

Hey- my pleasure, Zack

-wes

There you have it! I think that Wes is a great guy, telling me all of this information. He was, after all, the "Former classmate of The Infomaniac."

The Brickster had one different glove 'cause he's just a weird guy and he was made from custom scrap pieces after all.

I've always respected the Infomaniac's privacy other than what he wants to tell me about where he came from.

Aha. So this proves it - The Brickster is an absolute lunatic.

Not that we didn't already know that.

HEY PEPPER I MEAN PAPER.

Maybe you guys should write to LEGO and tell them you want a new LEGO Island product...and you need the guy who designed the first one (Ha! shameless plug)

I want...

Maybe we should sign a petition or something and email it to Lego and ask them to make Lego Island 3.

I think Wes should work on Lego Island 3 since he did such an awesome job with Lego Island.

Fluffy Cupcake

Maybe we should sign a petition or something and email it to Lego and ask them to make Lego Island 3.

I think Wes should work on Lego Island 3 since he did such an awesome job with Lego Island.

That would be cool having a 3rd Lego Island. It would be nice to do a petition, but I'm not exactly sure it would work. But it is worth a try. :af:

Edit: IXS is Lego Island 3, so shouldn't it be LI4?

That would be cool having a 3rd Lego Island. It would be nice to do a petition, but I'm not exactly sure it would work. But it is worth a try. :af:

Edit: IXS is Lego Island 3, so shouldn't it be LI4?

Send in a crapload to Lego. And I have a few words of my own to add about their modern products vs old ones.

And I've been in that arguement before. Most people say that was a spin-off and not a 3rd game. I really don't care as long as it's a new Island with all the old stuff.

Maybe we should sign a petition or something and email it to Lego and ask them to make Lego Island 3. I think Wes should work on Lego Island 3 since he did such an awesome job with Lego Island.
That would be cool having a 3rd Lego Island. It would be nice to do a petition, but I'm not exactly sure it would work. But it is worth a try. :af:Edit: IXS is Lego Island 3, so shouldn't it be LI4?

Yes, it is worth a try. I want to do it!

Um...I don't care what it would be called. I just want it to be like Lego Island. Only...better...Today there's no excuse for not packing it full of everything the devs can think of. Our computers can handle it.

Send in a crapload to Lego. And I have a few words of my own to add about their modern products vs old ones.And I've been in that arguement before. Most people say that was a spin-off and not a 3rd game. I really don't care as long as it's a new Island with all the old stuff.

A crapload of what?

Last of all, who leads the movement for a new Lego Island?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.