The History of Rock Raiders United

Cyrem

Rock Raiders United wasn't one of those sites that just appeared one day out of the middle of no-where. It has a little bit of a history/story and since the oldest members here have become inactive and rarely come on I thought I'd explain how it all happened in a time line.

November 15, 1999: Lego Rock Raiders for PC was released by Data Design Interactive.

August 17, 2000: Lego Rock Raiders for Playstation was released by Data Design Interactive.

2002: Bought my first ever computer. We didn't have a computer before then.

2002: Friend showed me the game for the first time. I loved it. Tried to burn myself a copy but failed.

2003-2005: Forgot about the game. Got into programming.

2006: Borrowed the game from my Friend who still had it. Played the game a few times over.

November 15, 2007: Bought SimCity Societies. Amazed by the ability to mod SCS, it was my first game I started modding. Bought a new copy of RR off ebay, the other disc stopped working. One morning I decided to look at the files in LRR and did a google search to find any mods, however returned nothing.

2007- Feb 2008: Started looking at the WAD files in HEX to find a lot of things in plain English. Searched and found Striders WAD Extractor. (Could find no builder at that point)

March 06, 2008: Made a topic on Neoseeker and how to modify the game to turn debug keys on using HEX. A month later, received the first reply.

March 07, 2008: Release the first mod "Slimy Slug Damage Upgrade" that automatically mods the game. The only reply I ever got was that the zip file was corrupt(It wasn't).

July 16, 2008: Released the modding basics tutorial which people wanted so badly.

July 19, 2008: Announced that I had been working on a level editor 0.1 and provided a working screen:

July 26, 2008: Released a screenshot of 0.2 of the level editor:

July 31, 2008: Created RockRaidersUnited & Forum to celebrate the release of version 0.3 of the editor(a number of versions came out after that). Site was located at rockraidersunited.freehostia.com

September 26, 2008: Reached 1000 posts on the old forum.

Nov 10, 2008: Bought rockraidersunited.org and moved hosts.

May 11, 2009: Created a wiki about LRR.

July 31, 2009: Celebrated the 1st anniversary

Sept 9, 2009: Left Zetaboards and changed over to IPB forum software (members/posts were all reset).

June 14, 2010: Reached 500 registered members.

June 29, 2010: Wiki reaches 300 articles on LRR.

July 2nd, 2010: Hit 25,000 posts.

There are a number of smaller things that were done between these times that I have not mentioned, however these are the main milestones.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cyrem I would like to say that it is really an honer to be a member of RRU.

Oh and I think you should add the tunnel transport mod to the list and the other important mods.

• 2 months later...
TheEPICtrainrider

I'll keep this link handy, One day some Noob will ask how the site came to be, and I'll amaze him with my vast knowledge of the history of RRU give him the link to this thread.

Great Job Cyrem, You have really pulled off a Epic site here.

• 5 months later...

this list should be updated to have the current upgraded RRU wiki

Edited by Cirevam
Don't make another post explaining what you meant, just edit this post, especially since it's not an old post.

Sept 9, 2009: Left Zetaboards and changed over to IPB forum software.

There are a number of smaller things that were done between these times that I have not mentioned, however these are the main milestones.

This?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.