Yo, whats sup people?

McJobless

Welcome Ben. So FinalDawn is a Halo Mod? Interesting... any sort of screenshots yet or still in the planning stages?

If you want to become a successful video game developer, you got to make a unique game, this is very important. All good game developers have unique games different from all others. You also need a unique studio name, not something that makes you sound like you make the best games, but something that will stick in your head and possibly not even related to games (E.G Pancake Studios ). Get a good group of people behind you that will stay with you through tough times and make sure you really plan out your games. Make a design document with all you ideas, stories and art work. Also don't be afraid to add humour into you games, some of the best games around town (E.G Fallout, Dukenukem) are built to give some humour and this is one point that makes the game unique.

I can round up some game dev articles that me and some other guys wrote for game design if you want.

Anyway, good luck with your project and how did you find this forum? some people tend to have unique stories about how they found this forum.

BTW: ROFLCOPTER is WIN.

As you will see in my posts, I aren't too fond of smilies. They give me the creeps. But anyway...

You just earned yourself a +10 respect bonus right off the bat. And in the next post, Cyrem uses a smilie... Also, don't let games get in the way of grades. Try to balance it out. Even if you can make the best games in the world, if your grades are crap and you don't have some good connections, your reputation isn't going to look that great. I'm not going to doubt that you could be a straight A student, but remember that balance is key.

Oh man I'm lecturing a new person. Uh...*changes subject* other than Halo, do you have experience with other game mods or languages? Maybe you have a skill that we at RRU find relevant.

Addictgamer

Hey Ben.

Game game developer eh?

Goodluck with that.

My advice: Work on your buggy game.

Play rr when you're bored.

Fix bugs in one of your games

Play dwarf fortress when you are sick of rr.

Make a game when you have gotten sick of both.

Repeat.

Thanks Guys, I'll keep what you guys said in mind. And as for screenshots, I'll be uploading some stuff my team has been kickin' around the old crotch box, including some posters and a few character/city designs.

And I can pick up any games mod tools within a week. I so far learnt Garry's Mod (Half-Life 2), HEK (Halo), RR (What do you think?), COD4, JPOG (Mostly .cfg editing; It goes in a pattern: change crash change win change crash change win), Sims 2 (Using SimPE), FSX (Thanks to the Gold Edition SDK), Star Wars KoTOR 2 (Yet it is mostly Boolan and Hex editing), Freespace 2 (With the OpenSourse SDK), I can build old 2D games (Like Sam and Max: Hit The Road, a personal favourite) and also make heaps of Batch File Prank viruses in my free time.

For the most part, I work in design, but my skills in programming are definitly getting better. As for this project, Final Dawn, I am doing most of the stuff. Spawning, coding, painting, debugging etc. My friends are just around to get the site up, do voices, help with traillers and help design new ideas. Although one said he would help make a DS Port...

As for finding the site, 1 or 2 years ago I was new to modding and I wanted to test a game I owned and had finished already. Now, because I'm poor, I owned an old IBM Windows 98 (which now lies broken in a junk yard kilometers away from here), and the only game I could finds mods for was Rock Raiders. Now, I ws (and still am) a HUGE fan of Lego, especially the older varietys. I loved Rock Raiders. I didn't own any sets because I was born in 1994 in Australia (Sad Face), but I enjoyed both the idea AND the game. Anyway, I found the site while looking through the list of mod sites I found on google. I originally signed up for the newsletter, but never became a member. That changed recenly, when I found a newer newsletter in my Inbox. I decided to go against my friends (The lego-killers, 'cause they will take a brink and literary rip it a new one) and join this plesent community of Rock Raiders lovers. Plus, It is a site dedicated to mods. How can't I join?

Steam for the win over MSN;

Extreme110

(P.S: Thanks for the wierd opinion on the ROFLCOPTER. I forgot how I found it, but I did...)

Welcome to our community! Some of the guys are working on a RRU version of LRR called ORR, Addictgamer being the main (if not the only) programmer working on it. *instert smilie here*. What programming languages do you know? Im learning c++ for a college class, VBA on my own. Anonymouse uses python, and constantly talks about it being superior to c++. I have no idea where he got that notion from, hehehe. Look through the CFG file from the game, and you will see things that make you suspect that they knew we were going to be modding it. *smells conspiracy*. I'm part Aussie myself, mother is from Melbourne. I love Australia, plan to move there some day. Enjoy yourself here, bro. We are serious about modding (yeah, right), and we love to have fun!

I am mostly a C programmer. I just found it a much easier programming langauge to start off with, and now I can also code scripts for several games bacause they use the same format. As for C++, I am learning, but there are many changes which keep throwing me off-balence (cout?). I also might try Java soon. I read about it. It looks to be like a langauge I should try.

And a few years ago I was not only looking through the .cfg file but also the text files. I've never seen so many comments before! But it helps a lot for the newer modders a guess. Hell, maybe it is a conspiracy...

Addictgamer

So, you do have steam then?

*Notes user-name*

If so, don't mind if I add you?

Either way...The conspiracy idea is...intriguing. To say the least.

As for c++, you can still use all the c functions you like if you include the correct headers.

That's the only way I can get certain things to work in certain programs.

So, you do have steam then?

*Notes user-name*

If so, don't mind if I add you?

Go ahead. I need more friends on Steam...

Either way...The conspiracy idea is...intriguing. To say the least.

Shhhh! <Whispering> They know They know!

As for c++, you can still use all the c functions you like if you include the correct headers.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

just add a "c". e.g. #include <cstdlib>

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.