Question about Lightwave 3D

legodude

I'm making LEGO models using LDRAW, I can open the scene (which consists of 100's of objects which are the LEGO bricks) in Lightwave but I can't export the scene as a whole to a single .obj file so that I can open it in 3DS Max.

So how do I export an entire scene which consists of 100+ objects to a single .obj file that I can open in 3ds Max?

Thanks.

Scene =/= model.

Sorry to say but unless something like 3D Ripper DX lets you take a snapshot of the scene you're going to have to load the brick models into the modeler, and you already know how much of a pain that will be. Someone else probably has a solution though.

I found an app that converted LDRAW into a LWS, but sadly I have no idea where I found it anymore. It kind of worked... well... when I got it to work it was all superblack.

But yeah, this doesn't help you. Sorry.

You can save it as an LDraw file, open it up with LeoCAD, and use that to export to a .3ds file. I haven't tried it with 3ds Max, but Blender opens the .3ds files with no difficulty.

I already have the converter so I get .lws files - I just can't export the .lws file (scene) to an .obj

This is why I hate crappy software like Lightwave, it's a friggin joke compared to Autodesk products (3ds Max / Maya). I have all the geometry right there and you can't export it, totally useless if you ask me.

BTW I wasn't planning on adding Rock Raider models, I just wanted to use LDRAW to create LEGO models and edit them in 3ds Max.

Again, use LDraw to save as a LDraw file, then open it up with LeoCAD, and then export it from LeoCAD as a .3ds file. 3ds Max can open .3ds files. You can export it from 3ds Max to a .obj file, can't you?

This is why I hate crappy software like Lightwave, it's a friggin joke compared to Autodesk products (3ds Max / Maya). I have all the geometry right there and you can't export it, totally useless if you ask me.

Actually, Lightwave can export to 3ds and OBJ, but you can't do it through the scene editor.

inb4that'sthejoke

And if you just post your LDraw file, I'll give you the 3ds file you need. It's really simple.

WAIT

LeoCAD CAN ALSO EXPORT DIRECTLY TO .obj FILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST USE LeoCAD TO OPEN YOUR LDraw FILES AND EXPORT IT FROM LeoCAD!!!!!!! (or you can still post it here and I'll give you the .obj file)

And if you just post your LDraw file, I'll give you the 3ds file you need. It's really simple.

WAIT

LeoCAD CAN ALSO EXPORT DIRECTLY TO .obj FILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST USE LeoCAD TO OPEN YOUR LDraw FILES AND EXPORT IT FROM LeoCAD!!!!!!! (or you can still post it here and I'll give you the .obj file)

Ok thanks I must have looked over your previous post, I'll check it out.

Ok I used LeoCad and exported it as 3ds and now it works perfect in 3ds max. Thanks a lot.

Funny how all that expensive software (Lightwave) is totally useless, and then this simple free program does it all in two clicks..

A lot of bricks for Rock Raiders are missing in LDRAW, too bad..

Expensive? Laughing on line.

It's not useless, it just doesn't do your complex "render an animation as an object" stuff. LeoCAD has more of a reason to export a scene file since according to Mouse it doesn't save the files as actual geometry, just pointers, so you would have a real need to export the thing as a model.

Man you're such a hater.

Expensive? Laughing on line.

It's not useless, it just doesn't do your complex "render an animation as an object" stuff. LeoCAD has more of a reason to export a scene file since according to Mouse it doesn't save the files as actual geometry, just pointers, so you would have a real need to export the thing as a model.

Man you're such a hater.

Whats so complex about exporting the structure of several hundred objects as one model, any program but Lightwave seems to be able to do that. So yeah, it's expensive, even one dollar would be too expensive, especially since a free program can do it without a problem.

Making scenes but not being able to export it, yeah good job Lightwave..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.