Some really wierd sound errors...

Lair

Something really wierd is going on with Monster Name sounds.... When I scroll over Ice and Lava Monsters, it says "Support Station" and one new Monster I added is called "Geological Center". Why?

xD THAT IF FUNNY. CONFUSING RAIDERS RETURNS!

There must be some logical explanation for this happening. Cfg fail maybe?

I edited an LWS for the King Monster to make the sound of a building explosion when he stepped (he's HUGE)

I edited an LWS

Lair has LightWave? This can only mean one thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsJyfN0ICU

I've been having problems with those building explosion sounds too, though I didn't change any linking to do it. I'll try changing the links in Lightwave tomorrow and see if I get similar problems.

By the way Doc, LWS files are just text files. If you know what you're doing you don't need Lightwave at all. I do about 10% of my animation editing in Notepad now, disabling locks and changing frame bumpers.

I've been having problems with those building explosion sounds too, though I didn't change any linking to do it. I'll try changing the links in Lightwave tomorrow and see if I get similar problems.

By the way Doc, LWS files are just text files. If you know what you're doing you don't need Lightwave at all. I do about 10% of my animation editing in Notepad now, disabling locks and changing frame bumpers.

You...but...I...he...that...but...it...fail...it's...notepad...but...........

*rips hair out*

Masterchief

Editing LWS and LWO files with notepad can result in the changes you wanted to create but it often turns out as a disaster as notepad treats the LWS/LWO file like an rtf file, which means,

it adds it´s own header and header end section to the file (not visible unless you open it with PEPad. By that I figured out that LRR interprets the header file within the LWS/LWO File which means

1. Direct Crash of the Engine/Game. or 2. Deformed Mesh ingame or 3. Invisible Mesh ingame or 4. Distorted Sounds, Actions and other bugs.

The best way to modify or implent new content into Rock Raiders is still to own Lightwave or to own a Plugin which can export your content into Industry Standard LWS/LWO Format.

I've had no problems when editing LWS files in Notepad and then running them in LRR. I'm not messing with SFX links or anything, but the simple edits I'm doing seem to be acceptable. I wonder if part of it is because I either export something and then use Notepad on it later or that I'll use Notepad first to remove null locks, use Lightwave to change things, and then export it afterwards. Either way they go through an export so it's no longer an original LRR file once I get it in-game.

Lair has decent success with Notepad edits too, but he needs to be editing SFX entries in the CFG. By the way, we know not to edit LWOs with Notepad. We have hex editors for that.

Masterchief

You have to check wheter your Notepad Import setting is set to ACII or Binary, the problem is often caused by the ACII Setting just change it to Binary and Notepad won´t add custom headers or anything else than you write.

Hex Editors operate in Binary Mode (whereas you can change that to ACII but you shouldn´t) so I wouldn´t expect any problems by editing with an hex editor.

But why edit a model if you can use Lightwave or even Milkshape where the same settings are stored in the custom properties panels?

Milkshape and Lightwave don't export color properties correctly, so I have to use a hex editor to paint them after the fact.

Masterchief

Still the same issue you told me sometime before?

Maybe I should send you a screenshot of my export settings because I don´t get any errors by exporting with lightwave.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.