Beta Testers

lol username

lol username

After watching the credits, it seems that the beta testers for LEGO Racers 1 were Scott Mackintosh, William Golz, and Kevin Sheller. Scott and William aren't online as far as I can tell, but Kevin is on both Facebook and Twitter!

http://www.facebook.com/kevmoses

http://twitter.com/kevmoses69

My parents don't want me signing up for those sites, so I can't contact Kevin myself. But if somebody else could and post what he says about the beta I would REALLY appreciate it! :) (Show him this: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=430431 - make sure it says it is public before sending any messages)

My parents don't want me signing up for those sites

I agree with your parents, do not sign up to those sites.

Good findings anyway.

I am signed up for Facebook and use it a good bit. When I find my list of stuff to ask, I'll send him a message to ask for an interview for the RRU newspaper.

EDIT: Actually, I just contacted him to see if he is the correct one, so that we don't swamp him with questions on this.

lol username

Ok, sounds good. I'm pretty sure this is the right guy, but better safe then sorry. Could you ask him about the Royal Knights Raceway scrapped design and trashed car sets?

So, I asked him if he worked on the Lego Rock Raiders beta, and I didn't see that you were asking about Lego Racers (why are the names so similar?!) I'll await a reply again to see if he is the human we are looking for.

Oh! It is the right guy! And he still works there!

JrMasterModelBuilder

So, I asked him if he worked on the Lego Rock Raiders beta, and I didn't see that you were asking about Lego Racers (why are the names so similar?!) I'll await a reply again to see if he is the human we are looking for.

He still works for High Voltage? 0_0

He still works for High Voltage? 0_0

Yeah! He does!

I asked him if he would answer a list of questions about it if we compiled one. He hasn't replied to that, yet.

Okay! He said yes! Start compiling questions!

Yeeeeehar! cowboy!...

... Now I'm stumped as to what to ask :(

EDIT: Here is some questions of mine:

- Did you guys deliberately try and make it addictive? because I remember getting up a 3am to get more playing time in.

- How long would estimate it took the team to develop Lego Racers 1?

- Was there any planned features disabled because of bugs or the sake of time?

- Some guys have been looking at the possibilty at modding Lego Racers to give it some new life, do you think much could be accompilshed in this area?

- Do you remember what JAM stands for, for the data file?

- We've been looking at the format of the so-called BMP files used in the game. Was a custom/modified format developed for the image files? Do you have any hints for us to figure out the format of them ? ;)

- In the case that we did figure out all the formats used in the game, was the game written in a way to allow more tracks to be added if more track file were added? or is it too hard-coded to allow for that?

Might make some more.

Addictgamer

One question Argiflex.

Is this the guy you mentioned to me that worked on LRR?

If this guy is not, did this guy work on it anyway?

Oh, and I still have the text file with questions you sent me.

Fluffy Cupcake
- Do you remember what JAM stands for, for the data file?
This makes me think that we should find someone who did something on LR2 that is online and asked him something similar about the gtc file.

lol username

My questions (If you could directly copy and paste this and send it to him I would really like that):

At http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=430431, you can see many screenshots of a seemingly unfinished/alpha/beta version of the game. Some questions about that: First, in these screenshots ( ' alt='' class='ipsImage' > , ' alt='' class='ipsImage' > , ' alt='' class='ipsImage' > , and ' alt='' class='ipsImage' > ) the track used is not in the final game. Is this an early version of Royal Knights Raceway? Why was it not included/redesigned?

Also, in many of the screenshots, there are car sets not used in the final game. Why were the cars redesigned? Do you have any more screens of them?

I have also been in contact with High Voltage Software via email. I've gotten some good answers that way, but it's been a bit slow. If you don't mind, I will copy and paste the entire conversation here:

The first email, which I sent:

"First, I would like to say I really enjoy LEGO Racers for PC. It may be an older game, but it is very fun - and that is what video games are all about! Nice job! Just a few questions. On the track Knightmare-Athon, there is no shortcut. However, I heard that in a beta version of the game, there was a shortcut in the canyon filled with giant broomsticks. I looked there, and there was a power-up behind the wall. There were also hidden power-ups behind a wall near the finish line, and on top of a castle (the castle with the skulls on chains hanging from the ceiling). Were shortcuts planned there too? Also, is there any way to use these shortcuts? One more quick thing: What software did you use to make the game? Thank you for your answers, and good job on making a great game!

Jamie"

They then replied with this:

"Hey Jamie,

Your kinda going back a way there. We loved Lego Racers and it was the first title of the Lego gaming brand so we're pretty proud to have been a part of that successful franchise.

In talking with the team, we know that there were a few different shortcuts planned for various levels that were later culled for various reasons (i.e. if you missed the shortcut you were at too great a disadvantage to catch up, etc). Unfortunately, no one can remember where the short cuts that were culled had run. The project in in archive at the studio and so we couldn't pull it for quick reference without a ton of IT work (and you know how IT guys get). We think that you are right on with your assesment though.

Thanks for being a fan from way back and thanks for giving us the ability to think back to a game we loved being a part of.

Sincerely,

Team High Voltage"

I sent a follow up with more questions....

"Thanks a ton for the reply, it helps a lot! Just a few more really quick questions. Recently some people found some strange screenshots of LEGO Racers, and I was wondering if you knew anything about them (I've uploaded the images to an image hosting website so you can see them). First, it seems there was some sort of castle-themed bike/car hybrid...

And then somebody found this extremely small picture of a desert track nobody seems to recognize (And the player is using that bike again)

Also, this one is really weird. It looks like a castle track, but the castle is brown!

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

Also, this screenshot seems to show a race where all the bosses go against each-other head to head. Was this a scrapped feature, a development version, or just a fake screenshot?

(Thankfully this one has a decent size so you can see what is going on!)

Are these fakes, or real screenshots of a development version or something? Sorry for the bad quality, it's the best I have at the moment.

Also, back on the subject of shortcuts, there is an idea that there was a deleted shortcut in Pirate Skull Pass. The player would enter here after blasting apart the skull...

And then come out here.

Was there ever a shortcut in Pirate Skull Pass besides the small one here?

Thanks for your time, not many video game companies actually reply to their fans - it's great to find one that does! I'm also kinda hoping that some day LEGO will ask you to make another LEGO Racing game for them - imagine what it could be like with modern graphics! It would be awesome!

Jamie"

They then replied with this:

"Hey Jamie,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Things have been crazy here planning for E3. I’m going to run these pics by some of the guys and see if they can give me some more information on the game. Give me a bit and I’ll be back in touch.

Sincerely,

Team High Voltage"

By then, I had found more things to ask about, and sent them more:

"No problem, I don't mind the wait. However, some more crazy pictures have been popping up all over the place. If you don't mind, I would like to show these to you as well. First, a some screenshots of the track select screen. Aside from a different user interface, Royal Knights Raceway seems to be in the first circuit instead of the second...

And there is a mysterious character who we haven't seen before in the place of Sam Sinister:

Now take a look at this. Any idea where this is? There is nothing like it in the final game (Although the black and white castles remind me of Royal Knights Raceway a bit). Was this a scrapped design for a track, or an early design for Royal Knights Raceway? As that specific design isn't in the final game, were the 3D models for it trashed or are they still sitting around somewhere? (If you can't answer this I understand) Also, both cars in these 3 screenshots aren't seen in the final game. I think in one screenshot I saw somewhere, there was a car with a green color scheme. I can't find it at the moment though, sorry. So what happened to these cars? Another point of interest is that the icons for the power ups are different - got any idea what the police badge is?

Also, it seems that the power-ups were shaped like gems...

Oh yes, here is that bike/car thing again. Was it a prototype for Basil's vehicle or something? Also, in the screenshots with the mysterious castle track, there is what looks like a Pirate themed car. Was this a prototype of Captain Redbeard's car?

Thanks for answering these questions, I (And tons of other LEGO Racers fans) appreciate it very much! Also, I've been taking a look around your site and noticed a game called High Voltage Hot Rod Show. I watched some gameplay on YouTube and it looks great! Keep up the good work!

Jamie"

They haven't replied to that yet. Is there anything else that you could say about the things said in those emails (Info on the Knightmare-Athon shortcut, scrapped cars and tracks, ect)? I know it's a lot of text to read through and answer, but I'm a big fan of the series and want to know a bit more about all these beta screenshots. Thanks!

Jamie

So yeah, if you could copy that essay ( :P ) up there and send it to him, I would like it VERY much!

Wow! That's a lot of text! Let's see how he does with the first batch of questions. When he answers those, and is okay with having some more, I'll definitely add that!

JrMasterModelBuilder

I'd also like to know what format exactly the .tun files are or a program we might be able to open them properly with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.