The Funny Failures Thread

Addictgamer

Many failures have happened in life. Quite a few funny ones too.

Why don't you share yours here?

However they must be clean jokes so no racist, religious or dirty jokes please

That also applies to this thread. Only 'clean failures'.

Number one:

Due to a hard drive failure which occurred at the same time as our backup system failed, the site is currently down.

That's what a site I was trying to go to a few minutes before coming up with this topic said.

guy: alright, committed the new source.

other guy: *checks out commit*

guy: Oops, I forgot to commit the most important part.

Yes, that actually happened.

Not exactly like that, but you get the point :P

This is an anecdote copied from Computer Stupidities on Rinkworks.

My old boss spent some time writing statistical analysis packages for the Archimedes. One of them got fairly popular for Archie software, and he started a small business selling it. For those who don't know, Archie software usually came as source code and was executed through an interpreter.

One day at a scientific meeting, he noticed that another company was showing Archie software with remarkably similar functionality to his own, so he wandered over. The longer he watched, the more familiar it looked. Eventually, when the sales representative had gathered a good crowd, he asked in a loud voice:

â—¦My Boss: "Are you using my copyrighted code for this?"

â—¦Sales Representative: "Of course not."

â—¦My Boss: "So what happens if you press [key combination]?"

â—¦Sales Representative: "Nothing."

â—¦My Boss: "Do it for me."

â—¦Sales Representative: "Ok sir, but I can assure you it does--"

The screen displayed my boss' copyright notice. All they'd done was remove the front end.

It widely accepted as the biggest laugh of the show.

Plenty of other failures can be found at the site. This is the section of said site where this particular one comes from.

guy: alright, committed the new source.

other guy: *checks out commit*

guy: Oops, I forgot to commit the most important part.

Oh I wonder who that was :P

:whistle:

The project name that you entered conflicts with a project currently registered at SourceForge.

The most common reason for a project name to be reserved is that it is already being used on another open source project hosting site. Having a different project with the same name could be confusing to users and detrimental to the existing project.

Sometimes when two developers think of the same name, it is because they have the same goal in mind. You might want to familiarize yourself with the existing project, and consider whether it would be better to work with them rather than create a potentially similar project of your own.

If you choose to continue, the owners of the existing project will be asked to approve your use of the name. If they approve, you will be notified and you can try again.

Your request will be emailed to the existing project owner(s):

I DON'T CARE. I WANT MY PROJECT NAMED WHAT I NAMED IT. AAAAAARGH.

Google code failed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.