.sps And Music.bin

McJobless

First off, if you don not have any basic .sps files or you don't have Music.bin, PM and I'll send you a small sample of what we are looking at.

Hot Pursuit has been released, and with it, a musical problem. Dis-reguarding SFX, all sound seems to be compressed in both Music.bin and a number or files known by the extension of ".sps". What is wierd about these files is how similar they are in that they both contain a number of one line .txt files.

Google searches of these files only reveal one known type of possible music format, something called "StoneTracker Audio File". Yet, further investigation reveals these can only be opened by the original Amiga consoles. I doubt this is the format.

Open the Files with a Hex Editor reveals the following first few lines:

Music.bin

bnd2................0... .......................]...............@(.p.............&..............................................^..................p.............................&.............................._..................p............................

A random .sps File:

H.......`...........D.....(....0..h..R>[email protected]....<<<<.....<<<<.....<<<<.....<<<<.....<<<<.....<<<<.....<<=.....xxxx.....x..q_.......`2i.{...``.>.Y.|.@}.&[email protected]\.|@.....pC....@}.G`. 

What should be noted is that in Music.bin, it says "bnd2". One of the file types in Hot Pursuit is a ".bndl" file. A random .bndl File (From the Music folder):

bnd2................0..............................................@......................................................................

Now, to what I did to find the text files. I used a program called "Extractor" by Nova Software, and extracting both Music.bin and the .sps file I used above provided me with litterally hundreds of text files. The .bndl would not extract at all. Opening the first extracted text file, this was the contents:

$!S2{ 

The next one had this:

vTm$	7|

And it went on like this. Trying to combine the .txt files and try the output file as a normal music file failed. Obviously .sps is an archive, yet renaming it to common archive extensions doesn't work either.

Please assist me in figuring this format out. It could be major fun...cough...

Thanks,

Extreme110

Any Linux user here could just do a quick command line file check.

Who has linux? I mean, do you know any users who run linux (You probably do, but I couldn't be totally sure)?

Ask addict, acmex, mouse or myself when one of us comes on.

I thought I might throw the net a little wide, particularly when everyone is working hard on various projects.

Any Windows user here could just do a quick command line file check.

Lol, I just found your topic on NFScars.net.

Anyways, download this then create a file in the same directory and name it 'extract.bat'. Insert this into the file:

ea_multi_xma.exe file.sps -o 0x000000
pause

Replace 'file.sps' with your sps file.

It should then extract some streams from it.

Any Windows user here could just do a quick command line file check.

Lol, I just found your topic on NFScars.net.

Anyways, download this then create a file in the same directory and name it 'extract.bat'. Insert this into the file:

ea_multi_xma.exe file.sps -o 0x000000

pause

Replace 'file.sps' with your sps file.

It should then extract some streams from it.

Cyrem, will you marry me? lol. Thanks man.

NONONO!!! IT DIDN"T WORK! Oh well, let's keep trying...

Did it not create any stream files? Hmm... it works on the xbox demo of it.

Maybe they have different file systems? Or maybe my disc is broken? lol...I'll solve this eventually...

Whelp, it says it's "data", which means it doesn't recognize the header. The hex is still no help. I tried compiling Cyrem's program thing but it spat out this:

daniel@daniel-FK476AAR-ABA-a6600z:~$ g++ ~/Downloads/ea_multi_xma02/ea_multi_xma.c

/home/daniel/Downloads/ea_multi_xma02/ea_multi_xma.c: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:

/home/daniel/Downloads/ea_multi_xma02/ea_multi_xma.c:213: error: invalid conversion from ‘void*’ to ‘FILE**’

/home/daniel/Downloads/ea_multi_xma02/ea_multi_xma.c:228: error: invalid conversion from ‘void*’ to ‘char*’

I don't know.

Edit: I might be able to do something with the .bin file though.

All the music files from the "SOUND" direrectory are here now, in .rar format.

There is another folder with Sounds in it, but I think we can leave that for now untill this folder gets figured.

And thank you very much Doc for your work. It feels good to have help once in a while.

♥ from Extreme110.

EDIT: Someone from ZModeler forums made a tool to extract files from Hot Pursuit. Link: http://forum.zmodeler2.com/viewtopic.php?t=4921&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

You can find the tool at the very bottom in an attachment.

It won't extract .sps files, but it does show up 3 unknown file-types in Music.bin. You can extract these by hitting "Resource" then extracting RAW files.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.