Modding An Unreleased Game

lol username

JrMasterModelBuilder

According to Mark, the files are most-likely compressed:

. . .

DB has been strangely quiet, lo these many months. I'll see if I can re-establish contact. I'll pass on your information too, as well as ask for a directory listing.

I seem to recall somewhere that the files are indeed compressed. Have you tried any standard compression tools (circa 2001, like ZIP) on them?

. . .

Which is good-ish, I guess, as I would much rather try to reverse engineer compression than obfuscation. Hopefully a directory listing will reveal associated files with additional data. Other wise, I'm guessing the decompressor is all handled within the game executable, and cracking it will be much harder.

P.S. I wasn't able to find anything on circa 2001 that seemed to be related to file compression. I asked Mark what it is, but if someone else knows, that's cool too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JrMasterModelBuilder

• Dovahn

• lol username

• Minifig9292

http://www.computerf...ensions.php/BLK

There are at least seven known formats with the .blk extension, but none of them are archives. There's a chance that those files (I've seen them a lot, they seem to be some sort of code or script) are actually game scripts, possibly even Win32Fourth. They could also be graphics files, including Wavefront (Trackmania United Forever uses these for animated signs and profile avatars, as apposed to the lower quality .gif format).

Try renaming the file from *.blk to *.zip. I've seen many files like that, for example *.gbx (Trackmania Archive Format), *.g3x (Realflight G3 Archive), and the Google Maps archive format become *.zip, while the music files in LEGO Racer 2 are all *.wav files. If that doesn't work then it's one of the formats listed above.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.