Wow People! I Am Both Stunned And Impressed!

rrcoder

You can/would do that for us? You are the coolest new member ever. Anyways, Cirevam will be happy to hear this, more so when it works.

I think I'd better emphasize the word 'Perhaps'... :lol:

Remember I no longer have access to the source code anymore, so I'm in the same boat as everyone here (but with the added bonus of having some fuzzy memories of developing it) xD

^^^ THIS LINE IS AN UTTER BODGE

TO STOP DRILL SOUND WHEN CLAPPING

OH GOOD LORD!!!

Is that my comment???!?!?

Wow. This was unexpected. I don't know too much about the Rock Raiders game in terms of modding and beta content, but this is still awesome to see. I would ask you some questions, but it sounds like the other guys have it covered. xD Oh, one thing that hasn't been asked (I think) - now, as I said I'm no RR expert, but I do think I heard about some buildings (only name I remember is the barracks) that were not in the final game. Any info on this?

Oh, one more thing. Does "LEGO Rocket Racers" ring a bell, or LEGOLAND Windsor Racers?

What he doesn't know: I stole Doctor's TARDIS.

Anyways, I've properly credited you in my sig. It's only fair.

:lol: I saw it, and I thought: "Haaaaaaaang on... that looks familiar!"

*hangs head in shame*

Yeah. Sometimes the only way to 'hide' a bug is to do something shameful and hope nobody notices.

I'll have to look into this in more detail, but perhaps in time I could cobble together a 'downgrader' app to convert from the newer format to the older one.

I would offer plentiful libations to you and your family if you did this. It would make everything so much easier.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried using "Export > Lightwave 5" from LWModeler? (Or is this a 3rd party plugin I only have in my copy of modeller?)

Also, have you had problems with both animations and textured models? Or is it specifically one or the other?

---

Edit: Watch this space... I think I have some good news for you...

We've (Cirevam) had problems with everything. I figured out how to slap on a texture to a single lwo, the ore to be exact. Animations confuse me but Cirevam seems to know what he's doing.

Regarding the plugin, I would have to check if I have it.

When I first saw Cirevam's sig quote I hand waved it as some obscure Sokolian reference to some game I never played or something. I honestly have no idea where he found that.

1 Also, have you had problems with both animations and textured models? Or is it specifically one or the other?

---

2 Edit: Watch this space... I think I have some good news for you...

1, both, animations can't be made from scratch and custom models must be uv'd in LW 9.x

2, Kinda doesn't make sense, but sure ok. :)

I always wondered what was up with the "utter bodge" thing in the cfg xD

I'd be eternally gratefull if you help out with nerps. Quite a few things don't want to work for me.

For example: Messages. I managed to get them to appear, but they don't play any audio, and they can be cancelled by 'energy crystal has been found' or 'ore has been found' or similar messages. Quite annoying.

Cyrem found lightwave 5.5 for sale: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COLLECTOR-SGI-HOTMIX-19-Included-LIGHTWAVE-3D-5-5-/120661615976?pt=FR_GH_Informatique_R%C3%A9seau_Wi_Fi_Serveurs_Stations&hash=item1c17fe2568#ht_5393wt_1057

So...If some one bought that, they'd be able to use it to make working animations and textured models for LRR?

Edit: Watch this space... I think I have some good news for you...

Okay... My version of Lightwave (v8.0) is fully capable of writing LW5.6 version models and animations. The appropriate plugin in 'conv3d.p'. I have no idea if this is a standard plugin (i.e. installed with LW), or if it is a 3rd party plugin that we all use here at DDI (our copies of LW were always set up and configured by the head of art, so we all have exactly the same set of plugins).

I have uploaded the plugin here: http://www.rockraidersunited.org/index.php?/files/file/194-conv3dp/

Hopefully you will either have this plugin already, or it will otherwise work in your respective versions of LW. It should then allow you to export directly to a RockRaider-friendly format.

Edit: Just thought. It *may* need to be manually added to the menus in Lightwave. Let me know if it isn't there, and I'll dig out the relevant lines from my LWconfigs.

Mission-wise, how did the timers work, did you use them, and where they still working at release? Because I need them for an overhaul of mine but the damn things seem to be not doing what I want them to do...

I'll have another look through the scripts and see how I used them originally, and get back to you with this. I'm fairly sure I used them primarily for the tutorial missions, to progress the tutorial automatically after a short period of time, so the best place to look for examples of these will be in the tutorial scripts.

Thank you...it's just I can't seem to figure out for myself how they were coded...

Okay... Timers...

Again, this is from memory (and from peering at my old tutorial configs... if someone can confirm what I'm remembering that would be great...)

There are a few timers available, however 'Timer0' is reserved (It's used in 'nerpnrn.h'). It's best to just use 'Timer1' to begin with.

Simply reset the timer using the following:

TRUE ? SetTimer1 0
Then use GetTimer1 to check for an elapsed time, thusly: To wait until a timer has elapsed before continuing with the rest of the script:
GetTimer1 < 6000 ? Stop
To jump to a later point in the script once a timer is reached:
GetTimer1 < 6000 ? :LaterPointInScript

...other script here...

LaterPointInScript:

This should help you form the basis of time-controlled script. Obviously the above script will require compiling into a .npl file. (Does a tool for doing this already exist?)

1) Cross platform!

2) It uses Ogun's compiler, with a gui thrown on top of that.

Windows only :'(

I think Cyrem simply wrote a wrapper with a gui for Ogun's compiler.

Also features a wizard for simple goal scripts :)

I'll try out the timer code when I can. Thanks!

Edit: Quick question. How is time measured in nerps? value of 40 = 1 second?

1) Cross platform!

2) It uses Ogun's compiler, with a gui thrown on top of that.

Windows only :'(

I think Cyrem simply wrote a wrapper with a gui for Ogun's compiler.

Also features a wizard for simple goal scripts :)

Holy crap, they're awesome! All I had to work with was a command-line tool with no error checking, that would simply crash if the syntax was wrong!

Edit: Quick question. How is time measured in nerps? value of 40 = 1 second?

Oh... I had assumed milliseconds. Is there any evidence to assume otherwise?

(sorry... still not got around to trying any of this myself yet...)

I remember reading somewhere in Lego.cfg, "40 units is 1 second".

Or 20 units. Not sure.

Haha, Ogun's compiler is a command line tool. All those two programs do is provide a gui for it. (At least the first one)

Ogun's compiler has error checking...Although it's not noteworthy.

By the way, do you recall any Nerps functions that the nerps reference is missing?

I'm hoping I could GetCustomBuildingNameOnLevel.

And I'm also hoping I could disable/enable erosion.

Another question: What were the plans with the multiple minifigure types?

There are several other entries along with Pilot in the minifigures entry in Lego.cfg

Somebody test out this script for me please:

GetObjectiveShowing = TRUE ? SetTimer1 0

GetTimer1 < 6000 ? Stop

GetTimer1 > 6000 ? SetLevelCompleted

If after a while, the level is 'won', timers work.

Edit: download compiled version: http://www.rockraidersunited.org/index.php?/files/file/195-testing-timers/

I remember reading somewhere in Lego.cfg, "40 units is 1 second".

Or 20 units. Not sure.

Yay... something I remember :D

These are the lines you're referring to:

Times are specied as 25.0 units per second.

Units equate to 40 per block in game

The first line refers to the fact that any times specified in the Lego.cfg file are in 1/25th of a second. (Although I'm not sure how true that is... that comment was written very early on in development).

The second line is actually referring to units of measurement in 3D space... one map-block is 40 '3D units' wide. (It's an arbitrary measurement... it's also why the Pilot is about 10 meters tall in Lightwave)

I'm hoping I could GetCustomBuildingNameOnLevel.

Without the original code I wouldn't be able to tell, although functions were created as required, so if they don't appear within any scripts chances are the functions don't exist. (The nerp system evolved out of necessity)

And I'm also hoping I could disable/enable erosion.

I don't believe this is possible. I'm pretty sure this was hard-coded. Sorry.

Another question: What were the plans with the multiple minifigure types?

There are several other entries along with Pilot in the minifigures entry in Lego.cfg

Originally the plan was to have all 5 rock-raider classes in the game, each with their own abilities. They would have been the subordinates of Jet, Sparks, Axle, etc. Time constraints nipped this in the bud early on though, which is why they are all 'Pilot'.

Edit: I believe this also answers an earlier question about the 'Barracks' building. The plan was that the teleport pad would beam down a 'generic' unit, and you would use the Barracks to train them in a particular ability (i.e. if you trained the generic character to fly, they would become a 'Pilot', and would look like Jet).

Is it possible to create a monster/building/mini-figure, at, let's say, tutorial block 1?

I've been told that it's not possible.

According to Ogun, these are the only spawning functions:

For monsters you can manually emerge slugs but only from holes. You can also have a rock monster emerge at a tutorial block.

These are the only spawn-like functions in the game.

Is that true?

Nice to know time constraints took another chop out of RR <_<

It'd have been nice to have the multiple raider classes.

Another question:

We have created custom minifugure classes.

One huge problem: We can't find a way to get them to teleport down. We have to place them via OL.

Is this a result of multiple minifigure classes being chopped out early in development?

Do you recall a method of teleporting them down being implemented? I'm sure the overhaulers would love that.

Edit:

Edit: I believe this also answers an earlier question about the 'Barracks' building. The plan was that the teleport pad would beam down a 'generic' unit, and you would use the Barracks to train them in a particular ability (i.e. if you trained the generic character to fly, they would become a 'Pilot', and would look like Jet).

Guess that means the answer to my last question is 'no'...

Is it possible to create a monster/building/mini-figure, at, let's say, tutorial block 1?

I've been told that it's not possible.

According to Ogun, these are the only spawning functions:

For monsters you can manually emerge slugs but only from holes. You can also have a rock monster emerge at a tutorial block.

These are the only spawn-like functions in the game.

Is that true?

I suspect that to be true, yeah... I'm still getting reacquainted with the script system, so I may be able to answer with more conviction soon.

Nice to know time constraints took another chop out of RR <_<

It'd have been nice to have the multiple raider classes.

Well, technically not a chop, but just something that never made it in to begin with. Still a shame.

Another question:

We have created custom minifugure classes.

One huge problem: We can't find a way to get them to teleport down. We have to place them via OL.

Is this a result of multiple minifigure classes being chopped out early in development?

Do you recall a method of teleporting them down being implemented? I'm sure the overhaulers would love that.

I'm not too sure about this at the moment. I can have a sniff around the configs to see. There is a remote possibility that this could actually be possible. As far as I recall, there was nothing in the code that explicitly prevented multiple minifigure classes, so there may be a way to configure this. The only tricky bit will be wedging it into the interface (i.e. to request a different class), and I don't remember if the interface functionality was held entirely within the code or not.

Guess that means the answer to my last question is 'no'...

Maybe, maybe not... Vague is my middle name.

1. Aww...Hopefully it isn't.

2. Yep, a shame

3. Please do take a look when you have a chance.

4. haha.

On a side note:

I managed to test the NPL I uploaded. Works :)

Took that, modified it, through it into my overhual. Yay! Slugs now attack you every few seconds after you complete the first objective. Thanks :) Don't worry, I won't tell the player you're responsible for it ;)

Question: What exactly is Timer0 used for? Message related stuff? I see you're always resetting that to 0 in your scripts...

Question: What exactly is Timer0 used for? Message related stuff? I see you're always resetting that to 0 in your scripts...

I'm hoping to re-learn what my original scripts (particularly the nerpnrn.h) actually did. Most of the nerpnrn.h I understand (it's mainly helper stuff like the Func/FuncEnd stuff - the scripts don't natively support 'functions' as such), but there were a few 'common tasks' that I moved into there. One of these was the Timer0 resetting, which would have had something to do with the tutorial levels. It is possible that is was a 'loose end' that was only in there for legacy reasons.

It may be possible to reclaim Timer0 if isn't actually being used anymore. I should have more information on this soon once I'm reacquainted with my decade old script :lol:

Allright.

Just to let you know, none of the stock scripts I tried work properly with our npl compiler. It instant-wins for some reason.

I doubt it's a problem on my end. Might be, though.

I'm having a problem: Can't seem to get RR to play the accompanying sound file with my message. I compared my 'x.txt' that contains all the message text with an stock 'x.txt'. I don't see anything that could possible be wrong.

I checked the .wav file I'm using. It works outside of RR. Since I wasn't sure if it was RR compatible or not, I borrowed a stock .wav from one of the tutorials.

Doesn't play that one either. I'm going to assume it's a compiler problem or a problem in my npl.

Gonna edit this post with the 'x.txt' and my npl in a few secs...

EDIT:

'x.txt'

Change_of_priorities._It_seems_that_you_have_discovered_a_magical_block_that_spawns energy_crystals._Collect_10_energy_crystals_from_this_block_to_complete_the_mission. #one#

$one			Sounds\Streamed\Training\Building1\build101

npl

;The start of the npl

Top:

;Nothing happens if the objective is showing

GetObjectiveSwitch ? SetMessagePermit 0

GetObjectiveSwitch ? :SkippedSkip

GetObjectiveShowing = 1 ? :Skip

SkippedSkip:

TRUE ? SetMessageTimerValues 2000 1000 10000

:end

end:

;TRUE ? SetTutorialFlags 0

;check for level fail

TRUE ? SetR1 0

GetToolstoresBuilt = 0 ? AddR1 1

GetMinifiguresOnLevel = 0 ? AddR1 1

GetR1 = 2 ? SetLevelFail

;Here we have a list of all the functions.

;R0 counts what part of the mission the player is in

GetR0 = 0 ? :First

GetR0 = 1 ? :PreMagic

GetR0 = 2 ? :Play_Message

GetR0 = 3 ? :Magic_Block

/////////////////////////////////////////

First:

;Here we check if it's time to go to the Magic_Block

;We need to set a register to keep track of the current crystals at the time the magic block is found so that the game is won if, and only if, the amount of crystals is register_num + x

GetTutorialBlockIsGround 1 ? :PreMagic

Stop

Magic_Block:

GetTimer1 > 6000 ? :SlugEmerge

TRUE ? AddR2 9

GetCrystalsCurrentlyStored > GetR2 ? SetLevelCompleted

TRUE ? SubR2 9

Stop

;In this block, we prepare phase 2 of the mission.

PreMagic:

TRUE ? AddR0 1

TRUE ? SetCameraGotoTutorial 1

TRUE ? SetMessagePermit 0

TRUE ? SetMessage 1 0

TRUE ? :Play_Message

TRUE ? AddR0 1

Stop

Play_Message:

TRUE ? SetCameraGotoTutorial 1

GetMessageTimer > 0 ? Stop

TRUE ? SetTimer0 0

TRUE ? SetR2 GetCrystalsCurrentlyStored

;TRUE ? SetTimer0 0

TRUE ? SetMessagePermit 1

TRUE ? AddR0 1

TRUE ? SetTutorialCrystals 1 100

Stop

/////////////////////////////////////////

SlugEmerge:

TRUE ? SetTimer1 0

TRUE ? GenerateSlug

Stop

Skip:

TRUE ? SetMessagePermit 1

TRUE ? SetTimer0 0

TRUE ? SetTimer1 0

Stop

Next:

Clear:

Stop

finish:

stop

Complete:

TRUE ? SetLevelCompleted

If you could take a look at this script after you've reacquainted yourself, I'd appreciate it!

Oh yes I remember a level (forgot name) where you had to rescue some raiders and get crystals, however when you got the crystals you teleport out, was there something wrong with the level?

Just out of curiosity, have you tried using "Export > Lightwave 5" from LWModeler? (Or is this a 3rd party plugin I only have in my copy of modeller?)

Also, have you had problems with both animations and textured models? Or is it specifically one or the other?

Actually, the only problem I've found with LW7.0 is that exporting a model as a 5.x LWO causes it to superblack, i.e. all textures have a value of 00 00 00. As for animations and textured models, Doctor has already covered those, but I still don't understand why the teleport animations are so touchy.

Okay... My version of Lightwave (v8.0) is fully capable of writing LW5.6 version models and animations. The appropriate plugin in 'conv3d.p'. I have no idea if this is a standard plugin (i.e. installed with LW), or if it is a 3rd party plugin that we all use here at DDI (our copies of LW were always set up and configured by the head of art, so we all have exactly the same set of plugins).

I have uploaded the plugin here: http://www.rockraidersunited.org/index.php?/files/file/194-conv3dp/

Hopefully you will either have this plugin already, or it will otherwise work in your respective versions of LW. It should then allow you to export directly to a RockRaider-friendly format.

Edit: Just thought. It *may* need to be manually added to the menus in Lightwave. Let me know if it isn't there, and I'll dig out the relevant lines from my LWconfigs.

Thank you. I'll take a look at this later and let you know how it works.

Okay... Timers...

Again, this is from memory (and from peering at my old tutorial configs... if someone can confirm what I'm remembering that would be great...)

There are a few timers available, however 'Timer0' is reserved (It's used in 'nerpnrn.h'). It's best to just use 'Timer1' to begin with.

We can use Timer0 as we like - we don't have the luxury of nerpnrn.h xP

Well, we do now, thanks to ogun, but none of us have really tried making nrns - we just go for nrM. Someone needs to dig out a command-line C preprocessor for windows so that Cyrem can build it into his scripter :D:P

It's probably been asked before, but I'll repeat it (sorry xD): Do you have skype or the likes?

Hey, I have a quick question:

Would your uploaded plugin help Lightwave 9.0 export to Lightwave 5.X animations? I haven't tried it myself, but I heard from a few people on this forum that 9.X can't export LWS's properly. I can export models perfectly fine, at least, but unsure about animations.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.