Upgrading The Game Models

PWNZOR

Ya, I remember.

We still can't fix it. We can give LRR a ton of memory, but the problem's still there; LRR still can run out of memory. It'll just take longer if you allocate more memory.

I'll have to find out the how much Mediaplayer, three cam studios (so I don't have to wait as long to start plaing again), and LRR uses along with anything that might start up midgame before I try it. I want to make the most of it with out risking my computer. This might be the cause of most, if not all, of the random crashes.

This might be the cause of most, if not all, of the random crashes.

The cause of random crashes is the fact that LRR is fairly unstable, especially on newer OS's than win 98. Although, it is possible that the cfg/npl's are the cause of random crashes, as Addict's pre-alpha is remarkably stable.

The cause of random crashes is the fact that LRR is fairly unstable, especially on newer OS's than win 98. Although, it is possible that the cfg/npl's are the cause of random crashes, as Addict's pre-alpha is remarkably stable.

LRR's engine is over 11 years old, it's remarkable that it runs on the latest computers still.

Addict's fan game is stable? Being that the last alpha is not even a month old, I would definitely hope so...

Addict's fan game is stable? Being that the last alpha is not even a month old, I would definitely hope so...

No, not ORR. My RR overhaul.

Yeah I meant Addict's Overhaul. He completely redid the cfg and stripped as much of it as he could without breaking the game, and now the test level runs without any crashes (despite what he's done with the npl scripting lol).[/offtopic]

I'm looking forward to the rest of your models being redone PWNZOR. :af:

You still need a trigger.

I just told you. LRR is the trigger.

I just told you. LRR is the trigger.

What makes LRR crash? If LRR was the trigger, we wouldn't be here as it would not have been released.

It has to be a file or value.

What makes LRR crash? If LRR was the trigger, we wouldn't be here as it would not have been released.

Quit it with the overly large quotes! Put them in spoilers, or edit the quotes so that they don't have piles of others' quotes or the entire post quoted.

And LRR is simply unstable. It can simply run out of memory and crash. I know for a fact that if my laptop closes the screen, or I plug in the charger and make the screen switch its power source, then LRR display glitches and I have to restart the game. There are many, many things that can trigger a crash. That's what you get with a really old game you can't edit the .exe with.

LRR was not completely debugged or even finished as far as developing goes when it was released. Of course it has bugs. Most games that are released today have patches that are made after the game is released in order to correct bugs that were found after release. LRR was released back before patching was common in the game industry, the only game support that was offered was to help users install the game... and that support has ceased since the original release.

The file would be LegoRR.exe and/or LegoRR.icd... which is LRR itself and we canNOT mod it (not even to debug it).

So far, I've only changed the main base of the Tool Store (mobile-teleport.lwo) to high-poly, but the rest is rather easy to work on. I've just been busy with LEGO bricks, working on my tutorial (I updated, although it isn't terribly much; it's just BBCode gets really long, annoying, and confusing), and I have other things to do in my life that doesn't involve RRU. Don't worry, I've not given up on anything.

So far, I've only changed the main base of the Tool Store (mobile-teleport.lwo) to high-poly, but the rest is rather easy to work on. I've just been busy with LEGO bricks, working on my tutorial (I updated, although it isn't terribly much; it's just BBCode gets really long, annoying, and confusing), and I have other things to do in my life that doesn't involve RRU. Don't worry, I've not given up on anything.

K, nice ;)

Gradients look out of place in LRR. (This applies to ALL models.)

Please keep that in mind, PWNZOR. Other wise, you're doing a good job.

• 3 weeks later...

And i played crysis 2 today ( yeah it leaked ) i got like 1 miljoen poly's :P (you can see that because the leaked version is a beta version that has debug mode still on)

WE NEED TO USE THEIR GAME ENGINE.......

(Ok, we don't have the money to buy the game engine and source code)

Good bye Cry Engine 3

And i played crysis 2 today ( yeah it leaked ) i got like 1 miljoen poly's :P (you can see that because the leaked version is a beta version that has debug mode still on)

Good bye Cry Engine 3

My PC wouldn't be able to run that engine. :(

EDIT: well, that didn't make sense, as we're not going to use it anyway.

Good bye Cry Engine 3

My PC wouldn't be able to run that engine. :(

EDIT: well, that didn't make sense, as we're not going to use it anyway.

Lol it was a joke ;)

I think only 5% of the pc ussers can run crysis fluently

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like the game is trying to smooth all the polygons in your models. It would look a lot better if you can figure out a way to seperate certain areas so they get their own smoothingroup and thus 'break' light at sharp corners. This will also remove the black/dark areas on certain parts of the model.

I don't know how it's done for a game like RR though, maybe try seperating the UV's?

There is a smoothing property in lightwave that smooths various surfaces. I prefer smoothing on the curved surfaces, and just happen to use it for all surfaces. I am trying to start over on the graphics (like, getting these pre-made models, fixing them, and putting them back in the game), but for some reason, even if the lighting is all the way down, the textures look like they have 100% lighting shining on them. I don't know what the deal is.

On a side note, I haven't given up modeling, for all those who wish to know. I just haven't had a lot of time recently, and have been interested in other things. When I get the chance, and LRR decides to stop being stupid for once, I will pick modeling up again.

I am trying to start over on the graphics (like, getting these pre-made models, fixing them, and putting them back in the game), but for some reason, even if the lighting is all the way down, the textures look like they have 100% lighting shining on them. I don't know what the deal is.

It sounds like you're dealing with emissive textures. I use those to make glow effects, but they're usually found in the transparent light bricks' glow models. There are a few settings in Lightwave that you can toggle to turn these off, I think, but I'd have to look again to find the specific ones. I know they're in the surface editor, at least.

It sounds like you're dealing with emissive textures. I use those to make glow effects, but they're usually found in the transparent light bricks' glow models. There are a few settings in Lightwave that you can toggle to turn these off, I think, but I'd have to look again to find the specific ones. I know they're in the surface editor, at least.

This happens with unmodified raiders (well, HP mod, but those are already-used game models), ground, and lava.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.