Unreal Engine 3 (Udk)

legodude

Anyone here that has experience working with the Unreal Development Kit?

Epic Games has made it possible for beginners to make videogames on their engine with no charge whatsoever as long as there's no money involved in the project.

I myself am working on a commercial project using UDK, I must say it's an extremely powerful engine, probably the best I've worked with so far.

Making a (free) Rock Raiders type of game in this engine would be pretty awesome, but I'm lacking experience when it comes to UnrealScript.

Tauka Usanake

I've seen the program, opened once, closed it and never looked its way again. I think I still have a copy of it somewhere but not for this computer right now.

How is the development program anyways? Easy to use?

Epic Games has made it possible for beginners to make videogames on their engine with no charge whatsoever as long as there's no money involved in the project.

I myself am working on a commercial project using UDK...

I must ask, how can it be a "commercial" project if you're not allowed to sell it?

Sorry I explained it wrong.

You can use their engine to make games and release it for free without having to pay anything to Epic Games.

However, you can also make games and sell them to the public, for this however you need to pay 99 dollars and if you make more than 65.000 dollar income you need to pay 25% royalty to Epic games. Unless you are a professional studio, then you need to pay 2500 dollars for every developer seat in your studio.

The tools are really good, you can import game assets like models and textures with just two clicks, you can update your game assets with one click. You can make extremely complex materials inside the editor using a type of visual scripting.

For example, you can import a diffuse texture, turn it into a material, then make a grayscale specular map out of it and do countless of things with it.

Making levels / effects and basic things like moving objects is really easy (simple scripting isn't done with code but through visual script much like the CryEngine 2/3 has). Most games made with UDK are almost entirely dependant on models as geometry, this is really useful.

Lighting is top-notch, you can preview your game inside the editor without having to actually launch it.

In terms of creating the game assets I could easily create a Rock Raiders game in UDK, the problem is that I lack experience in UnrealScript which is obviously the backbone of the entire game. Unrealscript itself is a C-style high-level programming language

Masterchief

Well I am using the UDK for a commercial project. The good thing about the UDK is: Incredibly stable engine with awesome lighting! The bad thing about your project: You need the permission of Lego Interactive (you won´t get that) and you will need

at least 2 experienced C-script coders. (Most of them require accurate payments for their efforts).

I'm learning UDK in 1/2 years when I goto college (it is the main program you learn for Games Design course). I already have two projects I could start now in it (I attended an open day where they taught me some basic UDK skills) but I'm going to hold on to them for now...

I wish you the best of luck, and if the project is still open by then, I'll join for free.

I'm not starting / working on any project related to LEGO and/or Rock Raiders. I was just interested to see whom had experience using the Unreal Engine 3.

I'm not starting / working on any project related to LEGO and/or Rock Raiders. I was just interested to see whom had experience using the Unreal Engine 3.

Ah ok, my mistake (oh that slaps me on teh head)...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.