Spare A Little Help?

Goob

Ever hold your childhood memories into a stuffed animal, pet, pictures, or address? I have; and it's to this old red 1993 s10 my father has. I can remember everywhere my family went; from Kansas to Ohio. Bought it at 13,700 miles. Now it has 237,000 miles, and has potential for another 100000. The engine runs fine, never broke down; lost a little compression, but still runs. A/C died about 50,000 miles ago.

But to discover that the frame is about to rust in half, is really heartbreaking. You see, in the northern states of Ohio, and Colorado, it gets very snowy: which means a high demand for salt. Salt speeds up the process of rusting. To be honest, you're lucky if your truck lasts 120,000. The truck total is about $1200; and an aftermarket frame costs $2700. I only have $500 to spend. I am doing all I can to keep this from the shredder. (If your asking "Can't you just weld a rod to hold it together?" Ya, but you can't weld on DEEP rust. And if you grind all the rust off, there won't be a frame.)

I am very optimistic about saving this retired truck. I've seen a Saab last 1000000 miles.

Can anyone find a salvage frame (s10, Sonoma, Bravada; any year; ext cab) for at most $400 in or around Ohio? I would be forever greatful if you did.

I don't care if you call me crazy. But if I lose this, I lose the nostalgic memories.

Well, I'll take a look (even though I'm nowhere near America) and see if I can track someone down who could help you with this...cars are usually something that a man associates the best, so it would be wrong of me not to try help...

Tauka Usanake

Personally, do you have to sell the car? Our call got smashed into the side (where my little sister was sitting :af: ) and the insurance was trying to trash it because it was an old model. I forget what we did, maybe bought it out of its fate, but besides that I wouldn't even try to get rid of it for anything. Sure you just can't put it somewhere for save keeping like a garage?

Do you live in northern or southern Ohio? I live right on the edge of Northern Ohio. My dad works over in Toledo on semis but he used to work on cars as an autobody repairman. If getting a frame is your thing, go to junkyards and look around. Once you find a frame paint it with rust-resistant paint.

Edit: Blar you Cirevam always beating me. Do you transcend space and time to get to the topic before me? Humph...you ARE a time raider :af:

• 2 weeks later...

<-- *shivers*

Personally, do you have to sell the car? Our call got smashed into the side (where my little sister was sitting :af: ) and the insurance was trying to trash it because it was an old model. I forget what we did, maybe bought it out of its fate, but besides that I wouldn't even try to get rid of it for anything. Sure you just can't put it somewhere for save keeping like a garage?

Not gonna sell it. Quote from dad: "I'm not going to have a worthless, piece of [Please Talk Properly] truck in my garage. If you're not going to park yours in it, I will have the Escalade in it. Just give up; it isn't worth anything other than the tires and fiberglass cap."

You could look up some junkyards around your area or browse craigslist for a cheap frame, or even a parts truck. Regardless of what you do, if you get a new frame, make sure you get protective undercoating on it. And if you're in the Maryland area sometime this summer, maybe I could hit you up and we could go looking for parts. There are a ton of cars and trucks being sold around here that are in decent condition.

Maybe this summer I'll go, but the chances are slim.

Do you live in northern or southern Ohio? I live right on the edge of Northern Ohio. My dad works over in Toledo on semis but he used to work on cars as an autobody repairman. If getting a frame is your thing, go to junkyards and look around. Once you find a frame paint it with rust-resistant paint.Edit: Blar you Cirevam always beating me. Do you transcend space and time to get to the topic before me? Humph...you ARE a time raider :af:

West central, but we have a vacation home on Kelley's Island.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.