Baby Monsters

Lair

So when a Rock Monster dies, he turns into 3 Mini Rock Monsters. Same with Lava Monster. Ice monster becomes 3 baby Ice Monsters.

What defines all this? It's not hard-coded because monsters aren't hard-coded. Something to do with list arrangement? And why does a Lava monster become ROCK Monsters? And if it defaults then how does the Ice Monster have a seperate baby? And why won't new monsters turn into mini monsters?

Addictgamer

So when a Rock Monster dies, he turns into 3 Mini Rock Monsters. Same with Lava Monster. Ice monster becomes 3 baby Ice Monsters.

What defines all this? It's not hard-coded because monsters aren't hard-coded. Something to do with list arrangement? And why does a Lava monster become ROCK Monsters? And if it defaults then how does the Ice Monster have a seperate baby? And why won't new monsters turn into mini monsters?

I'm guessing AE/LWS magic.

Maybe, just maybe, it is hardcoded.

Like addict said, either it's got to do with the crumble animation/activity or it's hardcoded, as we really haven't found much code or anything to them.

Addictgamer

First off, I didn't say it was the crumble animation, I said AE/LWS stuff.

Second off, maybe there's some code that has to be changed in the ae/lws.

First off, I didn't say it was the crumble animation, I said AE/LWS stuff.

Second off, maybe there's some code that has to be changed in the ae/lws.

Animation means LWS. You should know that./

There's nothing in either the AE or the LWS that mentions baby monsters at all. My best guess is that it's something hardcoded. There's also the issue of the game crashing when you try to change how the baby monsters react. When trying to make Recursive Monsters and replacing the baby's CFG entry and files with the RM's, the game crashes when babies are spawned. You can change the animation without any problems... but there's something that we're missing.

I was digging through the exe and found alot of coding that has to do with flock AI (not the flocking monster's AI but an AI that flocks. Raider's AI has a flocking aspect to it). I also remember seeing something about monster split. I can't remember in detail what it said but it had some file paths to monster folders.

I remember looking through the EXE and finding references to various kinds of monsters by name. I HATE HARD CODE.

So it's hardcoded, yes.

But the monsters themselves aren't... are they?

I have yet to see a real live custom monster.

All I see a re-textures.

All I see a re-textures.

I don't see what you mean. I've posted tons of pictures of tons of custom monsters, and you know I make lots of custom monsters, levels and raiders. And what's that got to do with the monsters being hard-coded or Baby Monsters?

All I see a re-textures.

I don't see what you mean. I've posted tons of pictures of tons of custom monsters, and you know I make lots of custom monsters, levels and raiders. And what's that got to do with the monsters being hard-coded or Baby Monsters?

You were asking if monsters were hard-coded and I said that I have never really seen a completely custom enemy at all.

You don't make custom enemies because all you do (as far as I know) is make re-textures.

I am just making a point is all.

As an example: The helmets were a custom part.

The bulldozer whats his face made is a custom vehicle.

All I see a re-textures.

You were asking if monsters were hard-coded and I said that I have never really seen a completely custom enemy at all.

You don't make custom enemies because all you do (as far as I know) is make re-textures.

I am just making a point is all.

You still don't get that you don't press the enter key twice after every sentance.

I do retexture monsters, but I don't replace anything. I discovered how to add custom Monsters and levels long ago. Therefore, I do indeed add custom enemies.

And plus, this topic is about baby monsters, and how it seems that the splitting is hard-code even though THE MONSTERS ARE NOT.

The bulldozer whats his face made

Why do I even bother...

I've made custom monsters before. Obviously some people don't pay attention to some of the things I make, which is understandable, but still:

These just walked around mostly aimlessly and combo-attacked Bulldozers.

See, that's a custom monster.

And why don't you just add custom baby lava monsters into the game if you already know how to add custom monsters?

Anonymouse

Which baby monsters are spawned from which normal monsters is hardcoded for some strange reason that entirely escapes me.

• 2 months later...

EXE snooping has shown me something.

It's definatally hardcoded. Permanently. Forever. Goodbye.

There will never be splitting of anything but those three monsters.

Even though the monsters are not hard-coded, they are.

You can only have three monsters set off emerge triggers and split into babies. Sorry. If you want something else, DDI says FROST YOU.

If you change the two references in the EXE you can swap which monster appears, but there are only entries for ice and rock, nothing for lava monster. So it will forever spawn rock.

It's worse that my mod has to work in only three monsters triggering the emerge and making baby monsters :/

Exactly, but there's not much we can do. Unless you're willing to really buckle down, study NERPS+ and hopefully find code to spawn X monster when Y monster is killed, it looks like this is one mod that isn't going to happen untill addict finished ORR.

It's worse that my mod has to work in only three monsters triggering the emerge and making baby monsters :/

Exactly, but there's not much we can do. Unless you're willing to really buckle down, study NERPS+ and hopefully find code to spawn X monster when Y monster is killed, it looks like this is one mod that isn't going to happen untill addict finished ORR.

Feh. I'll just have the death anim have baby monsters jump into the ground.

Feh. I'll just have the death anim have baby monsters jump into the ground.

That's actually a good idea...I should have thought of that!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.