Why Do My Rr Keep Doing Nothing?

Xhukari

Recently started playing this game from my childhood, on a laptop.

Plagued with crashes which I've seemed to have fixed now...

I'm on 'Back to Basics'. And I can't complete... I know some things to do, but my issue is, about halfway through all the Rock Raiders just start ignoring everything.

My plans are to discover that cavern with the water & island full of crystals.. then build a base to the cavern left of there... This has worked several times. But when it comes to actually trying to get a RR to shovel the rubble.. he never does it - it also seems to be effecting the rest of them too.

I've tried all sorts to get a RR to shovel the rubble on that island, including changing priorities, changing the RR himself, teleporting down a new one and trying to get him to do it manually. - All he does is move over to the spot then throw up his idle status sign of ZZZ. One occasion, each time I tried to manually get him to shovel the rubble, he'd go over to that location... then pick up an energy crystal (even though it was turned OFF in priorities) - and yes I made sure the icon had the animation of shovelling rubble rather than picking up an energy crystal everytime.

I've tried everything I can think of and I have seen from suggestions for others suffering similar issues, such as turning off all priorities that aren't needed, then turning them on if ever needed, always keeping the shovel rubble one off, as well as trying to teleport down a whole new team to replace the old one.... all situations result in idleness.

Funnily enough, the time I tried to go through it all with shovelling off, when I turned it on when these issues propped up, they all ran over to far away rubble.. then went idle - even though the shovel priority was on! (as they only started to move the instant I turned it on).

The most successful result from stopping Idle RRs is to restart the level... but that's not working for me - everytime they all go idle about halfway through.

My superstitions is that everytime all the RR go idle, is when the game would've used to crash...

There are some faults in the AI. It's really bricky AI. It's actualy good because other RTS games required you to do EVERYTHING, while Rock Raiders collected and cleared for you. And shot too (unfortuntaly, this takes all the fun out of it). But it's also terrible AI. Rock Raiders clear the rubble furthest away first, especialy when your air is low and you need a Support Station fast. They cut corners over lava (On Lava Laughter, Rock Raiders with guns often walk out into the lava lake and start shooting... from the lava) and can't figure out how to not overload the refinery.

Sometimes, when you've mined too much and there's hundreds of blocks of rubble, they glitch and can't figure out what to do, so they do nothing.

However, the situation you described is especialy severe. At least they should do a few things, but absolute disobediance?

A suggestion: Try to mine just enough to power a Support Station. Then get a Tunnel Scout and go over to that island. Teleport up all Rock Raiders but the pilot. Clear the rubble, build a tool store, then teleport up the rest of your base before the slugs come. This, of course, assumes you just want to complete the level and no explore it. It may not work, seeing the serious issue you have there.

The AI is very bad when it comes to performance.

Many competitive tasks created by the player can cause it to break.

Had the same problem. I made him pick up the crystals one by one and place them on the other side. I then (somehow) made him clear the rubble after that by setting collect ore to highest. I made him drop all the ore on one side then placed a power path. He then automatically collected the ore there and made it. I teleported down a tool store and made collect crystal top priority.

If you want to explore then every time you get enough crystals teleport down a really big vehicle. once you have enough crystals stored in vehicles you can teleport all the vehicles up. Crystal frenzy anyone? By the time the slugs start spawning you will have picked up all the crystals and won.

I think increasing the texture usage in the cfg helps this some. I haven't had problems with my RR's in a long time.... although I haven't played the longer levels in a while.

Thanks for all the responses people! :D

When these issues prop up wouldn't be out of the timeframe of the standard mission...

I tried Rockwhale's idea... and it worked! My RR finally shovelled the rubble!

But then wouldn't pick up ore/crystal so the Tool Store could teleport... -.- (already had the powerpath & ..foundations? of the Toolstore down).

Well, I managed to get him to pick up roughly two, but then it went back to it's ignoring on the 3rd-ish.

The only reason I can fathom for this is that was when I teleported out my base (due to being attacked).

The only reason I can fathom for this is that was when I teleported out my base (due to being attacked).

Teleporting out your Rock Raiders means all tasks go to only the one fellow, so I don't know why that would happen. I remember this happening to me on some level recently (same one? O.o), but it went back to normal after a few power paths (like H2 said). I'm not sure what the issue here is though. But you can't teleport a toolstore until all ore is off of the green block foundation.

He said he teleported out his base, not all but one rock raider. RR's clear the most recent rubble and pick up the most recent ore/crystals. When you teleported up your base, you left a bunch of "new" ore and crystals that the RR's would try to pick up before picking up what was in the way of your new toolstore.

He said he teleported out his base, not all but one rock raider. RR's clear the most recent rubble and pick up the most recent ore/crystals. When you teleported up your base, you left a bunch of "new" ore and crystals that the RR's would try to pick up before picking up what was in the way of your new toolstore.

They wouldn't try to get ore that's across a river or anywhere inaccessable (except Air Raiders where they run up the wall)

Just because they can't get to it, doesn't mean it's not the first thing in queue demanding the AI to calculate some valid path.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.