Run Conquest Earth On Win Xp & Win 7 64Bit + Without A Disc

Cyrem

Conquest Earth was if I remember correctly DDI's first RTS for the PC. Actually, I believe they made it just before Rock Raiders. But anyway I have a boxed copy of it and it's designed to run on Win 95 or MS-DOS. So today I got it to run on Windows 7 64Bit and without needing disc 2 in the drive!

Running the game without a Disc

On disc 2 there will be 2 files with the names CD2 and FLIC03.Wad. Copy both these files into the main installation directory of Conquest Earth. And that is it, it runs without the discs. I found that if I didn't do this, when I went to run the game, it would give me an error due to missing sound files... so this fixes it.

Running on Windows XP 32bit

It's easier to get the game running on Win XP than 7. Firstly find the shortcut to the 32bit DOS version of the game, right click and hit properties. Then go to the compatibility tab. Set it to Windows 95, turn off 'Visual Themes', turn on '640x480' resolution and turn on '256 colours'. Now, only the DOS versions of the game work, so either click the 32bit DOS shortcut to start the game.

Running on Windows 7 64bit

Well this is a pain because the game won't run under 64bit. Not only that, the installer won't work for that same reason.

Installing

Well this isn't technically installing, what we are going to do is manually grab the files of the disc and throw them in a folder.

1. Create a folder in C:\ drive name it "Conquest".

2. Open the contents of disc 1.

3. Inside you'll see a folder called "CE". Copy everything in there (minus the DirectX folder) to the folder you made in C:\ .

4. On the disc there will be another folder called "Wads". Copy all the files in that folder (don't copy the 'Minimal' folder) into the folder in C:\ .

5. Do what the 'Running the game without a Disc' part above says also.

6. In your folder you made in C:\ , there will be a folder called "LANG". Open that, then open the 'English' Folder then copy the file out of there and paste it in the top-most directory with all the .exe files.

7. Finally, delete the "LANG" Folder.

Running the game

The only way to do this is using DOSBox.

1. Download and install DOSbox.

2. Start up DOSbox and type:

MOUNT C C:\CONQUEST\
C:\
CE32.bat

3. The game should now start and everything should be fine and dandy.

Note: I recommend setting the CPU cycles to about 60000... so you don't get smashed in under 10 seconds.

DDI will be proud :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.