Pc Vs Mac

Amauros

WINDOWS: Will Install Needless Data Over Whole System

MACINTOSH: Most Applications Crash, If Not, The Operating System Hangs

WINDOWS: Will Install Needless Data Over Whole System

MACINTOSH: Most Applications Crash, If Not, The Operating System Hangs

*NIX: I CAN SEE EVERYTHING

One thing I've never understood is why people differentiate Apple computers from all others by not calling them PCs, when PC stands for Personal Computer. If you're buying an Apple computer for your own use, i.e. personal use... you're buying a personal computer.

Maybe if Apple did commercials where PC and Mac were the same guy, more people would understand that instead of PC and Mac being "friends."

One thing I've never understood is why people differentiate Apple computers from all others by not calling them PCs, when PC stands for Personal Computer. If you're buying an Apple computer for your own use, i.e. personal use... you're buying a personal computer.

Maybe if Apple did commercials where PC and Mac were the same guy, more people would understand that instead of PC and Mac being "friends."

But we all know that Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are mortal enemies.

Bill gates is just better at making computers and using his legal savvy expertise to monopolize people like Steve Jobs out of software and GUIs.

Like he did when Steve Jobs signed a contract with Bill Gates to make an exclusive program for Macintosh computers that would later turn into the Microsoft Excel program

Or when they signed a contract about Bill Gates not making a Graphically superior GUI for 12 months and he released a GUI for what I thing was Windows 3.0 (or one before that), 2 months after the contract was signed.

Steve Jobs didn't get anything out of both contracts because he is a stupid dunce.

Don't quote me on these though.

I read this in a book on friday and I can't really remember the finer details of what it said about these 2 things.

I think they might of been the same contract even.

You dawg, I heard you likes thinkin' Bill Gates build computers, so here's da lowdown:

Microsoft was actually founded as an autotype/teletype repair company by college students Bill Gates and [insert name here]. This was before computers as we know it FYI. Bill Gates went to a summer computer camp and worked with huge transistor computers. He spent a long time there programming and got kicked out eventually for locking the computer up with a large program. He then had an idea to make an easy programming language so he made a simple board for a teletype machine that allowed programming and created BASIC. It only had a few commands as the computers at the time weren't powerful enough. He began selling the language to colleges and stuff.

As time went on the first PCs began emerging. The Altair 8800 originally used a machine language for the intel 8080 CPU. Although it only had 16 KB of RAM, it was easily expandable and Bill ported BASIC to it. People began seeing how much of a success BASIC was so the standard of minicomputing was BASIC.

Steve Jobs and Steve Wozzniak, fresh out of college, decided to start a computer industry. They began by building simple calculators from the motorolla CPUs. Wozzniak had always wanted to build a computer but the motorolla processors were much too expensive. MOS technologies introduced the cheap new revolutionary 6502 processor which fit Wozzy's bill perfectly. Steve and Steve then designed and began building the Apple 1. The best operating system available was BASIC (by Microsoft) so they used it.

Eventually Commodore joined the computing line and built the Personal Electronic Transactor, or PET (after buying both MOS technologies, and BASIC from Microsoft). Apple didn't like this so they made their own version of BASIC and Microsoft teamed up with IBM and made DOS. Apple and Commodore were always competing with Commodore building computers for the public and Apple building computers for schools and businesses. IBM went for producing open-source platforms for hobbyists/geeks. Eventually, near the video game crash, Commodore (being always game focused) plummeted and went bankrupt. Apple continued producing computers and stole Commodore's GUI operating system. IBM came up with PC architecture and introduced many of today's modern traits of the PC.

This should be renamed Mac Vs. Windows

This should be renamed Mac Vs. Windows

To be fair the topic title should be "Microsoft versus Apple," and the topic description should be "with some Linux."

So it would say: Microsoft versus Apple, with some Linux.

• 2 weeks later...

It's because people buying Macs don't know much about computers.

Also their iPad ads should be banned, they take advantage of peoples minds and make them think that life without an Apple product is painful.

The apple os is extremely small and not very resource hungry. That's why I use it for my graphics design :)

I love windows. Only problem is its instability. Suddenly, EXPLORER.EXE HAS STOPPED RESPONDING!!! while trying to sort out incredibly important files.

I also love linux but none of the applications offered on it are what I'm into.

My all-time favorite operating system is BASIC. Love love love BASIC. I wish there was a modern OS that was just a BASIC prompt with a GUI. I would download it and preach its goodness to the world! BASIC is a simple enough language that it can be used as a main OS and have morons know how to use it. If typing in a few commands is too difficult a GUI could be adapted like how there are linux GUIs over the basic linux whatever it's called.

The old apple OSes (spell check said that's a word :|) like OS 7 through 9 were very user friendly and the RISC architecture of the processor is a programmer's paradise.

I truly cannot say there is a computer OS I do not like. They all have their strengths and weaknesses so one is only better than the other depending on what you want to do with it. The pointless hating on Apple and Microsoft shows that you guys are all high-level language programmers (high level languages are the languages like C++ and stuff. Low level is assembly and some forms of BASIC.).

The pointless hating on Apple and Microsoft shows that you guys are all high-level language programmers (high level languages are the languages like C++ and stuff. Low level is assembly and some forms of BASIC.).

And being a high-level programmer is a bad thing? Besides, I know MIPS fairly well. But I guess that doesn't matter because my dislike of many of Apple's design philosophies overrides that, according to you.

The pointless hating on Apple and Microsoft shows that you guys are all high-level language programmers (high level languages are the languages like C++ and stuff. Low level is assembly and some forms of BASIC.).

Well, no. I'm actually very sure that many of the people in here aren't programmers anyway. Yes, I'm high-level, but only as far as C and Batch. And also, this hate is pretty much the result of mainstream popularity. Why do you think there's only 3 consoles in the gaming market today?

Actually you have this backwards. BASIC is a high-level programming language. C++ is intermediate and ASM is low-level.

Actually you have this backwards. BASIC is a high-level programming language. C++ is intermediate and ASM is low-level.

This being true, I'm having trouble buying anything H2 says anymore. Basic is pathetic, btw.

Basic is pathetic, btw.

BASIC has it's uses. There are some BASIC spin-offs that are quite powerful.

Basic is pathetic, btw.

BASIC has it's uses. There are some BASIC spin-offs that are quite powerful.

Ok Cyrem, riddle me this: What to we all use thats programmed in Basic?

RockmoddeR

Stop the bickering before I spam ponies.

Do you WANT me to spam ponies?

I thought not.

Shut up and post funny pictures!

ANYWAYS:

20021126uw6.jpg

I just totally realized how he says nothing about being able to play Deer Hunter 2 after he buys his Mac.

i use windows 7 for most stuff

however i have dabbled in the ubuntu flavor of linux

i dont like macs because its like a kids toy to me

meh.ro2936.jpg

Basic is pathetic, btw.

Have you ever used it? It's extremely powerful.

10 PRINT LOL

20 GOTO 10

Yeah. Well, same as before: Name us something that's widely used and programmed in Basic.

Basic is pathetic, btw.

10 PRINT LOL

20 GOTO 10

Yeah. Well, same as before: Name us something that's widely used and programmed in Basic.

Allow me to correct you. It would be:

10 PRINT "LOL"

20 GOTO 10

Many things still use BASIC today. In fact, a few nuclear power pants rely on computers running BASIC. Why BASIC? It's an incredibly small programming language only needing a minimum of 8 KB of ROM for itself and 4 KB of RAM to function smoothly. BASIC is more than just "PRINT" and "GOTO" if that bloated thing you call an opinion is based off of that. Modern BASIC has way too many commands to actually count.

Don't dis something you don't have any information about.

Basic is pathetic, btw.

10 PRINT LOL

20 GOTO 10

Allow me to correct you. It would be:

10 PRINT "LOL"

20 GOTO 10

Many things still use BASIC today. In fact, a few nuclear power pants rely on computers running BASIC. Why BASIC? It's an incredibly small programming language only needing a minimum of 8 KB of ROM for itself and 4 KB of RAM to function smoothly. BASIC is more than just "PRINT" and "GOTO" if that bloated thing you call an opinion is based off of that. Modern BASIC has way too many commands to actually count.

Don't dis something you don't have any information about.

Good sir. We are not in 1989 when computers actually had those specs. I would hope that something like a nuclear power plant would receive enough funding to buy a computer more powerful than my cell phone.

You underestimate the power of BASIC. BASIC does not run only on slow underpowered machines. I had DOS running BASIC on my custom (that died) a few years ago. The nuclear power plant does not use an underpowered computer. I don't know exactly how powerful it is because that's information that terrorists could use to make big booms. The language used is a very advanced form of BASIC and it is not just a simple BASIC with the READY prompt. It's integrated.

As I said before, stop dissing stuff you cannot comprehend. I know more about legacy hardware than you ever will.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.