Mike Meyer's Networking Textbook

Amauros

This guy is the first author of a class textbook I've read, that has ever addressed the reader in a personal manner. This is also the first textbook I've read that has actually told me to take a break... to play video games no less. :af: lol He even shares his WoW and Steam information so you can hang out with him and play games if you like...

Wait, what is this textbook EXACTLY on? Specifically how internet networks function, or does it give background on other computer systems?

Wait, what is this textbook EXACTLY on?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Mike+Meyer%27s+Networking+Textbook

Edit: Oh balls. I just had the weirdest though about having Fat b****** as my Network Admin teacher this year 8S

1. Wait, what is this textbook EXACTLY on?

2. Specifically how internet networks function, or does it give background on other computer systems?

1. Preparation for the CompTIA Network+ certification

2. It goes over the history of networking, what the standards are today (as far as physical networking goes), and how network works above the physical layer (google OSI seven-layer model). It does go over how to set up networks, both on the hardware and software side, for windows, macs, and linux (ubuntu specifically).

I've just recently finished going over chapter 7, which talks about old and current methods of network communication. Unfortunately, it's 2 years old, so it's not quite up to date... but the "current" method of network communication is TCP/IP, IPv4 and (briefly mentions) IPv6. It has chapter 13 dedicated to the "new" IPv6 as Mike believes it to be critically important to future networking, but it's also required knowledge for the certification.

Anyways, he likes to talk to the reader like you're in the room with him... which is cool. lol

1. Wait, what is this textbook EXACTLY on?

2. Specifically how internet networks function, or does it give background on other computer systems?

1. Preparation for the CompTIA Network+ certification

2. It goes over the history of networking, what the standards are today (as far as physical networking goes), and how network works above the physical layer (google OSI seven-layer model). It does go over how to set up networks, both on the hardware and software side, for windows, macs, and linux (ubuntu specifically).

I've just recently finished going over chapter 7, which talks about old and current methods of network communication. Unfortunately, it's 2 years old, so it's not quite up to date... but the "current" method of network communication is TCP/IP, IPv4 and (briefly mentions) IPv6. It has chapter 13 dedicated to the "new" IPv6 as Mike believes it to be critically important to future networking, but it's also required knowledge for the certification.

Anyways, he likes to talk to the reader like you're in the room with him... which is cool. lol

Thank you for the awesome answer, unlike some people whose heads are probably full of bollocks...

Looks like I might need it in the future, but probably not now.

1. Thank you for the awesome answer, unlike some people whose heads are probably full of bollocks...

2. Looks like I might need it in the future, but probably not now.

1. Np, I guess. :P lol

2. Probably not, at least not this addition. This book is pending removal from the class. I could provide you with the list of books we'll be studying out of... that is if you want to teach yourself to become a network administrator. ;)

P.s. A network admin would be one or two steps up from Cyrem....and you get paid!!!

2. Probably not, at least not this addition. This book is pending removal from the class. I could provide you with the list of books we'll be studying out of... that is if you want to teach yourself to become a network administrator. ;)

That would be fantastic if you could.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.