Incredible Amount Of Lag

The Ascending Space

The Ascending Space

So, I've been looking around the game help area of the fourm, and I have been reading on some of the answers to how to solve the lag issues. I suffer much lag when I have developed a decent base (all of the ones up to support station, one of each) and even before that point, whenever I hover above the base, it starts to lag like nuts. Anyways, I am hearing that a good way to solve this problem is to find the CFG file I believe and change the texture usage value to a higher amount. However, I have no idea where this is.

I run a Window's 7 Acer labtop, 4GB DDR3 Memory and 500 GB hard drive data. It's a really noobish question, and I didn't want to ask it, but I got nothing to lose here. Any info would be much appreciated.

Also, I do own the game, but I lost it some time ago. So I had downloaded a iso copy of the game which works just fine. All of the data is unpacked, but I am having trouble looking for the right files.

Is there a way to fix this?

If you have a Radeon graphics card, not really. Even with a high TextureUsage value most people still have lag when viewing stock buildings (my custom buildings don't lag though). NVIDIA doesn't seem to have problems, and when I use integrated graphics on the CPU or whatever you would call it it doesn't seem to lag either.

The CFG file is in LegoRR1.wad, or in the LegoRR1 folder if you extracted the files using the WAD Tool.

The Ascending Space

Alright, thanks for the info. I can't find the LegoRR1.Wad file at all, and it doesn't say it's anywhere in the system. But if what you said is true about the Radeon graphics card, then I probabbly won't have to worry about that. Thanks again Cirevam.

Alright, thanks for the info. I can't find the LegoRR1.Wad file at all, and it doesn't say it's anywhere in the system. But if what you said is true about the Radeon graphics card, then I probabbly won't have to worry about that. Thanks again Cirevam.

If you've already unpacked the data like you said in the first post, then go into your "Data" folder in the place you installed LegoRR to, and then you should see LEGO.cfg.

BTW, I have Radeon Legacy (like a x1300/x1550) and I get no lag. Then again, maybe it's because mine is old...

The Ascending Space

dataunpack1.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the directory where the ISO file was unpacked, and where the game runs and all. I made a shortcut here before to play the game from the desktop.

datafolder.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And that is the Data folder opened from that last image

Does that help at all?

also, I didn't use the WAD tool to extract the files, I used WinRar

Try installing the game so you can actually play the game, because all you did was copy the movies and some sound files to your computer.

The Ascending Space

Which file am I specifically looking for the installer? I tried setup and auto-run, but setup doesn't start no matter how many times I try it, and all auto run does is run the game (which I already figured it would do)

Again, I wish I knew these files better, I feel pretty stupid right now.

Setup is the installer. If it's not working then run it in compatibility mode for an older version of Windows and see if it works. But you say the game runs when you open autorun, which doesn't make any sense. All autorun does is run the setup file, sometimes with fancier windows that give you extra options before installation...

The Ascending Space

Here's a video showing what I was talking about in the previous post, if it helps to clarify just what I did.

http://youtu.be/N-L7ru9pcKA

The Ascending Space

I followed the instuctions you provided on the Youtube video, and there still seems to be no luck. Mounted with Daemon tools didn't help the setup any better, and I believe the WAD tool I was supposed to use (Is that the universal extractor?) just becomes un responsive after a while (like, 30 minutes or so without touching it). Am I supposed to compile a new WAD out of the WinRar file? Or do I do something else first?

The Ascending Space

Now this is really strange. There is no "Data.Cab" file on the mounted disk, or the installed directory. Only Data. hdr, Data.Dat, and Data.TAG.

I'm starting to think it's the game that I downloaded itself that has the problem.

Now this is really strange. There is no "Data.Cab" file on the mounted disk, or the installed directory. Only Data. hdr, Data.Dat, and Data.TAG.

I'm starting to think it's the game that I downloaded itself that has the problem.

No mate, you have a different problem.

You need to goto "Tools", "Folder Options", then the "View" tab, and where the checkboxes are click the circle next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" AND de-check the box next to "Hide Extensions for Known File Types".

Once you press "Ok", you should see a whole bunch of new extensions (the .??? bit after a file) appear, and you'll be able to locate your "Missing" Data.cab.

The Ascending Space

That did display the Data.cab file, thanks, but it's a WinRar file, and it appears to be damaged when I try to open it. From following the process that displayed the Data.cab file, it doesn't look like any for files had appeared, so the CFG file still isn't here. Do I need to open the Data.cab WinRar file in another program?

The Ascending Space

Alright, sorry for the misunderstanding. I have extracted all of the files with the universal extractor, and I have now finally found the CFG file. Final question (hopefully) that remains is how do I alter the texture usage value?

Near the top of the CFG, there's a line that says TextureUsage. Just add a zero to the end and you'll be able to teleport many more raiders and buildings before the game complains.

The Ascending Space

Ehm, the top of the CFG? I am a bit confused by what that means. Is it trying to open the file, because I don't know where or what this line is.

This is what the folder looks like:

cfgfile.png

When we say CFG, we are referencing the file "LEGO.cfg", which is visible in that screenshot.

Open it up in a text editor (like notepad or something).

The Ascending Space

Ah, finally was able to find and open it. The value was already pretty high, and as Cirevam stated before, it didn't really help. On the bright side though, I know how to do it on other systems and I was able to find all of the AVI's that I wasn't able to find before.

Thanks for all the help everybody!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.