9-Pin Fail

Tracker

I have a problem with the Explorer (a Inspiron 600m) that to most would be a little trouble to most since they don't use the affected component: The 9-pin COM. Since we are on a roll here with these "Little Things," and this won't be the last time someone will need a "repair" like these, I don't think this is worth a new topic. Here is the problem: it will not detect a Sypbotics cable. I have had the motherboard replaced and the system restored to no avail. To make matters worse, that COM port is the reason this model was chosen.

I have discovered this in quest for the fix: http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=inspiron+600m+com&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3MOZA_enUS383US383&ie=UTF-8&aq=4&oq=Inspiron+600m+com#q=inspiron+600m+serial+port&hl=en&rlz=1B3MOZA_enUS383US383&prmd=ivns&ei=PmBpTtXLE67E0AH58Lj3BA&start=10&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=82654fa1fa09e28&biw=1600&bih=741

Apparently, these things do work and this sounds like mine, minus the history of working. Any idea as to what causes this?

As I mentioned earlier, I've had some trouble with DB9 ports just recently. Here's what I know:

A few weeks ago I was having trouble getting a generic DB9-to-USB converter working with a really old (mid-90's) diagnostics computer for a Sprinter van. It wouldn't make a connection no matter what, so I had to buy a converter that came with software that lets the user manually assign the COM port instead of letting Windows do it automatically. I found that older versions of Windows only use COM1 through COM4, and newer versions starting from XP go up to COM8 but reserve COM1 and 2 for an arbitrary reason, even though they're not used by anything most of the time. Even if you use an older computer, you should make sure it's actually using a COM port that the program wants to use. That's all I can do for now.

As I mentioned earlier, I've had some trouble with DB9 ports just recently. Here's what I know:

A few weeks ago I was having trouble getting a generic DB9-to-USB converter working with a really old (mid-90's) diagnostics computer for a Sprinter van. It wouldn't make a connection no matter what, so I had to buy a converter that came with software that lets the user manually assign the COM port instead of letting Windows do it automatically. I found that older versions of Windows only use COM1 through COM4, and newer versions starting from XP go up to COM8 but reserve COM1 and 2 for an arbitrary reason, even though they're not used by anything most of the time. Even if you use an older computer, you should make sure it's actually using a COM port that the program wants to use. That's all I can do for now.

The "reserved" COM Ports are for bluetooth/azurefang (don't know if the second is real, I've just heard rumors) devices. Back when I was competing in the First Tech Challenge, to control the robot we needed a bluetooth compatible machine or a bluetooth dongle to wirelessly connect with the on-board NXT brick. and in order to do that I (the rest of the team only cared about the building process - even our team mentors yelled at me to "stop playing with the computer" when I was programing) needed to configure COM ports, and COM 1 & COM 2 were the only ones selectable. As for older computers, COM 4 was reserved for USB if such a device were to use it, but multiple devices could connect through that single port.

That's weird man...my Dell Dimension 8400 had no problems recognising the Spybotic. It was only the fact I had broken the disc that was the problem.

Look at the hyperlink. Data is going out but not coming in is what it looks like. Why that is is anybody's guess. By the way, DB9 is the name of the connector, not the port.

[10:17:13 PM] James Pettit: Extreme

[10:17:29 PM] James Pettit: tell Tracker he needs a straight-through DB9 and not a crossover

His advice, not mine.

I tried the one attached to the mother board.

Well isn't your computer special. Can you get an expansion card with some serial ports? Maybe that would work.

Um, do you know what a 600m is?

It's this thing:

bulls***picturehere

Blah blah blah. Use a different computer, then. Laptops are f***ED.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.