Head Confusion

lol username

Whenever talking about minifigures online, I've seen people talk about three versions of the minifigure head - solid stud, hollow stud with triangular slots, and hollow stud without the slots (just introduced recently). However, in my collection, I noticed this:

http://www.rockraidersunited.org/index.php?/gallery/image/3986-head-comparison-1/

http://www.rockraidersunited.org/index.php?/gallery/image/3987-head-comparison-2/

http://www.rockraidersunited.org/index.php?/gallery/image/3988-head-comparison-3/

There's two versions of the solid stud head, one with the same shape as the two modern hollow stud heads (but with a solid stud of course), and there's also a head with a solid stud and a different shape around the top and bottom. All the heads shown in these pictures came from my older brothers, they mainly bought LEGO sets around the mid-late 80s. They only had two Pirates sets as far as I know - the Black Seas Barracuda and Forbidden Island. Both came with Captain Redbeard minifigures, and I have two Captain Redbeard minifigures, but they don't have the same head mold (see picture). Yet they were released in the same year and most likely bought in the same year. So what's up with this?

The main reason I'm asking this is because I'm working on a 3D minifigure model at the moment, for use in my fan-made game based off of LEGO sets from 1978, and I don't know which version of the solid stud head to use. Help? Thanks.

Also, random trivia - early minifigure models for LEGO Universe used the solid stud head with the more rigid corners, but this was quickly changed.

LegoUniverseCaptJackKnife.png

Very_early_minifigure.PNG

They all look the same to me. I'd use the one which is going to have the least polys/is going to be easiest to model; so long as it looks LEGO, I think you'll be fine.

^It's a bit hard to tell in the picture, but the heads on the left hand side are bit less.... rounded near the top.

Also, I've checked some of my older minifigures against some newer ones, and they all use the rounder head, including my Captain Redbeard minifig.

Interesting... It seems like I have some heads that are less round, now that I think about it. I do not really play with my LEGO's much anymore (they are used for my brother's stop-motions though), but that still looks familiar.

The oldest set I would own would probably be the Loco promo set; the rest are from past 2000.

As for which head to use, my first choice would be the period accurate one. But it may be best to use the one that is easier to model in 3D.

Very good trivia! I have seen those early LU 3D models, and I have noticed that the heads were more boxy, but I did not know that was an early minifig head design. I thought it was just an early 3D design, and they would be refined as development went on.

Boxy heads were used in the 80's at least. I have plenty of LEGOLAND sets from then, most of which had the boxy head style. I can gather that boxy heads were used in the 70's as well.

Jamesster, just go with the solid-stud head, the one with "LEGO" on the stud, like regular LEGO studs. I'm quite certian that was the head design back in '78.

They don't call me "McStudz" for nothing.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.