What You Don't Like About Rock Raiders

Lair

Exactly what the title says: What things do you dislike about the Rock Raiders PC game? Anything from appearance, functions, behaviors, items, level designs, etc. I just want to know the things people dislike as I want to try to fix these things in my mod.

There are too many "just collect crystals" missions in the original game. I would have liked to see more Don't Panic! styled levels since there's an actual threat there. Strip-mining 80,000 granite caverns is just boring. The same goes for exploration levels like Split Down the Middle to a lesser extent, but that still ended in crystal collection. At least the first half was interesting.

Rock Raider, Tool Store, Teleport Pad, Power Station, Support Station, Small Transport Truck. Those are the only things that have any real purposes in the game. Water vehicles are useless because the Tunnel Scout and Tunnel Transport exist and you don't need an extra building for flying vehicles. Everything past a Support Station is useless unless it can train raiders, and then it becomes useless after the one time you use it to train all of your raiders, except maybe the Upgrade Station since it can make STTs better. The Hover Scout literally does nothing without player input, and when you do make it do something you'll find that it's no more than a Segway without wheels, which sounds cool on paper until you realize that it can't go over water, which makes NO SENSE. The drilling vehicles are unnecessary because dynamite exists. The Loader Dozer wastes time by running back and forth between random rubble piles and preventing a raider from drilling or being in an STT, unless you upgrade it and specifically mark rubble for clearing, which still wastes the player's time because the Loader Dozer is slower than a raider. It also takes the same time for both a raider and a Loader Dozer to clear rubble. Consider that next time you have four crystals to spend.

The ending was unbelievably unsatisfying when you take the previous level into account. BtB was hard unless you knew what you were doing, and even if you did, you still ran the chance of failing miserably unless you moved your base halfway across the map (see my BtB videos). All you need to do in Rocky Horror is walk north with some dynamite, give laser beams to a few raiders, and wait.

The monsters posed absolutely zero threat once you installed Electric Fences. If you kept expanding your fences as you mined the caverns, monsters would get zapped as they emerged. If you don't, then you can practically ignore them since they are so slow and barely bother your raiders unless they literally run into each other. STTs are fast enough to avoid monster attacks unless they're sitting still, and even then they'll bolt as soon as they get hit once. Plus, if the cavern is large enough, the monsters will go away after a while because their health is drained by the immense field of suck that is constantly being emitted around them.

Now for slugs, those rare and misunderstood squishy bratwursts. It's ridiculous how the only reasons why slugs terrify players so much is because 1) they crawl under fences, 2) raiders were trained at the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy, and 3) the local population of slugs in BtB is directly proportional to how many crystals you have. Oh, and the only "good" method of deterring slugs is notorious for crashing the game, so there's that.

Raiders are dumb as brick.

Most of the above...

I dislike that RR is Lego. When I was six, seven years old, I never realized I was playing a lego game. I only saw a few lego pictures and movies and was like "cool".

I was severely disappointed by the lack of HFS (hidden fun stuff).

The fact that it is not dwarf fortress except with rock raiders.

The stupid physics that is used throughout.

I've always wanted a sequel to the game, but still haven't got it.

Edit:

I also wanted: More mining. I like strip mining 80,000 granite caves.

and 2: The entire planet as my sandbox.

Oh, and 3: Real combat.

"slimy slug is invading your base" poping up every 10 to 17 seconds, "an energy crystal has been found" poping up all the time, and there is no announcement for erosion, which is the only thing that needs it, and on all ther levels where it is problematic you dont know when it is happening because you are halfway across the map directing the raiders. lack of exploration. and ofcourse the chrome crusher's speed upgrade doing diddly

edit: make the goram slugs actualy attack you

I hate waiting for my raiders to actually do what I tell them to. After which they go back to shoveling rubble and get killed by a landslide.

:|

What I don't like is the fact that I CAN'T EVEN PLAY THE [please talk properly]ING GAME PROPERLY! It just doesn't work for me. Never has, and probably never will.

1 - The limitations of first person and third person mode. I want to be able to DO stuff in first or third person, like I can overhead.

2 - The pointless buildings and vehicles Cirevam mentioned. I remember being so excited to finally build an Ore Refinery as a kid, then being disappointed it didn't really help me do anything...

3 - The monsters and defences are unbalanced. One hit kill electric fences and laser beams? Where's the fun in that?

4 - I like expansive levels, like Frozen Frenzy... But only if there's actually interesting stuff to find. Oooooh, look, I found a cavern which contains the exact same stuff I've seen for the rest of the level. Why not have some interesting hidden caves to encourage exploring, containing things like ruined bases (I know you can do this, you made ice crystal things, now make ruined buildings), places with tons of monsters for some fun, some crystal caches, etc? Liven things up a bit, keep people guessing what they might find behind the next wall.

1. The AI. It's terrible.

2. The last missions are just too hard...

The limitations of first person and third person mode. I want to be able to DO stuff in first or third person, like I can overhead.

4. A SLIMY SLUG IS INVADING YOUR BASE! A SLIMY SLUG IS INVADING YOUR BASE! A SLIMY SLUG IS INVADING YOUR BASE!

there is no announcement for erosion

Yes there is. Info_LavaErode you have to add it to the CFG.

The Brigadier

Rock Raiders collecting the furthest materials away from the base unless manually instructed to do otherwise. Said materials are usually needed for a Support Station, or eroding lava.

Rock Raiders trying to put ore down on Lava that has already eroded.

They cannot shoot a monster to save their miserable lives.

Cutting corners over Lava. Why Data Design Interactive? Just why?

Clearing rubble right next to an active landslide.

Running away from dynamite, then running towards it, realising that they've made a mistake, try to run away, but it's too late, they get blown up.

Going back to the Support Station to stuff their faces when a monster is throwing boulders at the Power Station.

The Chrome Crusher has to be upgraded just to warrant using it over dynamite.

The Hover Scout. WHAT IS THE POINT?

Mining Lasers. Why would we use them to drill walls when we have a Chrome Crusher?

Trucks overloading the Ore Refinery. I know the extra Ore goes back to the Tool Store, but we could make building studs out of it.

The Small Digger has a bucket, but cant carry anything.

The Chrome Crusher has an even bigger bucket, but can't carry anything.

Vehicles can't carry building studs.

Pusher Beams have no purpose whatsoever.

Sonic Blasters do NOTHING to deter slugs.

You have to upgrade the Super Teleport just to get good vehicles.

As Cirevam said, water vehicles are made redundant by the Tunnel Scout and Tunnel Transport.

The Small Digger takes 3 minutes to drill through hard rock, but mere seconds for dirt and loose rock.

There is no point in ore seams, because there is 4 pieces of ore in a pile of rubble.

The last level is too easy.

A LANDSLIDE HAS OCCURED. A LANDSLIDE HAS OCCURED. A LANDSLIDE HAS OCCURED. A LANDSLIDE HAS OCCURED. *gunshot*

IDLENESS SYNDROME.

that ddi never followed up on it, we only have contact with one of the original masterminds, and nothing really about the rest of them, that tbh the only real challenge

(and this is only for some of us) is getting the level done before the game crashes or we give up due to boredom. big issue being there are all these things we find in the folders that we dont know what they were used for and nobody (as of yet) can tell us.

big issue being there are all these things we find in the folders that we dont know what they were used for and nobody (as of yet) can tell us.

Name five. BLX maps don't count.

1, all of the building icons with no buildings or that link to different buildings. 2,the second set of upgrade icons that seem to work different.3, the encyclopedia. 4, the remains of the level editor that may or may not be the one ddi used to build the original levels. 5, the second hud that incorperated elements that are now gone. 6, the randomly changed model names.

1. All of the building icons with no existing buildings to match it

2. The second set of upgrade icons that seem to work differently

3. The encyclopedia.

4. the remains of the level editor that may or may not be the one DDI used to build the original levels.

5. the second HUD that incorperated elements that are now gone.

6. the randomly changed model names.

1.They were prototype icons for buildings or for prototype buildings.

2. Second set?

3. The encyclopedia was an in-game database of info but it was probably too complex to put in.

4. I don't know what that was actually.

5. An old HUD? It's just an old prototype thing?

6. I don't remember randomly-changed LWO names...

1. All of the building icons with no existing buildings to match it

2. The second set of upgrade icons that seem to work differently

3. The encyclopedia.

4. the remains of the level editor that may or may not be the one DDI used to build the original levels.

5. the second HUD that incorperated elements that are now gone.

6. the randomly changed model names.

1.They were prototype icons for buildings or for prototype buildings.

2. Second set?

3. The encyclopedia was an in-game database of info but it was probably too complex to put in.

4. I don't know what that was actually.

5. An old HUD? It's just an old prototype thing?

6. I don't remember randomly-changed LWO names...

1. my point was we have no idea what functions they might have had, and we currently have now way of finding out.

2. there is a set of upgrade icons that show specific parts of vehicles highlighted ill post where when i find them again.

3. but we don't know that, im saying these are all unknowns.

4. cirevam told me that there were parts of a non-working level editor in there.

5. the alternate one is set up much differently, also comes with a prioritie list 12 long.

6. have you evre tried to open the lws's?

edit: my mistake they were alternate teleport icons for vehicles

1. my point was we have no idea what functions they might have had, and we currently have now way of finding out.

2. there is a set of upgrade icons that show specific parts of vehicles highlighted ill post where when i find them again.

3. but we don't know that, im saying these are all unknowns.

4. cirevam told me that there were parts of a non-working level editor in there.

5. the alternate one is set up much differently, also comes with a prioritie list 12 long.

6. have you evre tried to open the lws's?

1) I believe Karl mentioned that the Canteen was purely a SnaxULike building before that function got merged with the Support Station. The other icons are either extremely obvious (Docks with electric arcs) or are variations of existing buildings.

3) If you open the files in the Encyclopaedia folder you'll find specific information about the unit you're looking at. That's very obviously an encyclopedia, though it's more like a quick fact sheet. Go look at those EPB files sometime.

4) Remind me where I said this. There's a text file that mentions an in-game level editor with some key commands, but nothing more.

5)

6) Yeah, and so what if stuff got renamed during development? At least the naming is consistent. BD = Bulldozer = Loader Dozer. SMLP = Small Mobile Laser Platform = Small Mobile Laser Cutter. BC = BigCat = Cargo Carrier. Half the time I call the vehicles by their script names instead of their actual names.

Failing@Failing

1: Raiders lack common sense (who walks over live dynamite?)

2: Useless vehicles (*cough* lasers *cough*)

3: Lack of lava (Just looks cool in underground settings)

4: Lack of Slimy Slugs (More would've made the game somewhat challenging and fun)

5: Not many sandbox missions (Those are always the best missions)

6: Bats (If you've encountered them, 'nuff said)

7: Lack of hidden goodies (Always nice to find. Only hidden things are Energy Crystal Caches)

8: Priorities don't like me and don't work for me

9: No Easter Eggs (I find that a game needs some Easter Eggs for fun ALWAYS!!!)

10: Non-toggleable render distance (It could've allowed for some with better computers in the past to see farther!!!)

• 4 weeks later...

2 the last level is boring and not fun at all and way to easy

WOAH, LET'S STOP ALL THEM PEOPLE-SMUGGLING BOATS RIGHT THERE AND GET THIS SORTED.

What do you mean by "way too easy"?

You_Lie_RE_i_desided_to_put_all_these_pi

2 the last level is boring and not fun at all and way to easy

WOAH, LET'S STOP ALL THEM PEOPLE-SMUGGLING BOATS RIGHT THERE AND GET THIS SORTED.

What do you mean by "way too easy"?

You_Lie_RE_i_desided_to_put_all_these_pi

by that i mean that huge crystal cache just lets you win which is so pathetic and makes the level way to easy

• 1 month later...

My #1 thing that bugged me was that the rock raiders had a tendency of NOT LISTENING to the orders I gave them, and they did whatever the hell they felt like... It bugged the living hell outta me xD

Oh, and cause the game had so much more potential and was never made to the fullest... Thinking of trying to remake the game myself so i could finish it... hmmm :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.