What You Don't Like About Rock Raiders

Lair

Oh, and cause the game had so much more potential and was never made to the fullest... Thinking of trying to remake the game myself so i could finish it... hmmm :)

What do you think I've been doing all these years?

My only major complaints are the illogical building requirements (Teleport Pad BEFORE Power Station?!) and the fact that the raiders are idiots that will walk over lava and into the blast radius of dynamite, and everything but the poor AI (although it was good for 1998 - until you look at more serious games of the era) and the draw distance (which never bothered me anyway - you are in a cave after all...) can be fixed.

and everything but the draw distance can be fixed.

Why can't the draw distances be fixed? /:|

Wait... Ok, I'm guessing another facepalm about this is coming up...

and everything but the draw distance can be fixed.

Why can't the draw distances be fixed? /:|

Wait... Ok, I'm guessing another facepalm about this is coming up...

Yes lol.

MedPoly, HiPoly and Fog distances can all be changed (setting fog distance too high makes the game crash when you look down a long tunnel)

Yes lol.

MedPoly, HiPoly and Fog distances can all be changed (setting fog distance too high makes the game crash when you look down a long tunnel)

Well, thanks once again for steering me in the right direction.

• 7 months later...

2 the last level is boring and not fun at all and way to easy

WOAH, LET'S STOP ALL THEM PEOPLE-SMUGGLING BOATS RIGHT THERE AND GET THIS SORTED.

What do you mean by "way too easy"?

You_Lie_RE_i_desided_to_put_all_these_pi

by that i mean that huge crystal cache just lets you win which is so pathetic and makes the level way to easy

I also think the last mission was too easy. Although I had to cheat to get to it, it was way too easy.

I didn't even notice anything! I was just... doing stuff like drilling walls and sorts and suddenly everything is teleported up and I win.

I was expecting /way/ more then that. I couldn't even do that much. Last missions are supposed to be 'all out' but I didn't do anything special at all.

I didn't even notice anything! I was just... doing stuff like drilling walls and sorts and suddenly everything is teleported up and I win.

That's pretty much how it goes. You set up a base with electric fences, and you're guaranteed to win.

The little bastards always do the opposite of what I tell them to. "Drill this wall", I say. So, they clear some rubble. "Get in this vehicle", I order. So, they go eat sandviches.

Someone should teach these disobedient pricks a lesson.

• 3 weeks later...
lms explorer factory

i made the monsters more dangerous in mine. They now do 40 dammage to all buildings/vehicals. The only thing i wish to happen is if the raiders are going to get killed, actualy show a really baddly hurt and/or death animation before telaporting them out.

lms explorer factory

also, make the fact that the rockraiders have personal energy shields more known. Any hardcore rockraider fan knows that all raiders and vehicals have personal energy shields. And, i'd like to see the other creatures that were not featured in the PC game in the PC game. Like the large spiders, the scorpions, the snakes... ETC. And vehicals exploding when killed would be cool, sort of like the buildings? And 1 last thing, Some of the rock raiders sets have insperation moddles, EG, 1 of them was a flying vertion of the small transport truck and another was a boat vertion of the chrome crusher that could withstand lava, Maybe having some kind of convertion station that can convert them to there alturnate forms for a bit of ore or something. Other then that, i think smarter and more agressive monsters and maybe earthquakes, like the ones sometimes menchened in mission breafings, would give the game a hole new way to play.

i made the monsters more dangerous in mine. They now do 40 dammage to all buildings/vehicals.

Nothing we have ever tried has been able to change the damage monsters do to vehicles. Double check your monsters and see if they do 40 to buildings and 10 to vehicles, because if they do 40 to vehicles...

Everything we know would be a lie.

Yes, please tell us how you did that.

Also

i'd like to see the other creatures that were not featured in the PC game in the PC game. Like the large spiders, the scorpions, the snakes... ETC

This has already been done. The files for these creatures still exists, you just have to add them to the CFG.

There was a tutorial for it but it seems like it's gone.

vehicals exploding when killed

if the raiders are going to get killed, actualy show a really baddly hurt and/or death animation

This is possible and shouldn't be too hard to animate.

smarter and more agressive monsters and maybe earthquakes

There's nothing we can do to improve the AI and earthquakes would be impossible.

I've read through this entire thread, nodding practically all the way through. I agree with most of these points unfortunately.

To clear up a few of the points that spring to mind:

Final level being too easy.

I remember putting the final level together, and I originally set up wave after wave of creatures coming from the side walls (i.e. you kill one, another emerges). The idea was, the further towards the final cavern you go, the more creatures would be triggered. In order to overcome this, you would need to build a 'safe path' with electric fences either side. That or arm all of your units to the hilt.

Unfortunately, it was deemed "too difficult" (by LEGO), and many of the creature triggers were taken out. In hindsight, I wish I had just left the old level files in the directory structure so you'd be able to recover that version of the level (I'd love to see it again myself after all this time).

Weapons/battle being generally rubbish

This one came from our overlords at LEGO. We were told to tone down the "violence" as it was a "family-friendly game". I haven't investigated, however I'd be interested to see if there are any remnants of the old Rock Monster "explosion" animations left behind.

Also, you already know of the planned Rockwhale. I would have loved for that to have actually made it into the game!!

A LANDSLIDE HAS OCCURED. A LANDSLIDE HAS OCCURED. A LANDSLIDE HAS OCCURED. A LANDSLIDE HAS OCCURED.

Sorry. Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry. Did I apologize enough yet?

Also, one thing that *always* bugged me (and still does).

AN ENERGY CRYSTAL HAS BEEN FOUND!

I always hated the emphasis on the word 'HAS'.

Final level being too easy.

I remember putting the final level together, and I originally set up wave after wave of creatures coming from the side walls (i.e. you kill one, another emerges). The idea was, the further towards the final cavern you go, the more creatures would be triggered. In order to overcome this, you would need to build a 'safe path' with electric fences either side. That or arm all of your units to the hilt.

Unfortunately, it was deemed "too difficult" (by LEGO), and many of the creature triggers were taken out. In hindsight, I wish I had just left the old level files in the directory structure so you'd be able to recover that version of the level (I'd love to see it again myself after all this time).

Somebody needs to re-create this.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to do. Just adding lots of stuff to the emerge map, some changes to the PTL to generate rock monster TRUE when a monster dies or something, and at most a few NPL tweaks.

I haven't investigated, however I'd be interested to see if there are any remnants of the old Rock Monster "explosion" animations left behind.

Probably not, but I'm pretty sure I've seen something along those lines. At the very least, there are quite a few interesting animations that shouldn't have been removed.

Also, you already know of the planned Rockwhale. I would have loved for that to have actually made it into the game!!

I need to do some more work on the Rockwhale I have in LRRPC. It walks but not much else right now.

I need to do some more work on the Rockwhale I have in LRRPC. It walks but not much else right now.

Well, as a pointer in the right direction, IIRC the original plan was to have the whale able to move through walls. The idea was is could 'swim' through rock, and would breach periodically causing potential devastation in its wake.

Wow. I see those whales in a new light now.

I'm not sure they can do that with the current LRR build, but I'm sure it can be at least emulated.

Wow. I see those whales in a new light now.

I'm not sure they can do that with the current LRR build, but I'm sure it can be at least emulated.

Yeah, unfortunately, they never even made it past the design stage in the PC version, so there won't be any real reference to them within the data. But with the other remake projects that seem to be ongoing, it may be of interest to you.

A number of things, actually.

1) AI - I absolutely HATE the AI. Setting up multipler Tool Stores by mining areas far from the initial base are pointless as most Raiders will simply take recources all the way across the entire map. Miners will clear Rubble away from one spot in an area full of Rubble, then go to the other side of the map to clear Rubble, which is VERY annoying with slow Loader Dozers. Also, trying to cancel a command may sometimes get the Raiders to stand around and do nothing.

2) Monsters - Rock/Ice/Lava Monsters are fine, but Slimy Slugs that completely ignore the ONLY defense (Sonic Blasters)? And Bats, which NOTHING can be done about.

4) Useless Structures/Vehicles - Laser cutters are useless, as is the Granite Grinder (outclassed by the more expensive Chrome Crusher despite having the same type of drill and drilling at a tiny fraction of the speed). Mining Laser structure useless as it cannot cut through rock very fast, and a waste of resources. Ore Refinery is pointless as yeah, it can help with Ore management, but a glitch occurs wherein Small Transport Trucks bring Ore to it, Building Stud is made, and if there is more Ore than you need in the loading bay on the building, you lose that extra Ore.

3) Level Design - Okay, I guess this isn't too bad, considering the time it was made. Still, very blockly level design, with no curved edges and no variation between textures on rock walls.

and if there is more Ore than you need in the loading bay on the building, you lose that extra Ore.

/:| Why do people keep saying this? If you would look at your Ore counter while the truck is dumping stuff in, you would see that you don't lose it.

3) Level Design - Okay, I guess this isn't too bad, considering the time it was made. Still, very blockly level design, with no curved edges and no variation between textures on rock walls.

There's no way to fix this. The PS1 version has curved edges, though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.