Choosing New Computer Hardware

JrMasterModelBuilder

JrMasterModelBuilder

While I know quite a bit about software, I don't know so much about hardware. I'm looking at 2 different computers who's only differences are:

2.2GHz quad-core

AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5

VS

2.4GHz quad-core

AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB GDDR5

I work with Autodesk Maya and Autodesk Mudbox (Pixar & DreamWorks use these 3D modeling and animation programs) a lot for school. Whatever computer I use, I will almost certainly be pushing it to the limit (which, unfortunately, on my new Win 7 x64 computer, isn't far enough). How much more powerful is second one? I see that it has a more powerful graphics card with twice the memory, but from my understanding, the size of the memory isn't everything. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money. Any thoughts on how much of a difference would be greatly appreciated! I don't exactly trust the sales people (I don't think they even know the difference).

The size of the memory of those graphics cards is just dedicated video memory (someone correct me if I'm in error), so as long as you have enough RAM you should be fine. I also wouldn't pay too much more for a slight increase in processor speed. If it's twenty dollars, fine. If it's more than fifty, not counting for the better graphics card, I wouldn't bother.

Oh, and when I overclock my quad-core to 2.6 GHz, it runs just about everything without slowing down in the slightest... unless the program uses NVIDIA's crazy physics support which destroys the framerate. You should be fine with either of those.

JrMasterModelBuilder

It would be more like a $400 difference between the computers.

I'm pretty sure you're right about that memory being dedicated memory, but something I was wondering is, can the GPU use RAM? If so I'm thinking that money might be better put towards 8 GB of RAM. The computer would have 4 GB of RAM running OS X Lion. (Yes, I know. I'm not to thrilled about that part either. I might be dual-booting it for Linux.)

JrMasterModelBuilder

Although, having used both Windows and Mac computers for design, I don't agree on many aspects, but that's what this computer would be. ;)

Since price is a concern here I don't think he would even consider an Apple computer. Comparison: my current Asus is about two months older than my brother's Macbook Pro. Mine cost $900. His cost $2300 after the family discount. Both computers have many favorable reviews. The specs are comparable given the time gap between them, and holy crud, I do 100x more design work than my brother who is studying networking.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure graphics cards can use RAM too, but it's slower. Big deal unless you're rendering a movie.

im guessing you are planning on movie work jr? in that case maybe just look for a better graphics card? and cirevam, im getting that from my teachers at school (im in a computer program) they say pc's are better for coding work and macs are better for design, although like i said, the best bet is probably to get a good graphics card and install it on your comp

JrMasterModelBuilder

Hmm, ok, thanks!

It would be an Apple computer, actually. Although I would still be using this Windows computer I'm using now for almost everything.

3d modeling and sculpting mostly.

Honestly, I really don't see why people say that about the design aspect. CS5 works just as well if not better on Windows, comparing comperable Windows and Mac computers. The only major differences I see are PSD and AI files can be viewed in Preview (big deal, if you can't find your files by name and location, you need to rethink your organization) and Flash will publish and preview much faster on Windows.

Programming on a Mac is a joke.

Hmm, ok, thanks.

It would be an Apple computer, actually. Although I would still be using this Windows computer I'm using now for almost everything.

3d modeling and sculpting mostly.

Honestly, I really don't see why people say that about the design aspect. CS5 works just as well if not better on Windows, comparing comperable Windows and Mac computers. The only major differences I see are PSD and AI files can be viewed in Preview (big deal, if you can't find your files by name and location, you need to rethink your organization) and Flash will publish and preview much faster on Windows.

Programming on a Mac is a joke.

to be honest idk what the difference is, i took the programming route, my friend alton did 3d modeling using cinema4d on his home pc and the school's macs, and he said it ran and worked better overall on the macs, also macs have mega huge screens that are a few inches short of a bigscreen tv

JrMasterModelBuilder

Yeah, Apple doesn't sell low-end hardware (well, I guess the Mac mini and Macbook Air are debatable). So the cheapest Mac vs the cheapest Windows computer, the Mac will be faster but also many times more expensive. If your willing to pay for it, you can get just about anything Apple has in a non-Apple computer.

Monitors don't mean anything. I can plug my computer into a 50" television if I feel like it. And to be honest, the only thing I've found Apple computers to be superior in is video editing simply because Final Cut Pro isn't available for Windows as far as I know. Vegas is fine but you can do so much more with FCP.

Quit being all ninja-like, JMMB :t

JrMasterModelBuilder

I think Avid is the top of the line video editor and available for other OSes. Especially with Final Cut Pro X being a serious step backwards in terms of functionality.

get a mac it is optimized for design work

Butt out, Beelzebub.

If you're not looking to build a custom PC, I would aim for that second option, simply because the CPU is running higher and that can directly affect a lot of things in modeling/animating. Quick question, could I see prices? The gap shouldn't be too much, or then it's a rip.

The gap's a rip, it is. But we don't know the prices of the computers. The difference between $500 and $900 is more painful than the difference between $2500 and $2900. With the latter you might as well drop an extra $200 to get the optional diamond-encrusted codpiece. It boosts your wi-fi range!

Didn't see that bit. But yeah, it's a rip off.

Go with the cheaper option. Ultimately, you'll be getting more power per dollar, and you could probably upgrade in the future if required.

Didn't see that bit. But yeah, it's a rip off.

Go with the cheaper option. Ultimately, you'll be getting more power per dollar, and you could probably upgrade in the future if required.

This. The difference between the 6750M and 6770M does not merit 400 dollars more, in my opinion. Although, I guess you should do the googling yourself. Maybe the 125 mhz clock increase and the additional shaders, not forgetting the extra memory, is what you need.

Also, yes, the graphics card can use your RAM. It's just a bit slower, which is negligible if you have a good motherboard and fast RAM. Even if you don't, doesn't matter that much.

And to be honest, the only thing I've found Apple computers to be superior in is video editing simply because Final Cut Pro isn't available for Windows as far as I know. Vegas is fine but you can do so much more with FCP.

I disagree. FCP is not necessarily the best NLE, it largely comes down to preference. Even so, workflow between Premiere and After Effects is easier than FCP to After Effects.

get a mac it is optimized for design work

But that's all they do, aside from looking pretty. PCs are more versatile (and cheaper) than a mac, so why would you even bother buying one? Unless you want to use, um, one program. For a ridiculous amount of money. Oh, and you can play outdated games on outdated hardware. Yay!

As for JMMB, you should... err....

...actually, all I only came here to complain about macs. :U

JrMasterModelBuilder

Thank's guys! I went with the cheaper option with the intent to upgrade to RAM and double it to 8GB. (The much cheaper do-it-yourself way. I'm not paying someone to do something that simple.)

I disagree. FCP is not necessarily the best NLE, it largely comes down to preference. Even so, workflow between Premiere and After Effects is easier than FCP to After Effects.

I would hope so. Premiere and After Effects are both made by Adobe. If were comparing latest versions, Premiere is much better than Final Cut Pro X, which is a significant step backwards from the previous version.

But that's all they do, aside from looking pretty. PCs are more versatile (and cheaper) than a mac, so why would you even bother buying one? Unless you want to use, um, one program. For a ridiculous amount of money. Oh, and you can play outdated games on outdated hardware. Yay!

As for JMMB, you should... err....

...actually, all I only came here to complain about macs. :U

Technically, a Mac is almost always a PC, because PC stand for personal computer :) . I could complain for quite a while about them too but at least I know from the other people at school that the programs will definitely run on a MacBook Pro.

I consider PC's any computer you can put together yourself, and I've never heard of anyone putting their own mac together.

Damn son, he right.

We were just doing a Business Assessment on Apple (I refused to do it initially, but after a discussion with the teacher I reluctantly attempted it), and one of my key points of quality was that they make and control all the hardware components.

I consider PC's any computer you can put together yourself, and I've never heard of anyone putting their own mac together.

Damn son, he right.

We were just doing a Business Assessment on Apple (I refused to do it initially, but after a discussion with the teacher I reluctantly attempted it), and one of my key points of quality was that they make and control all the hardware components.

and, as one of my friends pointed out recently, they charge a rediculous amount for assembly costs

one of my key points of quality was that they make and control all the hardware components.

I didn't know Apple produced Intel hardware.

one of my key points of quality was that they make and control all the hardware components.

I didn't know Apple produced Intel hardware.

Damn son. ONE WORD WAS ALL IT TOOK, AND HE GOT ME.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.