Optimal Settings For Running Lrr In Vmware?

TGP1994

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to run Lego Rock Raiders in vmware. So far, it seems like only the 718KB exe / 0KB ICD will even let you launch the game to begin with.

I'm looking at trying to run it at optimal settings for a virtual graphics card though, does anyone have any experience with emulating 3D games in vmware? I have the advanced 3D acceleration enabled already.

EDIT: It seems like enhanced mode can't/won't work inside of VMWare, or at least, Direct3D HAL. What would I be loosing by not using the -best flag, and using RGB emulation (which works) in VMWare?

I use virtualbox to run LRR in a windows 7 vm on a linux machine. I have an NVIDIA graphics card. I installed the guest additions and enabled the experimental d3d support. RR works perfectly for me, and is 100 % playable.

I didn't mess with any settings anywhere, except perhaps with RR's clgen.exe

I use virtualbox to run LRR in a windows 7 vm on a linux machine. I have an NVIDIA graphics card. I installed the guest additions and enabled the experimental d3d support. RR works perfectly for me, and is 100 % playable.

I didn't mess with any settings anywhere, except perhaps with RR's clgen.exe

Oh, does virtualbox run it fairly well? Can you run LRR with multiple choices for resolutions, and without many (if any) graphical artifacts?

...I thought the OP meant vmware as in virtual machine software.

My bad. You can disregard my post.

I did, why would I disregard your post?

EDIT: I just installed virtualbox with a windows xp guest. 3D acceleration is enabled, with the guest additions being installed. What mode are you running RR in? Using either shortcut, it tells me that there isn't any DirectX accelerator available (or something like that).

1. Oh, does virtualbox run it fairly well?

2. Can you run LRR with multiple choices for resolutions,

3. and without many (if any) graphical artifacts?

1. Like I said, perfectly. It works exactly like on a native windows install.

2. This has nothing to do with virtual machines. You can get this option any time by adding the -developer or -debugcomplete (I don't remember which it was that triggered it) command line arguments.

3. No graphical artifacts whatsoever.

I did, why would I disregard your post?

EDIT: I just installed virtualbox with a windows xp guest. 3D acceleration is enabled, with the guest additions being installed. What mode are you running RR in? Using either shortcut, it tells me that there isn't any DirectX accelerator available (or something like that).

So, when you installed the guest additions, you enabled the experimental D3D support (I believe that's what it was called), right?

Try running LegoRR.exe directly. If the problem persists, mess around with the options clglen.exe (found in the same directory as LegoRR.exe) provides.

Later today, when I'm not busy, I can pull up the VM and check out the specifics on how I'm running RR in the VM.

I think I'm actually going to change my mind here, it would be highly conveinient if I could run LRR in VirtualBox. Could you tell me how you have it configured, Addictgamer? Currently, the game is still crashing before the intro can even play.

ProcessMonitor hasn't been very helpful; I can't find any glaring causes for the crash. It will finish loading the DLLs, start querying my win.ini file, open vga.dll, open my desktop wallpaper, open the RR data directory, open the RR directory, then all threads related to LRR just exit. Very strange.

I found the log detailing all the steps I took to setting up the VM for LRR.

First, I started up VirtualBox and created a new virtual machine.

I set it as a windows 7 64 bit guest.

I gave it a base RAM of 6 gigabytes and access to all my CPUs.

I gave it 21 megabytes of video RAM.

I gave it 100 gigs of hard drive space.

Finally, I grabbed mw windows 7 64 bit install disk and plopped it into my cd drive. Then I mounted the disk in the VM and start up the VM. I installed windows.

Next, install guest partitions with the experimental D3D support enabled. Make sure to say "No." when it asks if you want the basic version. We want the full thing.

What I did next was copy over my RR install from a windows hard drive and paste it onto my desktop.

I ran CLGlen.exe and chose voodo2.

Next, I ran LegoRR.exe directly and chose RGB emaluation.

That's exactly what I did to get RR working on my VM.

Hmm... It's starting to look like it's having something to do with the fact that I'm using a Windows XP guest. Just out of curiosity, if you run CLGen again, does the default option show up as "Default", instead of what you selected?

I'm looking into using the Application Compatibility Wizard, it seems like it knows what's up. The trick is figuring out how to get it to work, the tutorial posted here is for an unspecified version of the compatibility program, and the version seems to matter :

EDIT: Tried it in VMWare again, it can atleast go to the main menu, although attempting to load any level causes the game to crash. Was that another common problem?

CLGen only adds shortcut properties to the game when you run it directly from the executable. In this case, the Voodoo2 setting adds -ftm, which removes shading from all textured objects if I remember correctly. It will always show Default when you launch CLGen because that's the first entry in CLGen.dat

No, CLGen.dat is a list of shortcut properties that can be added by using CLGen. It stores no changes at all. Whenever you select something from CLGen, it overrides whatever the previous setting was. You can edit it to add other properties, such as unlocking all levels or allowing you to skip the intro movies. Compare the original to the one used in the Parameter Manager mod:

INSTRUCTION|Select Video Card type:
ACTION|WRITEKEY|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LEGO Media\Games\Rock Raiders\StandardParameters
ADDITEM|Default|
ADDITEM|Voodoo2|-ftm
ADDITEM|Savage3D|-fvf
TITLE|Video Card selector

INSTRUCTION|Select a parameter:

ACTION|WRITEKEY|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LEGO Media\Games\Rock Raiders\StandardParameters

ADDITEM|No parameters|

ADDITEM|Cirevam's Set|-programmer -fvf -debugcomplete -debug -testlevels

ADDITEM|Unlock All Levels|-testlevels

ADDITEM|Fog Effects|-fvf

ADDITEM|Programmer|-programmer

ADDITEM|Debug Complete|-debugcomplete

ADDITEM|No prelaunch prompt (fullscreen)|-best

ADDITEM|No reward animation|-reward

ADDITEM|Delete saved games|-cleansaves

ADDITEM|Show Version|-showversion

ADDITEM|Windowed|-window -testlevels -fvf -programmer
TITLE|Parameter Manager

Oh, through the registry...

Well, I'm back in VirtualBox now, I'm going to try installing Windows 7, just to see if that may work...

EDIT: Well, I'll be darned.

After playing around in the Application Compatibility Toolkit, I was able to not only load up LRR, but also play levels, simply by enabling ForceDirectDrawEmulation. I also enabled the DisableScreensaver fix, which should hopefully stop the game from freezing when the screensaver goes on, and then I also enabled the IgnoreDebugOutput fix, which supposedly increases performance.

I hope this helps anyone else with any issues!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.