Sopa Has Lost.

McJobless

I bring with me some interesting news.

The Pirate Bay is now located at http://thepiratebay.se/. They were enounctering some difficulties last night as they switched from .ORG to .SE, but now they're protected under Sweden law, which doesn't support ACTA.

More over, #OpBlackMarch is in effect. Don't buy or illegally download any songs, movies, videogames or magazines. We'll show big business that we don't need them; they need us.

Black March will only be effective if people actually go through with it - without public support it won't do anything.

I did do my part, though - I decided to sell my stocks in Disney, and I only download songs made by regular people, not large-scale companies. I haven't downloaded or purchased a published song since 2009 with the exception of Alestorm's Black Sails at Midnight album.

I hope they realise that a large portion of their money comes from retailers around the world buying the products to sell. If people stop buying stuff at shops, the only one losing out is the shop. This boycott only effects online sales, and i'm pretty sure the RIAA or whatever is having a good ol' laugh at Anonymous right now.

I have a feeling unless big players step up, this will be a fail. And if it does fail, people will use that against Anonymous.

Anonymouse.

Are you writing it out this way intentionally ?

No that was a mistake, But I blame Anonymouse for that because I always think of him each time I write something Anony.

I hope they realise that a large portion of their money comes from retailers around the world buying the products to sell. If people stop buying stuff at shops, the only one losing out is the shop. This boycott only effects online sales, and i'm pretty sure the RIAA or whatever is having a good ol' laugh at Anonymous right now.

I have a feeling unless big players step up, this will be a fail. And if it does fail, people will use that against Anonymous.

ACTA is on its way out in the US. That's why TPPA was drafted - it's worded in a way that would be more compatible to existing copyright law in America, although incompatibility isn't why ACTA is failing state-side.

If ACTA fails in America, I'm sure nations that already passed ACTA would repeal it - it's the World Superpower effect, no one's going to take any chances with relations unless they have a dang good reason to do so or are on bad terms to begin with.

I have a theory on why these bills are being pressed outside public view - a bill like ACTA would never pass in Congress, especially on an election year. There's too much public opposition. Also, any bills that go in front of congress automatically become declassified if they were classified before. In order to give them even a chance, the power hungry fool(s) behind these monstrosities would need to keep any public participation out. They've already broken several international (UN) laws trying to get this thing passed, so whoever is behind this must be really desperate at this point - maybe they don't have have a backup plan if TPPA doesn't pass?

This is really getting out of hand. I really want to see how this turns out!

Should I start a betting pool?

Besides that, I do have to say that we are now at 210% of our yearly !@#$ hitting the fan quota. It is quite out of hand. Maybe 2012 is a more important year than I first thought (I still don't give into that doomsday garbage, but it seems that at the end of each Mayan calendar cycle things tend to happen).

Fluffy Cupcake
Maybe 2012 is a more important year than I first thought (I still don't give into that doomsday garbage, but it seems that at the end of each Mayan calendar cycle things tend to happen).
2012 has the doomsday of.. THE INTERNET! :P

2012 has the doomsday of.. THE INTERNET! :P

I don't think that's it either, I'm thinking more along the lines of a change rather than an end of something.

If the bill dies before it leaves the EU then that would be awesome.

You think it might be possible for a powerful country to turn a weaker country into a puppet nation? So they can get more international things like this signed by more countries in the future?

If the bill dies before it leaves the EU then that would be awesome.

You think it might be possible for a powerful country to turn a weaker country into a puppet nation? So they can get more international things like this signed by more countries in the future?

By military threat and/or trade embargoes, yes. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if China (the other military superpower) was behind this the entire time, it's in their best interest to shut down open communication, even if they end up economically shooting themselves in the foot in the process (which they probably don't care about anyway).

The UN could also do something like this if a nation wished to leave them. The higher up the ladder you go, the more powerful the people up there are. I don't think the UN has a motive, though.

As for waning US support, although I was a tad surprised that we signed the treaty, if a nation as small and powerless as Poland was willing to back out, I think the powerhouse that the US is will definitely tear up our copy of the bill too. Once that happens, I can see a big fat trade embargo slapped on anyone who is still willing to support such an eldritch abomination of a "gentleman's agreement". I can't say for certain, though, we could also end up using our power to force Poland back into signing the treaty.

If that's the case then I bet the founding fathers would rise from the dead and devour brains of the current leaders of the pathetic excuse of a democracy our federal government has become.

Not really, but ACTA isn't something they would allow.

I miss George Washington...

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if China...was behind this the entire time, it's in their best interest to shut down open communication,

It definitely has nothing to do with china. Believe it or not, china loves open communication. That is, open communication of all other countries. There is crazy cyber-warfare going on at the moment involving china. Hackers are employed to grab any information they can about other countries and what they are doing. I watched a special report on it last year where they showed bunkers storing information and how they are continuously at war trying to defend the attacks. Unfortunately, if you are on the defense... you are normally the losing team(in cyber-warfare that is).

But this isn't something governments talk openly about.

• 2 weeks later...

wait so the FBI made this up to trick people for what reason again? I read it but didn't understand it.

._.

Some idiots in Estonia made a trojan that screws up DNS services so that instead of, say, going to google.com, you're going to malicious_website.com

The FBI set up some of their own servers to combat this damage. However, it's just a temporary fix to give people time to uninfect their computers.

However, some important computers are still infected and once these temp servers go down, people who rely on these important computers to connect to the internet won't be able to.

That's the gist of it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.