Scaled 640x480 fullscreen?

breakingspell

breakingspell

Hey, everyone! A nice, nostalgic look through a bunch of old CDs led me to find my old Rock Raiders disc (the jewel case and manual are nowhere to be found), and it's in good enough condition to install it, run it, and make a backup image of the disc, in case anything happens to it.

Now, one thing i've noticed, of course, is that it runs in 640x480 resolution, and in Windows 7, you have to tweak the color settings to get it to run in a window. Now, the first time i ran it earlier this week, for some reason in fullscreen, the game was stretched to fit my screen, just showing two black bars on the side. This made it much easier to play than using the windowed mode, or 640x480 as a small box, and i played to Water lots of fun using this method. Then, i discovered this forum, signed up, and decided to try out Baz's mod. I got hit with a force-close during the loading screen, so i forced it into windowed mode to fix that. I couldn't play it that way, after having played it in this psuedo-fullscreen, so i restored my backup that i'd made before applying the mod, and ran it in fullscreen again, but this time, it's in true 640x480, showing up as a small box.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, and tweaked my monitor settings again, and for some reason, i can't get it back in that psuedo-stretched fullscreen mode. Anybody else have this happen to them?

I had this problem on one of my older computers. I think I fixed it by changing a setting in my graphics properties (on Win7, right click the desktop and you'll see it). I can give you more details when I get back from work if you're around.

breakingspell

What were the settings you had when you first had that occur?

Also, welcome to our happy little forum!

I completely forgot to list the specs of my laptop, haha. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on an AMD Phenom II X4 mobility chipset with an ATI Radeon HD 4250, the screen resolution was set to the highest, 1366x768 (the game would automatically resize it), and i had 32-bit color on. When the graphics dialog would pop up, i'd select fullscreen at 640x480 resolution.

And thanks for the warm welcome!

I had this problem on one of my older computers. I think I fixed it by changing a setting in my graphics properties (on Win7, right click the desktop and you'll see it). I can give you more details when I get back from work if you're around.

I'll try to play around with my Catalyst Control center (AMD's graphics utility), and see what i can't do

What were the settings you had when you first had that occur?

Also, welcome to our happy little forum!

I completely forgot to list the specs of my laptop, haha. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on an AMD Phenom II X4 mobility chipset with an ATI Radeon HD 4250, the screen resolution was set to the highest, 1366x768 (the game would automatically resize it), and i had 32-bit color on. When the graphics dialog would pop up, i'd select fullscreen at 640x480 resolution.

And thanks for the warm welcome!

Have you tried launching it directly from the exe in the game's directory? That's the only way I can get this game to run on my computer.

No problem!

breakingspell

Have you tried launching it directly from the exe in the game's directory? That's the only way I can get this game to run on my computer.

No problem!

I actually do it that way, i don't use the shortcuts it makes by default. I just bought a used Acer Aspire 5552G off of eBay, and aside from the secondary core of it's 3.0ghz processor failing (fixed by simply disabling the second core until the replacement part arrives), the laptop runs even high-end games insanely well (1GB dedicated video card). I'm about to install RR on it and try it out

I actually do it that way, i don't use the shortcuts it makes by default. I just bought a used Acer Aspire 5552G off of eBay, and aside from the secondary core of it's 3.0ghz processor failing (fixed by simply disabling the second core until the replacement part arrives), the laptop runs even high-end games insanely well (1GB dedicated video card). I'm about to install RR on it and try it out

Okay, well. If all else fails. You could always attempt a Virtual Machine.

Also, could you add me on Skype? I might be able to help you during the situation. I am Nishliau on there as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.