The VALVe Topic

IceHusky

I got the idea from the locked "Gordon Freeman Topic". Post anything about Gaben or anything related, sense not needed.

[warn='WARNING!']Don't delay EP3 by making fat jokes about gaben.[/warn]

criminalscum.png

the diameter of planet gaben is the number of posts I have

So its constantly rising.

I tell you, he knows how to make a great sale, but he doesn't know how to manage downloads.

I'm capped because I tried downloading all the games. I got through about 80-90%, but Gaben doesn't know what an archive or compression is.

*Fat joke*

RRU shall be known as the forum that delayed HL3 for over 9000 years

Addictgamer

Gaben is a brilliant man. He abandoned Windows in favor of a superior operating system - Linux.

Cause Windows 8 just sucks that much.

You don't have to be a genius to see that Windows 8 stinks on ice.

One thing that has always bothered me is how Half Life is the only original VALVe series that gets attention. Everything else that isn't obscure was either a game mod (Counter-Strike, Team Fortress) or someone else's original idea (Narbacular Drop -> Portal) that VALVe bought. I didn't check every single one of VALVe's games so I'm sure there are other original games that they've made, but it doesn't seem right when a company basically buys most of their ideas from other people and gets a great reputation and lots of money because of that, especially when their reputation is built on the idea of good writing and original gameplay elements.

Minifig9292

*Claims that all Valve does is buy ideas when they actually hire the college students who come up with said ideas as the lead developers on the games they came up with which is something that can ensure they have a good future and a very good resume for other companies in the game industry.*

Uh-huh.

Every game they "bought the ideas for" they actualy hired the people who came up with, and worked on those.

Day of Defeat, Counter-Strike, Portal, every one of those games were mainly worked on by the original people who conceived those.

Okay, I forgot about Left 4 Dead, I guess because I've never played it. I've never played Day of Defeat either. And I know they hired the people who came up with the ideas. I'm pointing out that it's less "let's hire good programmers, let's brainstorm, oh hey that's a good idea" and more "hey those guys have a good idea, let's grab them before someone else does." Maybe they just know a good idea when they see one. All the playtesting helps too.

inb4 Steam Greenlight, or whatever it's called, where you can now get your indie buddies game suggested on Steam and Valve will sell it if it receives enough likes.

GordonFreeman

Didn't I already MAKE this thread, anyway?

EDIT: Well, I did, but it was in Member Share.

Anyone else excited for the new robot update for TF2? If I am as good at this as I was at LU, this is gonna be the ultimate loot fest for me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.