Mein Kumfy TF2 Dedi Server

McJobless

Yar har. I'm sure RRU already has a TF2 server, but if it does, it's probably running default settings and all that stuff. That bores me.

After HSC, because I'm skipping on Schoolies (a combination of being poor, Russia denying my request and nobody else I know going or having room on theirs), I'll be hosting my own TF2 server. IT'S NOT UP YET, AND WON'T BE UP FOR A COUPLE MONTHS. This is just a discussion on what I should set.

It'll be a public dedicated, but it won't save stats, offer unlocks or any of that crap. It will, however, feature bots, and in doing so I'll probably mix up teams half-way through a game, just for the lolz. Expect people from outside RRU, too. I do have friends.

So, suggest what you'd like to see on the server, and a possible map rotation. I'd rather no mod maps, so there's no need for people to download s***, and then most maps contain the correct AI path maps.

I was playing with American's on a dedicated server I hosted, and even on a capped connection the highest ping they got was around 60.

I was playing with American's on a dedicated server I hosted, and even on a capped connection the highest ping they got was around 60.

Do you live inside fiber wire? Jesus.

Now that's just plain impossible:

The shortest fibre connection from Australia to the US is about 13910km long. Fibre cable has a minimal refractive index of about 1.52, so c/1.52 = ~200.000km/s

13910km / 200,000km/s = 69.55 milliseconds ONE WAY, so at least 140ms RTT

And that's the smallest latency possible. You'll want to add the latency of optical repeaters built into the submarine fibre, the latency of switches, routers from the cable receiver to your ISP and the latency of the route from your ISP to your home.

Because I think everything you said is right, I assume you're computer sends tachyons straight to the other people. ;)

For comparison: The smallest RTT I get from my dedicated Root in a datacenter in Germany to a server in the east US is about 170ms.

[/smartass post]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.