Lego Power Functions Questions...

Goob

It's been a while since I was here...

So I have recently been interested in the new LEGO Power Functions products. However, before I buy some of those related products, I would like to know more info.

Are the Power Functions waterproof? I've seen one completely submerge a medium motor in the water and it ran. Video-> http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hS7F4BBG4tk

I know that the transmitters and receivers are Infra-red. Infra-red is different than radio transmission, and as far as I know, you need to have the transmitter pointed directly at the receiver to get any signal with IR. Is that true? (that would be rather annoying)

Is the linear actuator really hydraulic?

Thankies a bunch! :smug:

No, they are not water proof. If you do plan to sub merge them, add additional drain holes to let the water out (automobile manufacturers have learned that it is a lot easier to let water be water) so the motor does not rust up. It may also help to partly remove the snap tabs (not the tabs at the back) that keep the case together so you can replace the motor itself should it fail. The linear actuators are screw driven with clutches. The transmitters need a line of sight to the receivers to work. That said, you can mirror the room to ensure a line of sight.

Where should I start...

Alright.

1. The motors aren't waterproof, but since they're brushed motors, not brushless, you shouldn't have a problem. I would still add drain-holes to the casing, though.

2. The receivers are IR and thus require a line-of-sight. They're also short-ranged and don't work well outside.

3. A linear actuator operates via a worm gear and a rack gear, so by definition, no.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I do not plan to submerge them into water if they weren't meant to be, nor do I feel like modding the case with drain holes.

The receivers requiring that line-of-sight will be the real pain, since I had plans to build a radio controlled car similar to the discontinued LEGO Outdoor Challenger. I don't feel like standing/running beside it to get a good signal.

I thought the actuator was a worm and rack gear set. My guess is that if it was hydraulic, it would be MUCH more expensive than it is now.

I have a few more though.

If one connects 2 battery boxes to one motor, will that overload the motor?

Is there a specific limit on how many motors can be powered by one battery box?

Our family uses rechargeable AA batteries for most applications, however, some applications will not work on those batteries. If I place 6 rechargeable AA batteries in a large battery box, will it run the motors, lights, etc.?

Can the motors be set in a specific position by the transmitter, or do they only move forward and backward? (something servo motors do)

You can not use parallel (or serial) Batboxes with pure PF. Even if you could, the risk would be screwing up the boxes, the motor will only take what its resistance states at that voltage. Serial boxes WOULD shorten the life of the motor, but that wiring is impossible without cutting wires.

Yes, 4 M or 2 XL is the recommended limit.

Rechargeables fail sometimes because the cell voltage is too low. For PF, there is a System box that uses Lithium Ion cells that outputs 7.4V nominal, as opposed to the 9V nominal in the others. Using Ni-MH chemistry will have a nominal voltage of 8.2V, so you should be fine there. I can not say the same for run time. Whatever you do, do not use Li-Ion cells in the 9V battery box unless you use four "null" cells, because you will be running at 22.2V nominal. That will destroy the box and any receivers attached to it.

The 2012 Technic flagship has a servomotor in it for steering. The others are best left for turning wheels.

• 3 weeks later...

You know, you COULD hack it so it doesn't require line-of-sight... Build your own Mindstorms-style Intelligent Brick with an Arduino devboard and an X-bee module, if you want to learn how. I know enough that I know it can be done, but not enough to tell you exactly how.

The X-Bee module basically adds wi-fi. Theres also a Bluetooth one.

Or, you could just buy Mindstorms, but where's the fun in that?

Still working a virtual model for mine, but there are many videos of them. I also found out that I was basing it upon an unloaded speed, not the loaded speed meaning that I will have to reduce the power rating. Still, the pilot model should be able to do a six wheel burnout and a multi turbine design should have that amount of power.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.