Creating empty slots in LEGORACE.CRB

Creator

Hi there,

I've been messing around with the LEGORACE.CRB (the file that determines who shows up in each circuit) lately in order to incorporate Veronica Voltage into some of the circuits, when I started wondering: is there any way to leave the second slot (the boss-slot) of a circuit empty? I know that you can manually reduce the number of opponents for single races in-game, but the game will remove the AI racers in a predetermined order, meaning that there is no way to get rid of the boss racers without removing everyone else first. Origamiguy's CircuitEdit tool does not have an option for creating empty slots, but then again, it does not include Veronica Voltage either.

So, yeah, has anyone tried removing the boss racers by leaving their slots empty before and could give me some advice? Because I'm basically at my wit's end.

On a related note, is there any way to activate the sixth racer of each circuit ingame? I know that they're supposed to start in the same spot as the player, but maybe there's a way to have your own car spawn a few feet further to the left or right? I know that two cars can't spawn in the same location (as seen by the infamous Gypsy Moth glitch), but maybe there's a way to fix that too?

I've tested removing racers from the CRB data. It half works; racers are removed from the game, their slot is left empty on the starting grid BUT the game crashes as soon as the game attempts to display the scoreboard (presumably a null pointer exception because it can't find the name for a non-existent player). I'll test adding /more/ racers shortly.

EDIT: Adding more racers to a circuit does nothing. The game simply ignores anything beyond the 6 it's expecting.

EDIT2: Can't seem to add VV, nor can I work out why it's crashing. I'll look into it more later.

Well, Veronica is pretty unique. You never actually race her, you try to beat her best time, while the game simply plays back a ghost of her (presumably a race some developer did) in the same way it plays back the ghost of your car if you choose to race again upon finishing a time trial. With that said, I'm pretty sure Veronica isn't actually coded into the game as an NPC in the same way the other NPCs are, and most likely cannot be placed as an NPC in normal races because she doesn't exist in the game's library of NPCs.

To be more specific, the other NPCs actually interact with the player and track, using power-ups and making semi-random route variations and such. They're AI-controlled opponents. Veronica only appears as a ghost, and like a player ghost, always takes the exact same route around the track, and cannot be interacted with in any way. Even if you go ahead of her ghost in a race and steal all the power-ups before her ghost reaches them, the ghost still "gets" them and "uses" them in the exact same location each and every time, even going through shortcuts you may not have opened yet. She's a built-in ghost that was recorded by a developer back in 1999 - not a true NPC racer that makes its own decisions on how to race in real-time.

Please feel free to prove me wrong though, as I'd love to race against her on the Rocket Racer Run.

Please feel free to prove me wrong though, as I'd love to race against her on the Rocket Racer Run.

She was coded into the game as a regular NPC, at least in my version of the game, which is the 1999 version, I assume. Her A.I. behaviour is identical to that of Governor Broadside/Islander/Willa the WItch in so far as she uses all Power-ups, but likes to keep them a few seconds before activation and she manages to pull off a turbo start about half the time. On a side note, she was apparently supposed to appear in a mirrored version of the Rocket Racer Run. However, flipping RRR by means of cheating does not seem to trigger her. So, if you wnat to race her, you'll have to do some editing first.

EDIT2: Can't seem to add VV, nor can I work out why it's crashing. I'll look into it more later.

That's strange, I was able to add VV using a simple Hex editor... If that helped you, I could send you a copy of my CRB file.

I've tested removing racers from the CRB data. It half works; racers are removed from the game, their slot is left empty on the starting grid BUT the game crashes as soon as the game attempts to display the scoreboard (presumably a null pointer exception because it can't find the name for a non-existent player).

Could you please tell me, how you did that? The scoreboard-bug is irrelevant to me, since I only play single races anyway. Circuit races lack the fstfrwrd-cheat, so they're not as exiting.

Well now things are certainly getting interesting. I saw the post about her sound clips being in Rocket Racer Run, but she actually has proper AI? Very interesting. :D

Well, she WAS included in the Lego Racers: Boss Race video, that's been floating around Youtube for quite some time now. I assume that whoever made that used the same tools as I did.

Well, she WAS included in the Lego Racers: Boss Race video, that's been floating around Youtube for quite some time now. I assume that whoever made that used the same tools as I did.

If you mean my video that was created like 9 months ago then I didn't use any tools.I just changed the car and driver models in the GAMEDATA folder.

Oh dear, now that you mention it, Rocket Racers does seem to be hovering a few inches above his driver seat. Still, my point is: Using a simple hex editor should allow you to work VV into the game, at least that's how I did it.

Still, my original question remains: How did Origamiguy manage to leave empty slots in the crb? I'm not a very well versed programmer, so I'm sorry if the answer to that question of mine is really obvious.

Still, my original question remains: How did Origamiguy manage to leave empty slots in the crb? I'm not a very well versed programmer, so I'm sorry if the answer to that question of mine is really obvious.

By opening the CRB in a hex editor and tweaking it based on my knowledge of how the format works. If there's enough interest, I'll release a forked build of the CRB editor that allows you to do it too.

• Like 3

By opening the CRB in a hex editor and tweaking it based on my knowledge of how the format works. If there's enough interest, I'll release a forked build of the CRB editor that allows you to do it too.

Please! Please! Please do! (Actually, I want you to make that universial recompiler first. But whatever. :P)

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.