The Lazer equation

Toom1275

I'm trying to make the lazer vehicles/building more competitive with the drill-based vehicles -- superior mining speed + the mobile defense vs not depleting crystals to use.

The problem I'm having is the time it takes for a lazer to dig through hard rock(the only wall I'm having the lazers take more than a couple seconds to dig) doesn't seem to completely depend on the value for the wall destroy time. I think it's also related to the recharge time of the lazer, but setting the lazer to recharge at 25 (1 second) and making the wall destroy time 50, it took 92 seconds / shots to destroy the wall. Is there some definite formula for how to determine mining times with lazers, or is trial-and-error the best we got?

I'll keep playing with things on my end. Perhaps I'll even get around to taking proper notes as well. If I happen across anything helpful, I'll post it. If not a proper formula, then a table of variables -> effects.

edit:

Just did one test for tonight. Results seem to suggest that the mining speed of a lazer depends on its distance to the target. I set the big lazer's values to 25 recharge, and 50 seconds to dig through all wall types. Testing on Search 'n' Rescue, my tower shot at four targets. one wall cornar-adjacent took about 45 shot-seconds to dig, two walls 2 squares away took 93 and 94 shot-seconds, and one a little over 6 squares away took 106 shot-seconds. I'll have to remember to be consistent in picking targets and locations in the future.

Ugh. just getting some consistent results is annoying. I'm using Search 'n' Rescue for my testing area. New setup is setting up 6 mining lazers at specific distances from the 6 hard rock walls in the first area, from 0 squares between to 5 squares between. Here's the shots,times I got for each test

This... may take a while. I'll post whenever something that may be useful appears from these things.

0 -  53, :53

1 - 45, :45

2 -  50, :50

3 - 66, 1:05

4 - 65, 1:05

5 - 77, 1:17

recharge time is 25

time to destroy hard rock is 30

range is 400

default damage is 100

slowdeath is 1.0:1.0

pilot is 1.0:1.0:1.0:1.0

All I wanted was to be easily and precicely able to set the time it takes to lazer walls, so I can calibrate the cost to about 1 drained crystal per wall, while making lazers faster than drills. Instead, we get 6 variables in the .cfg alone, and more that we can't see.

You can ignore Pilot 1.0 for these tests. That is the damage multiplier to raiders per upgrade level. If you want to prevent friendly fire you should be able to turn that to 0.0 or at least near-zero.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.