Favorite Game of All-Time?

LimeKiller

Star Wars: Battlefront II

I have more hours logged in this game than pretty much any other.  I estimate over my life, I have a few weeks spent playing that game total... which is a lot.

Although I didn't add it to my favourites list, I do love this game. It is certainly my favourite Star Wars game, and every so often I whip it out and play it for hours. I tried the online mode once recently but was pulverised by the players... They're clearly a lot harder than the Elite difficulty. I'm glad there's someone else out there who still enjoys this :)

If you've got it on PC, we should play sometime.  I'm about on par with an Elite bot.

sheepandshepherd

How can I possibly choose only one?!?! But if I had to choose one, probably Oblivion (with mods . . . unmodded, it wouldn't even come close.)

That was the first open-world RPG I ever played (after KOTOR, which wasn't really open-world). And even though Morrowind was more interesting, Oblivion still feels like the most vast game I've ever played. The NPCs were unpleasant to deal with in every way, but the environments were so perfect (not like Skyrim's gray blandness). Nothing is quite like the feeling of exploring those human-less areas, the remote valleys, ruins, lava pits . . . for me anyway, antisocial as I am, heh.

10 of my favorites, in no particular order, that I REALLY like, including some nostalgic older ones:

• Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Fallout 3 (especially with mods -- only lower than Oblivion bc it felt much . . . smaller. Aaaand it started Bethesda's downfall into obsessive grayness . . .)
  • KOTOR II (surprised how many times that one has been mentioned here already  :) )
  • Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun
  • Sword of the Stars series (playing SotSII right now)
  • Bionicle Mata Nui Online Game
  • Mass Effect series ([sarcasm]1 for the Mako driving, 2 for Niftu Cal, 3 for the catalyst[/sarcasm])
  • Star Wars Dark Forces, maybe also the sequels
  • The Longest Journey
  • Leviathan: The Tone Rebellion (yet to find anyone else who has even heard of this one)

But there's soooo many games I'd still happily play again if I had all the time in the world. The list would fill many pages. And now that I brought up just these 10, I feel like playing every dang one of them . . . ahhhh, that's what I get for being too much of a gamer (there's such thing, right?).

Grey, Right
Oblivion was by far the worst of the TES games. The only thing that makes it even slightly bearable is the DB Quest.

Anyway, favorite games? This is going to take a while...
So, probably my all-time favorite game would have to be Daggerfall. The game world is MASSIVE, like seriously, I believe it's twice the size of great britain. Compared to anything that came before, or indeed, afterwards, it's one of the largest game worlds to date. The Roleplaying is also the BEST in the series, You can be basically ANYBODY you want to be, live any life you want. The combat is hard to get into (For most, not me) purely for the fact that it's skill and D20 based, instead of the s***ty slow-ass real time combat of oblivion.

Following would have to be Dragon Age Origins, Baldur's Gate II, Postal 2, XCOM: EU, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, FO NV, Neverwinter Nights, Torchlight 2, STALKER, Diablo 2, Dead Space 2, Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil 2, Risen 2, and Saints Row 3. In no particular order.

sheepandshepherd

That's . . . pretty much exactly what I'm talking about, but if you don't think it looks bland, I won't argue. Blandness is just subjective opinion (if you ask me, Oblivion was blander than Morrowind.) I just didn't like Skyrim nearly as much as Cyrodiil (vanilla or modded, either way).

And the combat . . . heh, s***ty indeed. I'd prefer skill and d20 to random clicking. At least mods somewhat improve it, but if I'm in the mood for combat, I won't be playing Oblivion anyway. The exploration was the enjoyable part, not this.

As for Daggerfall, I haven't played it (yet - plan to), but yeah, what you said is what I've heard from a lot of people who have played it, so I look forward to it. Especially considering DaggerXL.

That's . . . pretty much exactly what I'm talking about, but if you don't think it looks bland, I won't argue. Blandness is just subjective opinion (if you ask me, Oblivion was blander than Morrowind.) I just didn't like Skyrim nearly as much as Cyrodiil (vanilla or modded, either way).

And the combat . . . heh, s***ty indeed. I'd prefer skill and d20 to random clicking. At least mods somewhat improve it, but if I'm in the mood for combat, I won't be playing Oblivion anyway. The exploration was the enjoyable part, not this.

As for Daggerfall, I haven't played it (yet - plan to), but yeah, what you said is what I've heard from a lot of people who have played it, so I look forward to it. Especially considering DaggerXL.

Just download Daggerfall setup, DaggerXL is in alpha. And be sure to edit the controls, I can post a video on how to. The default controls are ass.

1: BIONICLE: Mata Nui Online Game

2: iRacing

3: Halo Reach

4: Minecraft

5: Rock Raiders (of course!  ;) )

6: Junkbot

7: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

8: Wii Sports. xD

9: Midnight Club: LA

10: rFactor

Mine would follow in my top 10 of favorites mainly what I would play the most when I am bored.

• Chess (On the computer)

•  Skyrim

•  The Halo games  (except for Halo 4)

• Lego Rock Raiders

•  Rise of Nations

•  Metroid Prime (I used to play it alot)

•  Super Smash Brothers Brawl

•  The Harvest Moon games (Magical Melody was the best Harvest Moon game)

•  Pikmin 2

•  RUSE (A WWII RTS game)

It's been a while since I've play most of these games. Attempting at modding LRR is a focus for me for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Eh... I'll think you'll find that most of these are LEGO-related...

They're in order of favourtism. (Probably spelt that wrong, but WHO CARES?)

1. Rock Raiders.
  2. Bionicle Heroes
  3. Battle for Middle-Earth 2 (Not 1. Only 2.)
  4. Voya Nui Online Game (especially with cheats... :D)
  5. Age Of Empires 1. (NOT 2. Only 1.) (With expansions)
  6. Cryst-Alien Conflict.
  7. Lego Racers 1.

Yup, I have no gaming life, especially as Minecraft is not on this list (probably around number 14 (Don't lynch me for that))

Reasons

1.  It's just an elegantly simple game, but with a whole lot of advanced stuff. Like the lasers. (Yes, I know they're pretty useless originally, but there is a lot of room for improvment)
  2. I like it. It's got good replay value, and good ol' Lego humour. The style is nice too. Pity you can't beat up Kardas.
  3. There's so much stuff you can do! Summoning Dragons and Balrogs, bringing forth Sauron himself, and ludicrously hard (but NOT impossible!) campaigns.
  4. Again, there's so much you can do. Wander round, get weapons, beat up the Piraka for shards, watch as the Tunnel Scout flies swiftly across the lava the apes and turtles get completely poned by the Mask Of Life.
  5. I've started to make LoTR scenarios on it. :D There's a surprising amount you can do! It's also very simple, like RR.
  6. Aargh, so fun! I wish they made a level editor though... And the bonus levels are also really interesting. (Beeblebrox cheat code is also fun. :D)
  7. *Hums main menu song* Good replay value, and I STILL haven't beat all the Time Trials! It's fun to see how low you can rank the boss (whatever the name is) on the circuit race and still come 1st. :D

Now, I think I know what you're all thinking, "Minecraft has lots of stuff you can do on it!", but really, there's not much point to the game. You make something big and grand and so what? Yay. -.-

Yeah, it's not a very good reason, but there are better games than Minecraft *cough*rockraiders*cough*. :P

Don't lynch me.

Please.

Top five of my favourite games:

1. Portal 2 (due to the fantastic physics)

2. Kerbal Space Program (A perfect game for the space infusiast. The games physics fit very nicely (unless you start to glitch it out))

3. Professor Layton series (Brilliantly designed puzzles. inexplicably mind bending (according to me))

4. Rock Raiders (as some of you know is an interesting strategy game (And I am talking all about the PC version))

5. Team Fortress 2 (Even though my parents tell me it is best not to play First Person Shooters (even though Portal 2 is a First Person Shooter) I still find the game a rather perfect war game, especially in its cartoon like style)

sheepandshepherd

2. Kerbal Space Program (A perfect game for the space infusiast. The games physics fit very nicely (unless you start to glitch it out))

BUT THE CONTROLS.

I'm taking an astronomy class this semester, and people in there keep mentioning this game. Maybe I should be more patient with it? I do like realistic space physics . . .

Now, I think I know what you're all thinking, "Minecraft has lots of stuff you can do on it!", but really, there's not much point to the game. You make something big and grand and so what? Yay. -.-

Yeah, it's not a very good reason, but there are better games than Minecraft *cough*rockraiders*cough*. :P

Don't lynch me.

Please.

I used to play Minecraft . . . but by now, every time I try to get back into it, this is exactly how I feel. I like the survival concept, but it's too simple to be motivating. I like building whatever I want, but redstone isn't exactly very useful (not that any other game I've played does free-built machinery any better, sadly). So yeah, I agree with you.

Then again, maybe I'm spoiled by all the games where crafting is just picking two ingredients out of a list, or where making a building is just clicking on a spot in the world.

That thought gives me some devious ideas though . . . need to go practice programming some more so I can just make the stuff I'm visualizing in my brain here :P

LockmanCapulet

Woo, tough question. In no particular order, here's some of my favorites:

• Pokémon- Seriously, Pokémon is awesome. This requires no explanation.
  • Portal 2- This is the first non-Nintendo or PC game I played extensively (I own the 360 version). HOLY. CRAP. THIS. GAME. Amazing physics! Mind-boggling puzzles! Hilarious, side-splitting dialogue! This deserved every award it won and more.
  • Super Mario Galaxy- This was my first "real" Mario title, and MAN was it mind-blowing. The game was so huge! Despite the linear levels, it had this amazing sense of adventure.
  • Lock's Quest- This DS game was by 5th Cell, the same studio as Drawn to Life and Scribblenauts, but it gets less love. I love the battle elements and the story-driven campaign.

And my all time favorite game...

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Before this game, I was just a casual gamer. I hardly played any "mainstream" games or big titles like Mario or other Zeldas at this point. But everything changed when some friends of mine showed me this game on their Wii. It looked fun so I bought it.

It. Changed. My. Life.

This game was beyond amazing. The story was so gripping, the characters so lovable, the action so intense, and the experience so immersive. And most importantly, it was my formal introduction to the wonderful world of video games. I realized with this game that a game can be so much more than a fun time-waster for long car rides. It is because of this game that I am who I am today.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.