Hide Shoutbox In a Spoiler

le717

Sometimes I really don't want to see the Shoutbox when I am online. Sometimes, I want only the new content and not the shouts. Sometimes, I will have come online after someone has been really mean in the SBox, and I really do not want to see that, and can't scroll all the way up the top of the site because of it.

I would like to suggest some form of a spoiler to conceal the Sbox in when myself and other people do not want to see it. The

tags would not work because it leaves a big line, and it would ruin the layout of the site. Maybe some sort of a collapsible element, which when activated, would take away the box, leave a small banner or line with the words "Shoutbox" and an arrow beside it, or an arrow could be placed beside the current Shoutbox text.

Just a suggestion. :)

Sadie Meowsalot

​Whilst incorporating something like this might make things more comfortable for people such as yourself who don't wish to look at negativity, it's unfortunately a part of everyday life and sometimes you have to deal with it rather than try to escape it or pretend it isn't there. Moreover, from what I've seen you do use the Sbox yourself, so by leaving it collapsed all the time you wouldn't see any potential negativity being spewed within it, but you'd also miss out on things you'd perhaps want to see. Also, something as minuscule and insignificant as someone having been "really mean" really shouldn't prevent you from scrolling to the top of a webpage imo.

Sometimes I really don't want to see the Shoutbox when I am online.
Then click the minimize on it to make it hidden.

Sometimes, I want only the new content and not the shouts.
Uh... the SBox doesn't appear on the New Content page. It only appears on the home page.

Sometimes, I will have come online after someone has been really mean in the SBox, and I really do not want to see that, and can't scroll all the way up the top of the site because of it.
There are going to be a lot of things you don't want to see. In seriousness, it's someone typing things in a box. There is nothing at all physically preventing you from seeing the chat. I hate to sound like one of those idiots in youtube comments, but I really think you should probably try to be less sensitive. This is the world and there will always be things you don't like, some far worse than someone babbling on a little website.

Plus, when have people been "really mean" (extreme is right about that wording) there? If there was someone acting absolutely awful I'd understand not wanting to see that (still nothing that prevents you from scrolling all the way, I would really like it if you could explain to me how this works), but I never see that kind of stuff ever except in events like Devestater's explosions, so I have no idea what you are referring to. It just looks like normal discussion to me.

Maybe some sort of a collapsible element, which when activated, would take away the box, leave a small banner or line with the words "Shoutbox" and an arrow beside it, or an arrow could be placed beside the current Shoutbox text.
It has always had exactly this feature since it was brought back, just like every other
  • Like 2

I can't believe I missed that. Must be the location of the toggle switch. :P

Thanks!

It's because it's invisible unless you mouse-over the shoutbox. Yeah. I don't get it either.

Even though this has been answered, I'm just posting to show that I did read this and yes the ability to hide it is there, in fact you can completely disable it in the SBox settings... although you may have a hard time enabling it again later.

Sometimes, I will have come online after someone has been really mean in the SBox, and I really do not want to see that, and can't scroll all the way up the top of the site because of it.

I would like to suggest some form of a spoiler to conceal the Sbox in when myself and other people do not want to see it.

I cried in laughter. If you think people in the SBox are bad...wow.

I dont know. On other sites people get banned for what they say in the shoutbox...

So? Just because other sites do it, doesn't mean ours should. Personally, I think that's a bit irrational.

Personally, I don't think anyone should get suspended or banned for a minor or medium offense in the shoutbox. If I see something naughty in the shoutbox I just edit it out. If it's a huge violation of forum rules then I bring it up with the other mods. And if things get really bad then we can purge every single shoutbox post and end arguments instantly. We have a lot of power that doesn't require us to use our banweapons.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.