In-game Coordinate viewer

grappigegovert

grappigegovert

LR Coordinate Viewer

I'd like to show you the coordinate viewer I made.
It shows you your coordinates when in a race.
This may be useful with editing tracks (startpos/object locations)

I don't know how to display this in full-screen mode,
so you'll have to play in windowed mode for this to work.

Screenshot:
gallery_4344_345_200187.png

Download link:

https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/dl-r17/

Note: Does not yet work with the 1999 DRM version.
If anyone could send me the correct memory addresses or an image file of the CD, I can update it.

UPDATE:
New since V2.1:
 - Force the use of dots as decimal points so you can paste them directly into a binary file.

New since v2:
- Rotation
- Highlightable values for easy copy/paste
- One exe for both versions
- Option to change pointer if all values show '0'

O.T. Also,
Hi, I'm new here.
I have been following this forum for a while now, but I don't post often on forums.
Edited by Slimy Slug
Fixed broken embed and updated download link

JrMasterModelBuilder

I'm curious, exactly how does the .NET program get the coordinates from LEGO Racers?

Ah, that's one heck of a first post. Welcome, and good job!

... So, what's the easiest way to play in windowed mode? :P

Setting your monitor to 16-bot color mode is the only way I know.

Fluffy Cupcake

What's different enough between the two versions to need two different programs?

The exe is very different for starters. Aside from that... no idea.

Anyway, nice tool, and welcome! Now if only you can get it to display the angle/dirrection you are in (using quaternions like the in the files), then it would be perfect!

I'm curious, exactly how does the .NET program get the coordinates from LEGO Racers?

Memory editing.

Two versions for two different exe's which change the location of the addresses.

Great work! First post and already a great tool that can help the reversed project (I guess you read about that, eh?)!

Anyway, nice tool, and welcome! Now if only you can get it to display the angle/dirrection you are in (using quaternions like the in the files), then it would be perfect!

I hope you can also get that to work :)

Darn it, already reversed all startpositions. This tool would have saved me up on some time, but I had no problems without the tool anyway (except for angles...).

grappigegovert

Thanks for all the great replies guys!
I'll look into the rotation, although I don't really understand the quaternions yet.

Fluffy Cupcake

Thanks for all the great replies guys!

I'll look into the rotation, although I don't really understand the quaternions yet.

:D, yeah. That's a tough one.

Not sure if

First 3 floats for the rotation are an XYZ vector for "forward"

Second 3 floats are an XYZ vector for "up"

helps, origamiguy would have to confirm if it does.

Aside running in 16-bit colour mode to make it windowed (which I haven't tried yet cause no idea how... that or it doesn't work for me), or not having two monitors, you can't have it still show last coordinates while minimizing can you? (it just shows 0 on coordinates.)

Not sure if

First 3 floats for the rotation are an XYZ vector for "forward"

Second 3 floats are an XYZ vector for "up"

No no no no no.

Lego Racers uses two methods for storing rotation. Quaternions, and vector pairs.

A Quaternion is composed of 4 floating-point numbers (floats). A complex explanation can be found here

A vector pair is a pair of XYZ vectors. The first represents "forward" and the second represents "up".

The default value for a quaternion is (0,0,0,1).

The default value for a vector pair is (1,0,0) (0,0,1).

Quaternions are almost certainly how the game stores rotations in memory, and is what grappigegovert should be looking for.

Vector Pairs are used when defining how an object is rotated in a scene (such as in cutscenes).

Fluffy Cupcake

No no no no no.

Lego Racers uses two methods for storing rotation. Quaternions, and vector pairs.

A Quaternion is composed of 4 floating-point numbers (floats). A complex explanation can be found here

A vector pair is a pair of XYZ vectors. The first represents "forward" and the second represents "up".

The default value for a quaternion is (0,0,0,1).

The default value for a vector pair is (1,0,0) (0,0,1).

Quaternions are almost certainly how the game stores rotations in memory, and is what grappigegovert should be looking for.

Vector Pairs are used when defining how an object is rotated in a scene (such as in cutscenes).

Oooooooh, okay. Thanks for clarification.

grappigegovert

Aside running in 16-bit colour mode to make it windowed (which I haven't tried yet cause no idea how... that or it doesn't work for me), or not having two monitors, you can't have it still show last coordinates while minimizing can you? (it just shows 0 on coordinates.)

To run in windowed mode, put your display to 16-bit and make a shortcut to LEGORacers.exe in which you add '-window' at the end (http://www.rockraidersunited.org/topic/5256-lego-racers-1-exe-parameters/)

But it should also give the right values when minimized, are you running the correct version?

Fluffy Cupcake

-how to-

But it should also give the right values when minimized, are you running the correct version?

Okay, thanks.

Yes, I am pretty sure. Though at this very moment I found out why it wasn't working. Since I changed my Racers .exe to run in Win 98/Me compatibility, that somehow makes it now have to run with admin permission, (even after taking it back off...[if someone can help me get that off it would be nice]), so I had to run your tool as admin as well for it to show.

Just a thought, if you could make the coordinates in the program highlightable, that would be nice for easy copy-pasting.

grappigegovert

Updated to include rotation and some other things!

(I'm not entirely sure if the rotation is correct but I think it is)

Just a heads up, this doesn't get the correct coordinates on RRR

I think it's correct, what makes you think it isn't, if I may ask?

And to anyone who can delete files,

the files 'LR Coordinate Viewer_681708.zip' and 'LR Coordinate viewer 2001_922489.zip'

are no longer in use.

Fluffy Cupcake

I think it's correct, what makes you think it isn't, if I may ask?

Okay, nvm seems to be fine. It's just the way the course is positioned and made changing the starting position confusing.

• 4 weeks later...
RobExplorien

MAY I ASK WHY MY REPLY HAS BEEN REMOVED???

It was a normal question.

Take it easy with the caps. It was probably removed because the topic is about LEGO Racers (and not the game you asked a question about), and I believe this is not the place to expect a person (or more) to make tools for any game requested. We have a section for such questions as yours, called 'Gaming Discussion'. You might want to try it there.

Take it easy with the caps. It was probably removed because the topic is about LEGO Racers (and not the game you asked a question about), and I believe this is not the place to expect a person (or more) to make tools for any game requested. We have a section for such questions as yours, called 'Gaming Discussion'. You might want to try it there.

Yep. I reported it because it was only tangentially related to the discussion and didn't add anything of value. And yes, I do appreciate the hypocrisy of this comment.

It was an off-topic question. If you want your question answered instead of mercilessly deleted (thought that may have been a bit heavy-handed), please post a topic in either of these non-LEGO subforums and we'll either help you or point you in the right direction:

http://www.rockraidersunited.org/forum/164-gaming-discussion/

http://www.rockraidersunited.org/forum/163-general-discussion/

Also be sure to read this: http://www.rockraidersunited.org/topic/4132-global-forum-rules/

Now let's get back on topic. Dismissed!

• ShadowDraikana changed the title to In-game Coordinate viewer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.