Make a Brickfilm for The LEGO Movie

lol username

lol username

For those who don't know, a new LEGO movie is coming in February 2014. This isn't anything like previous LEGO movies though: It's a theatrical movie directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, and stars a mostly original cast of characters in a 100% LEGO world with CGI that looks like a "super-charged stop motion" (stiff minifigures and all) and has a story emphasizing creativity. I say it's a "mostly" original cast because the universe the movie takes place in is a mash-up of pretty much everything LEGO, and then has Batman and Superman on top of that.

The creators of the movie held a vehicle design contest last year, but now they're upping the ante and hosting a competition with ReBrick to make a LEGO animation that will be featured in a scene of the movie.

Here's the rundown: The scene must use one of the following LEGO themes for a location:

• City
  • Space
  • Pirates
  • Western
  • Vikings
  • Dino
  • Castle
  • Pharaoh’s Quest
  • Adventurers
  • Atlantis
  • Ninjago
  • Power Miners

Yes, Adventurers.

You must construct the set entirely out of pure LEGO elements (no customization or foreign objects), and make sure nothing but the set is shown - no shots showing part of your house or whatever. The scene's character or characters must be fitting for the theme chosen. There must also be a vehicle or some sort of LEGO structure in the scene.

Ok, so what should happen with the character(s) and LEGO prop? The hero of the scene has to break down the vehicle or whatever and rebuild it into something else. Just what, exactly? That's the fun part - anything and everything. The example they gave was the transformation of a truck into a duck jet plane, anything goes. So be creative - that's the point of the whole movie.

The contest is open to anybody ages 16 and up, and the video must be uploaded to YouTube and submitted to ReBrick by May 6th. The video must be between 15 and 30 seconds long and the frames must be captured with a camera that is at least 3.2 megapixels in a 2.40:1 aspect ratio, and cannot contain the LEGO logo. The top 25 entries with the most likes on ReBrick will be judged on creativity, originality, and theme by four people (Kevin Hinkle, North American Community Coordinator for LEGO, directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller, and co-director Chris McKay), with first, second, and third place prizes.

So, what are the prizes?

One (1) grand winner will receive a prize of:

• The chance to be featured during a scene in THE LEGO MOVIE.
  • A trip to WB Studios with Deluxe VIP Tour for 2 with a 2-night hotel stay in beautiful Los Angeles, airfare included.
  • A trip to meet the directors of the movie to take part in a LEGO Build with 2-night hotel stay in beautiful Los Angeles, airfare included.
  • A customized engraved LEGO ticket to THE LEGO MOVIE designed and built by the official LEGO model shop.
  • The full product range of the set from the movie when available, signed by designers.
One (1) second place winner will receive a prize of:
  • Trip to WB Studios with Deluxe VIP Tour for 2 with a 2-night hotel stay in beautiful Los Angeles, airfare included.
  • The full product range of the set from the movie when available, signed by designers.
One (1) third place winner will receive a prize of:

Surprise prizes will also be awarded every two weeks throughout the contest, but as they're surprises we obviously don't know the details. It also sounds like LEGO will be making this movie its own LEGO theme as well, with sets and all.

How do the directors plan on incorporating the winning animation into the movie? We'll find out eventually. Let's hope they choose a good one!

Sources: ReBrick

I wish I had more Lego for a proper set, I could totally do this. Or, my brother (who still has the entire tray under his bed filled with LEGO) and I could team up...

Anyway, the movie is sounding better than I hoped, especially with voices from Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman and Will Ferrell :D

Thank you very much for posting this article jamesster!

Olivus Prime

I still think the movie will probably suck, but man, I hope whoever wins uses a classic theme in their film - a good enough Adventurers clip could spark new interest and possibly a revival.

I made a short Brickfilm with a friend of the opening scene of Romeo and Juliet for an English project, and while it was tonnes of fun to do, I neither have the time nor the bricks to make a clip good enough for the silver screen.

"Pharaoh's Quest", you say?

Man, I could actually DO something out of that.

I might actually do this!

Alright! Time to get my Exploriens and Spyrius sets.

Good luck to both of you!

EDIT: Also, LOL, who wants to make a Power Miners clip? Any takers?

H-hold on. They want us to create an entire setup big enough to fit an entire LEGO film, and they want the entire setup to be themed after a specific theme, and they don't want to see an inch of our houses.

I DO NOT HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY! D:

Wait only those themes? That's dumb. Especially since they are accepting Power Miners videos but no Rock Raiders.

GUYS WE SHOULD ALL SUBMIT ROCK RAIDERS VIDEOS IT WILL BE HILARIOUS.

Wait only those themes? That's dumb. Especially since they are accepting Power Miners videos but no Rock Raiders.

GUYS WE SHOULD ALL SUBMIT ROCK RAIDERS VIDEOS IT WILL BE HILARIOUS.

I think it's perfectly understandable. We should be made to fit their script, not the other way around. But I agree, it's a shame they went with Power Miners over Rock Raiders, but understandable as there are more sets and it's the more recent re-release. Plus the rock monsters are more colourful and 'cuddly'.

Wait I just re-read the rules. It says that one of the themes from the list must be used for a location.

It then says that the character must be fitting for the scene, right? But it does not say it has to be from that theme.

And from what I can tell the "prop" can be just about anything.

My point?

We could, technically, still do a Rock Raiders short so long as we use a set from Power Miners or another fitting theme as the background.

Loophole abuse at its finest. :D

lol username

Why is Quebec outlawed from this? That seems awfully random...

... Wat.

Huh, I didn't notice that. Strange.

Why is Quebec outlawed from this? That seems awfully random...

... Wat.

Huh, I didn't notice that. Strange.

Allow a Canadian to explain this...

for some reason, Quebec has always been exempt from all contests that I have ever seen, due to their primary language being French (HON HON HON BAGUETTE EIFFEL TOWER). That, and Quebec actually doesn't want to be part of Canada, so for whatever reason, all English-speaking contests are restricted from Quebec.

Yeah, I don't exactly know why either. Just that this isn't uncommon.

The Ace Railgun

WHAT!? No bionicle?... I just died a little inside... Well anywho I probably won't be doing this because of my own parody/film/stop motion thing

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.