Drome Racers Diorama

Jimbob

For those who haven't been following my blog posts, I've been working on building a diorama based on LEGO Drome Racers. With my dad's help, the board was made from scratch, while I purchased the sets and trees to place on top. The last LEGO parts arrived today, so I put it together, and here are the results!

gallery_5738_293_363882.jpg

gallery_5738_293_565166.jpg

gallery_5738_293_1215114.jpg

gallery_5738_293_1382806.jpg

I'm really pleased with it, although it's not finished yet as my dad's figured out how to add accurate tread marks in the sand, so I'll be adding those soon.

So, what do people think of it?

lol username

Yes.

I absolutely loved Drome Racers... Wow, it's been over ten years. I really wish LEGO would revive it, or do something similar (World Racers didn't quite do it for me, as there were only two teams and one wave of sets). And of course, LEGO Racers 4D was awesome too. And the video game... Not perfect, but I love it. (Speaking of which, I'd really like to mod it once the archive format is cracked, right now all we can really do is swap out music...)

And then there was that online multiplayer Drome Racers game which I sadly never played. But from what I've heard, the strategy was in the car part selection, and the actual racing was a series of dynamic animations, so I'm not to bummed about that.

You know what would be amazing? An online multiplayer Drome Racers game. Combine the high speed and action of the original game with more open environments and incorporate the Drome's terraforming into the gameplay (instead of going back to the garage between each race in an MCR, just morph the track right then and there as you're still driving), and...

Yeah. Thanks for the nostalgia wave. :D

• Like 2

Yes.

1. I absolutely loved Drome Racers... Wow, it's been over ten years. I really wish LEGO would revive it, or do something similar (World Racers didn't quite do it for me, as there were only two teams and one wave of sets). And of course, LEGO Racers 4D was awesome too. And the video game... Not perfect, but I love it. (Speaking of which, I'd really like to mod it once the archive format is cracked, right now all we can really do is swap out music...)

2. And then there was that online multiplayer Drome Racers game which I sadly never played. But from what I've heard, the strategy was in the car part selection, and the actual racing was a series of dynamic animations, so I'm not to bummed about that.

3. You know what would be amazing? An online multiplayer Drome Racers game. Combine the high speed and action of the original game with more open environments and incorporate the Drome's terraforming into the gameplay (instead of going back to the garage between each race in an MCR, just morph the track right then and there as you're still driving), and...

Yeah. Thanks for the nostalgia wave. :D

1. Yep, I loved Drome Racers too. Probably my favourite rendition of the Racers theme LEGO has done to date, plus one of the first LEGO sets I had.

2. I absolutely LOVED that game. Rather than actually race, you built your car using credits earned by racing, and raced NPCs/Players to earn credits. When your car was good enough you raced a boss and ranked up, at which point you had access to better cars and started again with an added level of difficulty. The environments were pretty nice, too. There was a re-release much later, but I didn't find it as good.

3. Do you mean an online version of the PC game, or the old one you previously referred to? I've always wanted to re-create the old on in Flash, as I need some kind of game project I can work on.

Thanks for the comments :)

Wow! Very well done! I loved those LEGO sets that remind me of good old times :D

Yeah. Thanks for the nostalgia wave.

SAME!

• 1 month later...

Did I seriously miss this for two months? :/

I have no real experience with Drome Racers, but this is a great layout in my opinion. Maybe I should look into this theme...

Wow! Very well done! I loved those LEGO sets that remind me of good old times :D

Yeah. Thanks for the nostalgia wave.

SAME!

Haha, thank you.

Did I seriously miss this for two months? :/

I have no real experience with Drome Racers, but this is a great layout in my opinion. Maybe I should look into this theme...

While some Drome Racers don't particularly excite me, there are several (including these and the smaller sets) that I used to love collecting. The online Drome Racing Challenge game was probably my favourite part of the theme though.

The online Drome Racing Challenge game was probably my favourite part of the theme though.

Is it in the biomedia pack or anywhere online somewhere? I can't find it, but I don't know what I'm looking for.

The online Drome Racing Challenge game was probably my favourite part of the theme though.

Is it in the biomedia pack or anywhere online somewhere? I can't find it, but I don't know what I'm looking for.

Nope, as it was a multiplayer online game. A great shame, I would still be playing it now if they kept it running.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.