Properly Recording LEGO Games with Fraps

le717

I was finally able to by Fraps to record all my games, but now that I have it, a completely different problem has surfaced: it can't record them! So, toward all those people who have Fraps: how do I properly record my LEGO games?

Games I have tried so far:

• LEGO Island: Always sticks on the transitions. Even if the last one was 5 minutes ago, it will show only that and my cursor. Sounds works
  • LEGO Racers 1999/2001: Sound only; records completely black screen
  • LEGO Racers 2: Works perfectly
  • Island Xtreme Stunts: Works perfectly
  • LEGO Digitial Designer: Works perfectly (OpenGL)

Also, the nVidia Control Panel will not let me run Fraps on my discrete GPU, it is "hard-coded" to make it run on my Intel integrated card. Is there any way I can changes this? Perhaps this is partly why it will not record?

lol username

The only game I can think of that Fraps hasn't worked on for me is LEGO Loco, it's recorded everything else I've tried perfectly. Something must be borked on your end.

I'm trying this on my laptop, who's specs are in my profile (Win8 x64). I have Fraps running as Admin, while Island and Racers both as Admin and set to run on my nVidia card. I told Island to use the Intel like Fraps, but it did the exact same thing.

EDIT: Tried it on Racers 2001, exact same thing. Perhaps lack of proper Win8 support is doing this? I doubt it, since I see that plenty of other Win8 can use Fraps perfectly.

Fluffy Cupcake

:|, I, like Jamesster, have no problem recording these games (I'm using nVidia myself, though I remember using it on a laptop with integrated Intel before too). Does it do the same for non-LEGO games too?

:|, I, like Jamesster, have no problem recording these games (I'm using nVidia myself, though I remember using it on a laptop with integrated Intel before too). Does it do the same for non-LEGO games too?

Gah! Then why won't it work for me? Windows 8? Perhaps @MrEightThreeOne will see this and reply. I think he uses 8 now.

Unknown, as I've yet to install NFS:U2 (my only other non-LEGO game after Chicken Hunter, which is also isn't installed) on my laptop. Will check on that.

Welp, I just discovered something. Seems Fraps will record OpenGL stuff on my laptop, but won't do a think for DirectX. I installed Chicken Hunter just now (old game from 2004), and the exact same thing happened with it as does everything else.

My next test will be to update my GPU drivers. I just did my nVidia, and with the nVidia Control Panel forcing it to run on the Intel, my driver might not be supported, thus creating this error.

EDIT: Oh yea, that sounds like it. The version of the currently installed Intel driver: 9.17.10.2817, released on 7/20/2012. The newest version? 15.31.3.64.3071, released on 03/22/2013. This is really sounding like the problem now...

EDIT 2: Nothing. It is STILL the same. And yet, plenty of other people can use Fraps correctly on Win8. Why can't I? D:

Edited by le717

• 2 weeks later...

I've tested it on my other LEGO games (sans LIJ2), and still only Racers ('99 and '01) and Island will not record properly, and I think I figured it out.

The simple fact the Fraps does not have complete Windows 8 support. I put Racers '01 and the Fraps demo on the only other Win8 laptop in the house (which has an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and Intel Graphics only), and the same thing happened as it does on my laptop.

So, I guess case closed until proper Windows 8 support in Fraps arrives.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.