LEGO Castle Images Surface (And Insight from McStudz)

STUDZ

So remember when I said that we'd be getting some new LEGO Castle sets later this year? And I got my facts wrong and called it "Castle Legends"?

Well, we've finally got some high-quality images, thanks to Eurobricks. You can check out the full details in the Source, but I will make some highlights here, as well as posting some of the new images:

FOREST AMBUSH

b_70400_box_side_800.jpg

The Forest Ambush set looks alright for a small set. Four generic soldiers, two from each side. Great for buying in bulk if you want to have armies of these guys. And with a price tag of about $10-$13 USD (I'm guessing this from the piece count), this can be easily done... If you have bucks to burn, that is. :P

My only qualm is that I was hoping for some Forestmen. And I'm not going to get your hopes up, THERE ARE NONE IN THIS WAVE, at the very least. Sad day.

GOLD GETAWAY

b_70401_box_side_800.jpg

Based on the piece-to-price ratio of $0.10 USD per piece, this set should be about $20 USD. There is some good stuff here, albeit less figures. But the carriage is the main reason to buy this set. Other than that, nothing to say here. Reminds me a bit of the Prison Carriage Rescue set from LEGO Kingdoms in 2010.

Nothing really to say about GATEHOUSE RAID, but I'll post a pic anyway, in case you don't really feel like clicking the source:

b_70402_box_side_800.jpg

Meh.

DRAGON MOUNTAIN

b_70403_box_side_800.jpg

Boy, was I disappointed. This set has elements from the 2007 Castle set Skeleton Tower and the 2010 Kingdoms set Prison Tower Rescue. The Dragon looks exactly like the Dragon from Skeleton Tower, only with a lighter red. the building doesn't look very mountain-y, and the wizard looks a bit like a younger version from 2007 Castle. There looks to be a red Energy Crystal in the tower, some accessories here and there, but again...

Meh.

KING'S CASTLE

This is it. The crowning gem of this year's Castle theme (no pun intended). The big set, the one every kid will want, the castle that will make past sets like it pale in comparis--

b_70404_box_side_800.jpg

You know what, I just give up.

This castle looks so PLAIN compared to previous years'. It even has that breakaway wall segment seen in 2007's King's Castle Siege IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT.

And that's not all, folks. No, this set has the EXACT SAME NAME as the KINGDOMS COUNTERPART. Now, all three sets have around the same amount of pieces (933-996), but the 2007 castle looked like it had more. Hell, even the KINGDOMS one looks better! AND THIS ONE HAS THE MOST PIECES!

It's not a bad set, from the looks of it. There are just better castles before it. With more play value.

So there we have it. We've got five mediocre Castle sets coming out later this year, with a common element of catapults in every set. or those flick-fire things which I have WAY too many of. And we also have McStudz ranting about how disappointing these sets look compared to previous years as a bonus. You're welcome.

Anyway, comments? Criticisms? Contradictions? Put 'em in the comments!

Sources:  http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75856&st=1125#entry1576751 

EDIT: Fixed the broken link for "King's Castle Siege". Thanks, Cyrem.

Edited by McStudz

lol username

Oh no, the castle theme has been simplified to appeal to younger kids while LEGO focuses on providing more detailed and advanced Lord of the Rings sets for the older audience! How dare LEGO appeal to multiple age ranges at once!

Seriously, I can see why older fans are disappointed, but honestly these sets aren't aimed at us, they're aimed at the younger audience who prefer the brighter colors and simpler construction over the darker tones and more advanced sets for Lord of the Rings. It's basically another shot at Knights Kingdom 1... And I've actually heard people on RRU express happy nostalgia for that theme, which was even more dumbed down than this.

• Like 2

RobExplorien

GATEHOUSE RAID, as if it is completely copied from the #7187 Escape from the Dragon's Prison.

I never got into the Castle theme, nor am I planning to. It just doesn't appeal to me, that medieval stuff.

BobaFett2

I never expect much from LEGO Castles. They're largely big wall pieces with windows in them. It's not a new thing - not that I blame TLG - that's a good way to save money. I suppose the Castle of Morcia could be considered an exception. Occasionally a cool feature is added, but even that doesn't change the fact that they're mostly walls with window holes. With the rest, however, I am disappointed.

Oh no, the castle theme has been simplified to appeal to younger kids while LEGO focuses on providing more detailed and advanced Lord of the Rings sets for the older audience! How dare LEGO appeal to multiple age ranges at once!

Seriously, I can see why older fans are disappointed, but honestly these sets aren't aimed at us, they're aimed at the younger audience who prefer the brighter colors and simpler construction over the darker tones and more advanced sets for Lord of the Rings. It's basically another shot at Knights Kingdom 1... And I've actually heard people on RRU express happy nostalgia for that theme, which was even more dumbed down than this.

Nostalgia doesn't require something to be good...

I had nostalgia for Jack Stone even though it sucked. Now that I've played the game again it's gone.

And I had nostalgia for Galidor - it's hilarious in retrospect.

Knights Kingdom 1 was more dumbed down, although I myself feel like the castle looks a little better - maybe that's nostalgia?

I had nostalgia for Jack Stone even though it sucked. Now that I've played the game again it's gone.

There's a game? D8

BobaFett2

There's a game? D8

Yes. It sucks.

Alcom Isst

There's a game? D8

Didn't Lair want to Let's Play every Pre-TT LEGO game?

Pranciblad

Didn't Lair want to Let's Play every Pre-TT LEGO game?

Just when you thought Friends was the worst you'd have to deal with...

What has happened to the horses? Do they have moveable parts now? I liked them better before.

I don't think this new castle line looks good, but then again I haven't liked the new castle lines for a long time. Knights Kingdom 1 was good, though, it was one of the best, but that is probably because of nostalgia, and the fact that it was the present castle line when I was in the castle age.

lol username

There's a game? D8

Yes. It sucks.

... huuuuuuuuuuh?

ok, it's past midnight and I AM pretty ditzy at the moment, but...

What? o_o

Wow those buildings are bland. The colour scheme is... simple. Maybe LEGO should look at having two Medieval themes, one for kids... one for adults. Kids can be all simple and for the adults, more detailed, far better colouring and perhaps the more Gothic style buildings like they should be.

Are you referring a LEGO Flash game on their website?

BTW: The King's Castle Siege link is broken.

• Like 2

I wonder why the dragon reminds me of Lego Universe... Hmm...

The sets are nice and I just don't like how Lego are making more sets of the future and the present but they don't do sets that relate to past events or times until now. This series will give a boost for the past as many Lego fans might try and get the dragon.

Olivus Prime

I agree that some of these sets look a little bland. When Kingdom 1 came out, how many blue-and-light-grey-castles-with-lion-motifs had we had? Two from my recollection, unless there were others in the 80s that I'm forgetting. By now, we've had Castle and Kingdom 2, so the theme may be running low on steam. I appreciate the reference to older mythos, but Castle 2 will need a lot more imagination to keep it exciting and fresh.

That said, this castle probably resembles the LEGOLAND Windsor castle the most in its architecture, which is pretty awesome... it's actually kind of tempting now, when I think about it.

The sets are nice and I just don't like how Lego are making more sets of the future and the present but they don't do sets that relate to past events or times until now. This series will give a boost for the past as many Lego fans might try and get the dragon.

LEGO has produced medieval sets before, this is just another reboot.

Also, why is the dragon taking the gold? What is a dragon going to do with gold? The only explanation I can see is that the dragon likes shiny things. But if that is the case, the dragon should be taking all the armour as well.

Maybe I'm over thinking things... or TLG is under-thinking things? :/

I thought one of the typical traits of fantasy dragons was that they stole gold and hid it in their lairs? Take The Hobbit for example, the dragon steals the plunder of the dwarves and hides it in the mountain.

Well, my brother likes these sets, but to me they look like they should be Duplo sets. They just don't quite work as well. Maybe it's the bright colours... I do like the return of the Lion and Bulls, unless they've always used those factions.

BobaFett2

Sorry Lair, it's a flash game on the site.

Dragons are known for a love of gold.

What has happened to the horses? Do they have moveable parts now? I liked them better before.

I don't think this new castle line looks good, but then again I haven't liked the new castle lines for a long time. Knights Kingdom 1 was good, though, it was one of the best, but that is probably because of nostalgia, and the fact that it was the present castle line when I was in the castle age.

The horses now are poseable.

Sorry Lair, it's a flash game on the site.

Oh okay good. So I can just do it as an episode of my Lego.com games series and not try to hunt down some stupid thing.

Maybe LEGO should look at having two Medieval themes, one for kids... one for adults. Kids can be all simple and for the adults, more detailed, far better colouring and perhaps the more Gothic style buildings like they should be.

That's what their TLotR theme is supposed to be, sort of, I guess.

What has happened to the horses? Do they have moveable parts now? I liked them better before

4378133204_c817e9a900_m.jpg

What has happened to the horses? Do they have moveable parts now? I liked them better before

4378133204_c817e9a900_m.jpg

I certainly hadn't expected that reference.
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.