Can't run LRR in a VM

planetguy

I successfully (I think...) installed LRR in a Windows 98 VM, with VirtualBox. When I try running Rock Raiders, it hangs the VM and I have to kill it from the host OS (Ubuntu 12.04).

Has anyone been able to get LRR working in a VM?

Mr. Eight-Three-One

Rock Raiders requires 3D acceleration, something that VirtualBox does not support with Windows 98.

• Like 2

You're better off using an XP/Win7 virtual machine. I know addictgamer claims to have gotten that working.

I have yet to try the following: VirtualBox+Win7 host+Ubuntu guest+Wine+LRR.  Has anyone else tried this?

O.T.
I already have that guest set up as my video editor.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend using a Win98 VM as it's performance is slower in VBox than XP/Win7. It will work using RGB emulation if you launch LegoRR.exe directly.

I managed to get LRR working in a XP VBox VM. Can't remember exactly how I got it to run but I think you need to install the guest editions, enable 3D acceleration and disable 2D acceleration. Then create a shortcut to the LegoRR.exe file and use that. You may also need to change the default graphics card with CLGen.exe, Can't quite remember which I choose so try both.

You may also need to change the default graphics card with CLGen.exe

All CLGen does is add one of two switches to the launch options. I know one of them disables fog. I don't remember what the other one does, but it's not going to impact your game much.

You may also need to change the default graphics card with CLGen.exe

All CLGen does is add one of two switches to the launch options. I know one of them disables fog. I don't remember what the other one does, but it's not going to impact your game much.

Now that you mention it I don't think that did help, It was a while ago since I did it and I did try quite a lot before I got it to work. :whistle:

Its more than I got on this Win7 machine.  I could never get it to install.  The installer just hangs.

gallery_23_73_371841.png

gallery_23_73_162140.png

Not exactly playable.

• Like 1

Thank you for suggesting using a WinXP guest, it seemed to help. Now, LRR won't launch because it can't find the CD, even though it is in the drive and passthrough is enabled in the VM settings. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

WINE has never and will never run LRR.

Actually I'm running baz's mod in Wine right now (I use Ubuntu 13.04). It's not perfect but it's definitely playable.

Actually I'm running baz's mod in Wine right now (I use Ubuntu 13.04). It's not perfect but it's definitely playable.

I then cordially invite you to explain precisely what steps are required to run LRR in WINE.

I then cordially invite you to explain precisely what steps are required to run LRR in WINE.

I ran the installer through Playonlinux > Install non-listed program. Once it finished I installed amstream + devenum + quartz (as the WIneHQ thing says.). Didn't work out of the box, so I copied d3drm.dll to the "drive_C/windows/system" as well as to my install folder. I also deleted the video files from the AVI folder. After this, it launches without any problem when I select the following option at launch:

Mode Selection: DirectDraw HAL (display)            =>            Device: "Direct3D HEL (RGB Direct3D emulation)"            Full screen

The only real issue is that the mouse is a bit funny (clicking on the characters doesn't always select them), but other than that it launches and works fine.

I ran the installer through Playonlinux > Install non-listed program. Once it finished I installed amstream + devenum + quartz (as the WIneHQ thing says.). Didn't work out of the box, so I copied d3drm.dll to the "drive_C/windows/system" as well as to my install folder. I also deleted the video files from the AVI folder. After this, it launches without any problem when I select the following option at launch:

Mode Selection: DirectDraw HAL (display)            =>            Device: "Direct3D HEL (RGB Direct3D emulation)"            Full screen

The only real issue is that the mouse is a bit funny (clicking on the characters doesn't always select them), but other than that it launches and works fine.

D3DRM.DLL from where? An original windows installation?

It's the one we throw around here. It's been uploaded ages ago.

It's the one we throw around here. It's been uploaded ages ago.

Seeing as I haven't been around much, ¿Dónde está?

I'm trying to duplicate your success in getting LRR running under WINE, but I'm missing one piece of information: what version of WINE are you using? I would guess 1.5 or 1.6, but it takes for me to install it all, so getting the same version at the beginning is helpful.

Sorry for the late reply. Initially the Wine version was just listed as "System" under Playonlinux. Since I had to reinstall Ubuntu a few days ago, I got the chance to try installing it again. This time, Rock Raiders worked best for me with Wine version 1.3.27 (x86). Can't seem to get Fullscreen working again though, but Windowed works just as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.