Fan made game: LEGO Travellers

brick5492

Hello!

You may know me from the LU wiki, I am brick5492, and I am making a fan made lego game.

The game is in development for a while now, and the progress is going as planned :)

Worlds and stuff are almost done, brick build system is in the making and I am planning to release a demo before the end of the year.

The game is going to be multiplayer, in the way that the player can host or join a running game from someone else.

Cause I am still working hard on the multiplayer, the demo is going to be single player.

screenshot-30.png

bb0-1-6dev2.png

As you can see it isnt ready, but its coming along ;)

The site is http://www.legotravellers.wordpress.com

Hope you like it!

• Like 2

Hi Brick, welcome to the site.  First off, I want to say that it's great that you are learning programming and seem to have come quite a ways.  This site is a great way to get constructive criticism from individuals who are doing similar things at an equal or higher level. 

It's clear you have a vision but I would urge you to focus on building a solid backbone for your game rather than focusing (albiet not exclusively) on the creative side immediately.  That is conceptualizing a game that would be fun and work correctly before delving straight into creating it.  No doubt there are many development styles out there but from what I can see immediately the game seems to be focused on much of its visual presentation and not on its gameplay mechanics.  Even the visual presentation seems to be a bit lack luster.  I don't know how experienced you are so I don't know what is fair game for me to criticize or not but I will say that the graphics are - at the onset - not that appealing.  The shaders you are using (or not using) aren't really doing it for me as everything seems to be lit with very flat light.  You seem to be trying to mimic the style of LEGO Universe but its really not there yet, and I don't think the very non-LEGO looking building models are helping.  I personally would question the wisdom of creating anything based on LU but that's probably because I was not a fan of it and prefer the more classic look of the older games. 

I think the biggest thing that's missing is that from what you've showed us I'm really not sure what the purpose of the game is and how that purpose is communicated via the game's elements.  In an ideal world, a game's internal logic is consistant, that all of the elements (graphics, gameplay, story, etc) work together to reinforce each other and the game's overall objective and purpose.  I'm not getting that here.  Granted, that might be because you're still in the development phase but you've said that you're pretty far along.  If I were you, I would stop work and take stock of where you wanted to be originally, where you are currently, and where you are going.  I think there are some big picture questions you need to address that are weakening your project.  Even if you decide that you're exactly where you want to be, I think the introspection would still be a worthwhile excercise.

Thanks for your constructive critisim! I just got a new coder, so the coding part is going faster as expected :)

Hi Brick, welcome to the site.  First off, I want to say that it's great that you are learning programming and seem to have come quite a ways.  This site is a great way to get constructive criticism from individuals who are doing similar things at an equal or higher level. 

It's clear you have a vision but I would urge you to focus on building a solid backbone for your game rather than focusing (albiet not exclusively) on the creative side immediately.  That is conceptualizing a game that would be fun and work correctly before delving straight into creating it.  No doubt there are many development styles out there but from what I can see immediately the game seems to be focused on much of its visual presentation and not on its gameplay mechanics.  Even the visual presentation seems to be a bit lack luster.  I don't know how experienced you are so I don't know what is fair game for me to criticize or not but I will say that the graphics are - at the onset - not that appealing.  The shaders you are using (or not using) aren't really doing it for me as everything seems to be lit with very flat light.  You seem to be trying to mimic the style of LEGO Universe but its really not there yet, and I don't think the very non-LEGO looking building models are helping.  I personally would question the wisdom of creating anything based on LU but that's probably because I was not a fan of it and prefer the more classic look of the older games. 

I think the biggest thing that's missing is that from what you've showed us I'm really not sure what the purpose of the game is and how that purpose is communicated via the game's elements.  In an ideal world, a game's internal logic is consistant, that all of the elements (graphics, gameplay, story, etc) work together to reinforce each other and the game's overall objective and purpose.  I'm not getting that here.  Granted, that might be because you're still in the development phase but you've said that you're pretty far along.  If I were you, I would stop work and take stock of where you wanted to be originally, where you are currently, and where you are going.  I think there are some big picture questions you need to address that are weakening your project.  Even if you decide that you're exactly where you want to be, I think the introspection would still be a worthwhile excercise.

Allenallen and Thriffi (dont remember his full wikia name) maded it. They gave me permission to use it.

Where did you get the minifigure model?

Why did you have to advertise HERE of all the places...

Why not? It's more fitting here than 99% of the other web sites and domain names on the internet, all having nothing to do with LEGO.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.