Rock Raiders Black Screen on start up

sazardog

So today I decided for download rock raiders for the first time in probably 10 years, I quickly found after installing it that i was getting the d3drm.dll error. I found a video on fix that error but it didn't for me. In the description of the video it gave a link to this website at which point I looked for a fix for this problem and found it quickly, but now after fixing the d3drm error I get a black screen on start up and Rock Raiders immediately shuts down. PLZ help I really want to play this game to bring back childhood memories.

I'm running on windows 7 64 bit.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You could try cutting out videos by modding the game (first unpack the .WADs with the Wad Recycler (I prefer it; it's far easier) '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>> ). Open the CFG (in RR1.wad (DON'T open it with Word, open it with something like Notepad which won't correct the spelling) and find the line 'DontPlayAvis' and change that from 'FALSE' to 'TRUE.'

See if that does anything.

It's your graphics card.

>

>

>

>

Don't get too excited. LRR is extremely picky about the hardware it will run on and AMD cards are the worst. Tell us what you're using and we might be able to help you.

I found a few more topics with people using Radeon cards. None of them have complete solutions though:

>

>

>

Try running the game using your CPU's integrated graphics, if it supports that. One poster suggested disabling Crossfire if you have it enabled.

• 3 months later...

How do you get the game to run without using the GPU? I'm using a Radeon hd 8990 and i tried compatibility mode with every single options combination. The farthest i can get is the loading screen of the first mission.

The main menu and mission menu has flickering once i move the mouse about 1/3 of the way up the screen, and the falling-rocks screen transition slows the frame-rate massively, sometimes just using white, pixelated hexagons instead of rocks.

If i can manage to make it into a mission (purely by chance) the control panels flicker wildly the closer i get to lava, which is the main problem on the first level. it also slows the frame-rate to about 10-15 fps, depending on how much lava is on screen. The same happens when i finish drilling a wall and the rubble falls to the cavern floor.

I would rather not download/install any new software onto my brand new computer, but i will if its absolutely necessary to run this gem of a game from my early childhood (which i still have completely memorized). 

I'm also making it my duty to burn copies and give them to people around me who remember this game and want some good old-fashioned nostalgia.

All Hail the Chief!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.