Favorite mods of all time

sheepandshepherd

sheepandshepherd

We have a topic for our favorite video games, so why not one for our favorite mods of video games?

I must admit, since I started working on my own game in Unity, I’ve pretty much given up on 2 very nice modding ideas I had for Skyrim. Sometimes I need to remind myself that some of the mods I’ve played are better than the game they were made for. For that matter, some of the mods I’ve played are better than most of the video games I’ve paid to play. Modders can do great things just as well as the ‘professionals’ can, if they have the tools they need.

I was thinking mainly of quest/story mods, but eh – different games have different mods, so anything’s fair game.

So here’s my list of mods that I’d consider worthy equals, or maybe even better than, the games they were made for – the absolute best mods I’ve played.

TES4: Oblivion

• The Lost Spires
  • The Ayleid Steps

Star Wars Dark Forces

• Discovery at Ironfort
  • The Dark Tide series

X3: Reunion

• X-Tended Mod (and these guys got hired to help make the next game)

Fallout 3

• Mothership Zeta Crew
  • A Quest For Heaven series

Notice there’s no Skyrim on my list. Which is depressing. I really want some reason to play that game again, and it has so much modding potential.

Your turn. We shall demonstrate the greatness of modding! And maybe find some fun mods in the process.

BP-Banner.png

400px-Logowod.png

Both are mods for FreeSpace Open. I like Blue Planet for its story and Battle-of-Endor style missions done right, and I like Wings of Dawn for its obtuse style of difficulty and the weapons style that turns each mission into a fireworks-lightshow.

The Ace Railgun

Let's see, In Minecraft it would have to be the 3DMG mod for me, and for the Stargate Network it'd have to be the Awaking mod. And more include:

G-Mod (Half-Life)

F-stop (Portal 2)

DayZ Mod (Amra II and III)

And a ton more oh and time raiders for RR

sheepandshepherd

-snip-

Nice, I forgot all about FS2 open. I've only played the Battlestar Galactica mods for it, but I might have to try these out some time too.

3DMG mod

WHAT. WHAAAAT. Well, I know what I'm downloading next.

The Ace Railgun

TSLRCM, MEHEM, Gentlemen of the Row

I completely forgot about those mods they were pretty awesome. And to add to my list is the Gehn Shard for UruLiveAgain (ULA), and the Vaal'Lin: Lone Guardian mod for ULA and Uru: Path of the Shell.

sheepandshepherd

TSLRCM

Yes, this was my refuge from the horror that is TOR. Haven't finished it though, since I already played through the game about 20 times before the mod existed. Slowly getting there though!

CMTSPv3

How have I not heard of this one? I never paid any attention to Halo modding, didn't think something like this was possible.

Favourite mods? Other than RRU, I don't play many mods. I did enjoy the Star Wars Battlefront II mods I played with noghiri though, I can't remember their names... I think the Dark Times was one of them.

I like some race mods available for Dawn of War: Soulstorm, too. The Tyranid and Grey Knights mods are good.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.