Mouse-Over Game Titles

Jimbob

I have a suggestion for the forum, although I have no idea whether or not it is implementable on IP.Board. On some forums I've seen, they detect certain letter combinations (e.g. 'gtg') and format them so that, when moused over, a small box appears next to it saying the meaning of the letters (in this case, Got To Go). My suggestion is to use this, but not with general things like that - I understand that writing such statements out in full is more preferable here - but rather with game titles, for instance LU would represent LEGO Universe.

If it is possible to do this, would anyone be in favour of it? I think it'd be a nice little touch and certainly help people who don't know the abbreviations used for all the various LEGO games.

Note: I understand there is a BB Code for this, using the acronym tags (e.g. LU) but I just thought it might be nicer to not have to write all that out each time.

Auto acronyms do sound rather nice. And for some reason I always forget about that BBcode.

Maybe because no one knows about that BBcode :P

Jk, but this really isn't a problem in my opinion, perhaps because I never used that code and I don't know if it's hard to use it or not. It probably is so I think I'll just shut up now.

I think this is a great idea.

Small list to get started.

Companies

TLG

DDI

ATD

TT

Games

LRR

LR1 and LR2 (question, if LR2 wasn't made it's own acronym but LR was, would it show up as LR2?)

LI and LI2 (same deal as above)

IXS

LU

LSW

LCU

Forums

RRU (like it's necessary, eh)

BZP

LMB

And many more that I can't think of ATM

EDIT: Added a couple more. Will probably keep adding them as I think of them.

• Like 2

Auto acronyms do sound rather nice. And for some reason I always forget about that BBcode.

Maybe because no one knows about that BBcode :P

Jk, but this really isn't a problem in my opinion, perhaps because I never used that code and I don't know if it's hard to use it or not. It probably is so I think I'll just shut up now.

For a list of many of the BBCodes, you can click on the third icon from the top-left in the message editor, titled 'Special BBCode'. :thumbsup:

I'm actually asking for an automatic system unrelated to BBCode, but just used the current acronym BBCode as an example.

Glad you like the idea, :)

I like it! Good idea!

LR and LR2 (question, if LR2 wasn't made it's own acronym but LR was, would it show up as LR2?)

Got a good issue there. It would require a bit of logic to make that one work. I'll post how I think that could be solved in code EDIT: >below.

I think this is a great idea.

Small list to get started.

Companies

TLG

DDI

ATD

Games

LRR

LR1 and LR2 (question, if LR2 wasn't made it's own acronym but LR was, would it show up as LR2?)

LI and LI2 (same deal as above)

IXS

LU

LSW

LCU

Forums

RRU (like it's necessary, eh)

BZP

And many more that I can't think of ATM

EDIT: Added a couple more. Will probably keep adding them as I think of them.

These are great, and it's also great to hear that people support this idea :) I just hope it's actually possible to do.

I like it! Good idea!

LR and LR2 (question, if LR2 wasn't made it's own acronym but LR was, would it show up as LR2?)

Got a good issue there. It would require a bit of logic to make that one work. I'll post how I think that could be solved in an edit.

Well, you could just leave it as LR meaning LEGO Racers, so people would see the 2 and realise it's LEGO Racers 2 (if that makes sense).

But I think it should be made a separate acronym.

EDIT: Adding onto Fushi's list, how're these? I'm not so sure about a couple of them.

DR
SR
LL
AT
SM
FM
LC
LCKK
TLM

IXS

In case you haven't noticed, the E is dropped from Extreme in the spelling of this game.

Also, it should be LIXS. "LEGO" is part of the title, but I'm not getting into that argument again.

IXS

In case you haven't noticed, the E is dropped from Extreme in the spelling of this game.

Also, it should be LIXS. "LEGO" is part of the title, but I'm not getting into that argument again.

Since when? All the 2002 LEGO Interactive games (Island Xtreme Stunts, Drome Racers, Soccer/Football Mania, Creator Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) dropped the "LEGO" bit before the name of the game, not only on the box art, but the install directories, logos, etc.

https://gist.github.com/le717/7757998#file-checkacronym-js

I made a JavaScript version. For those who do not code, it is simply an implementation idea for basis of the Jimbob's idea. While the actual code to get the text from the post content, apply any CSS that may denote an acronym and display the tooltip adds more to the script and is not present, this is basically the core of how such a system might work. The script should be able to be ported to pretty much any web language (I know IP.Board uses PHP a lot). I like how the Python version has multiple acronym's for one game stored in an array (which reduces code redundancy and possiblr errors), but I was unable to duplicate that in JavaScript.

TF

I'm trying to fudge this by using the bad word filter but it doesn't seem to work right. Below is the word "test.filter" minus the period immediately after filtering. Above is what happened after I put the word and edited the post so the BBCode would take.

testfilter

IXS

Since when? All the 2002 LEGO Interactive games (Island Xtreme Stunts, Drome Racers, Soccer/Football Mania, Creator Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) dropped the "LEGO" bit before the name of the game, not only on the box art, but the install directories, logos, etc.

FOCUS released all of the 2002 games in the UK (except maybe Creator Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) with the packaging indicating LEGO is part of the titles. Here's a random eBay listing with an image. If my copy of Galidor from them is any indication, though, the files on the actual disks still indicate that the title lacks 'LEGO.'

Certainly sir, you may have auto-acronyms. (Small skin edit done, so F5) Example: DDI

So this works now?

I'mma try it out.

DDI LRR RRU LR2 IXS ATD

EDIT: YES!

IXS

FOCUS released all of the 2002 games in the UK (except maybe Creator Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) with the packaging indicating LEGO is part of the titles. Here's a random eBay listing with an image. If my copy of Galidor from them is any indication, though, the files on the actual disks still indicate that the title lacks 'LEGO.'

Yeah, I've seen those. Another thing I remembered last night is that the old LEGO Interactive website dropped "LEGO" from everything, even previous games:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040616070337/http://www.lego.com/eng/interactive/default.asp

http://web.archive.org/web/20040804161231/http://www.lego.com/eng/interactive/product.asp?Title=Rock+Raiders&Code=PC

Certainly sir, you may have auto-acronyms. (Small skin edit done, so F5) Example: DDI

Could we get a list of supported ones? I notice that LR1 doesn't exist, likewise LR3 / DR / LDR for Drome Racers

Could we get a list of supported ones? I notice that LR1 doesn't exist, likewise LR3 / DR / LDR for Drome Racers

I guess all we can do is test them all out.

WORK: TLG DDI ATD LRR LR LR2 LI LI2 IXS LU LSW RRU BZP LMB

DON'T WORK: LR1 TT LCU DR SR LL AT SM FM LC LCKK TLM

Here's the acronyms I've seen used for various games, in order of release (thanks to wikipedia's handy dandy list of LEGO games), minus some like Bionicle and Friends and stuff because meh. As you can see there's some conflicts:

LEGO Island: LI1, LI

LEGO Chess: LC (hardly ever seen anybody use this)

LEGO Creator: LC, LC1

LEGO Loco: LL

LEGO Rock Raiders: LRR, RR

LEGOLAND: LL?

LEGO Alpha Team: LAT, AT

LEGO Creator Knights' Kingdom: LCKK, LC2

LEGO Stunt Rally: LSR, SR

LEGO Island 2: LI2

LEGO Racers 2: LR2

Drome Racers: DR, LDR, LR3

Island Xtreme Stunts: IXS, LIXS, LI3

Soccer/Football Mania: SM, FM, LSM, LFM

LEGO Knights' Kingdom: LKK (Does anybody even know about this game? I've hardly seen it discussed anywhere)

LEGO Battles: LB

LEGO Universe: LU

LEGO Battles Ninjago: LBN

LEGO City Undercover: LCU

LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins: Meh, I've mostly just seen people call it "LCU 3DS" or rarely "TCB"

LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval's Journey: PFFT

LEGO Legends of Chima Online: LLoCO, LoCO

LEGO Minifigures Online: LMO

Licensed stuff:

LEGO Creator Harry Potter: LCHP, LC3

Creator Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Let's make our lives easier and just call this LC4 (some files call it that from what I've heard)

LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game: LSW, LSW1

LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy: LSW2

LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga: LSW:TCS, sometimes LSW3 before the release of the actual LSW3

LEGO Batman: The Video Game: LB, LB1

LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures: LIJ, LIJ1

LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues: LIJ2

LEGO Rock Band: LRB

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4: LHP1

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7: LHP2

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game: LPotC

LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars: LSW3

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes: LB2

LEGO The Lord of the Rings: screw it

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: I'm done

LEGO The Hobbit: no

The LEGO Movie Videogame: I suppose TLMVG or something I don't even care

Developers, or at least ones often given acronyms, in whatever order I think of them in:

Data Design Interactive: DDI

Digital Domain: DD

Intelligent Games: IG

Silicon Dreams: SD

Attention to Detail: ATD

High Voltage Software: HVS

NetDevil: ND

Play Well Studios: PWS

Funcom: FC

Traveller's Tales: TT (technically TT Games is the overarching group, while Traveller's Tales and TT Fusion are the two studios within it, but whatever)

Thank you, Lord merCy!

That's quite a list jamesster. With regards to the conflicts, the other forums I've seen this on simply list the multiple options together. They're on multiple lines but I'm sure a comma would work to separate them if conflicted acronyms were to be used.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.