[Research] Sequenced Textures

Cirevam

I'll start right away by saying that this is a problem with Lightwave. If you have it, please tell me what version you're using. I am using Lightwave 9 for the following tests.

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to make custom models with sequenced textures. An example of this is the smoke effects coming out of the Tool Store, Power Station, etc. Each frame of the sequence is stored as a separate texture with a number (ssss0000.bmp, ssss0001.bmp, and so on) and the animation itself can be seen if you open the model in Layout and scroll through keyframes. The problem I'm running into is that Lightwave 9 does not seem to export the texture sequence. It exports the texture just fine but it's saved as a still, or a single image in other words. Saving the model as a LW9 model retains the sequence, so I'm not setting it incorrectly.

Can I ask the members of RRU to help me out a bit with this? Any version of Lightwave you have will do as this is purely research. Please open a model with a sequenced texture in Modeler and export it as a Lightwave 5 model. Then open the exported model and check the Image Editor to see if the image is still stored as a sequence. Here's a before and after when I do it, which is what we are not looking for:

I have been using the model DataMiscAnimsIceCubeRM_DryIceblock.lwo which uses the textures ssss0000.bmp found in DataWorldShared as my test. You can use anything you want as long as it has a sequenced texture.

I need this in order to create something special for the community. Specifically I'm trying to make a waterfall scenery effect, which could work without sequenced textures, but I'd like to limit the amount of bodges I put into this game.

The same thing happens when I do it with Lightwave 11.6. I get two error windows when I open the exported file

"Could not load clip. Unsupported file type and/or file not found. C:Program FilesNewTekLightwave 11.6"

I'm guessing there was some change in the LW5 file export code that kept most of the features, but broke sequenced textures. Much like how any LW9+ versions have invisible animations when exported to LW5. What version of LW did you try this with? (Was it LW8?)

EDIT: Changing the Image Type to Sequence on the exported version recognizes the other images in the directory, but reexporting at that point has the same results with more error windows (increased from 2 to 6 windows).

I should have mentioned that I was using Lightwave 9... OP updated. I will have to try LW8 as that handles both models and animations for LW5, so it may have some legacy plugin for sequenced textures too. If anyone has it, please give it a go. Otherwise I'll be installing it later since I already have it. I just need to make room for it...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.