About Erosion In the Map Creator

RockRaiderWolf

RockRaiderWolf

Was not sure if I should post this in Support or some other forum but, figured it fit best here.

Anyway I was just hoping for a quick clarification on the difference between the Red and Yellow overlays i in Erosion Editor of the Map Creator. 

Does the red mean it erodes faster or does it mean it is the origin of the erosion or both?

Also on a bit of a side note does erosion work if you don't place the overlays next to any lava or if there is no lava on the level?

Finally unrelated question which I probably already know the answer to, Does Elevation have any other effects besides preventing building on uneven plots? For example does it cause Rock Raiders to get Hungry faster while running uphill, or does it speed up downhill erosion, finally although I doubt it, if water/Lava is higher elevation than ground beside it will it flow to cover the ground?

Thanks again for any responses!

Edit: It occurred to me while replaying the first erosion level to ask this but does the erosion only go in one direction? I had assumed it just went to any adjacent squares that were marked for erosion but, when playing this level I noticed that both sides of the ground in the first chamber had one square that never started to erode. I am going to go open it in the map creator and see if they were for some reason not highlighted for erosion. (Shrug)

___________________________________________________________________________________

Alright after downloading the previously unnoticed update(s) for the map creator I would like to repose my questions. I will list them below:

1. - What are the effects of the different levels of Erosion path and Pre-eroded markers. (Appears to be 5 levels of each)

2. - What is the meaning of the different levels of the landslide markers, there appears to be 8.

3. - What is with those oddly placed erosion markers/pre-eroded markers in level 25 when opened in map editor?

Edited by RockRaiderWolf

• 2 weeks later...

Red simply means that it is pre-eroded. I'm not sure what number corresponds to what stage.

Yellow means that 'erosion will come here.'

If you want to increase the speed of the erosion

does erosion work if you don't place the overlays next to any lava or if there is no lava on the level?

Pre-eroded will erode even if there is nothing on the level but water. (Well, obviously not on the square which the erosion is on.

An erode marker will only start eroding if there is lava next to it. The time that it does this can be found in the CFG. Also, higher numbers in the erod.map file act as a multiplier.

Does Elevation have any other effects besides preventing building on uneven plots? For example does it cause Rock Raiders to get Hungry faster while running uphill, or does it speed up downhill erosion, finally although I doubt it, if water/Lava is higher elevation than ground beside it will it flow to cover the ground?

No idea about the raiders, but I can tell you that erosion works whatever the heightmap says. You can 'tell' lava to stop halfway downhill if you want. And water is permanently stationary, apart from its little wave effect.

Also, I said above about stuff in the CFG. This is in the level section, with the lines

ErodeTriggerTime                        xx
            ErodeErodeTime                            xx
            ErodeLockTime                            xxx

ErodeTriggerTime and ErodeErodeTime are pretty simple to work out, but I've no idea what ErodeLockTime does.

Anyway I was just hoping for a quick clarification on the difference between the Red and Yellow overlays i in Erosion Editor of the Map Creator. 

Does the red mean it erodes faster or does it mean it is the origin of the erosion or both?

As the colour goes from yellow to red, it indicates the level of erosion. Ingame, there are different levels of erosion (about 3/4 last I checked) that are visually distinct (watch for yourself, the tile changes), and so in Map Creator you can choose where the erosion starts from. Red is closer to it becoming full lava, yellow is closer to it starting to erode.

Also on a bit of a side note does erosion work if you don't place the overlays next to any lava or if there is no lava on the level?

Yes, absolutely. There are actually levels in the game where erosion starts without lava nearby. If you find lava/erosion is not working on your level, check Lego.cfg to see if it was disabled in the Level Properties (one of the sections near the bottom).

Finally unrelated question which I probably already know the answer to, Does Elevation have any other effects besides preventing building on uneven plots? For example does it cause Rock Raiders to get Hungry faster while running uphill, or does it speed up downhill erosion

No, there are no effects.

finally although I doubt it, if water/Lava is higher elevation than ground beside it will it flow to cover the ground?

No.

Edit: It occurred to me while replaying the first erosion level to ask this but does the erosion only go in one direction? I had assumed it just went to any adjacent squares that were marked for erosion but, when playing this level I noticed that both sides of the ground in the first chamber had one square that never started to erode. I am going to go open it in the map creator and see if they were for some reason not highlighted for erosion. (Shrug)

Unsure. I had always assumed it chose a random tile and eroded that. I'd need to check ingame.

RockRaiderWolf, on 15 Jan 2014 - 08:15 AM, said: Anyway I was just hoping for a quick clarification on the difference between the Red and Yellow overlays i in Erosion Editor of the Map Creator. Does the red mean it erodes faster or does it mean it is the origin of the erosion or both? As the colour goes from yellow to red, it indicates the level of erosion. Ingame, there are different levels of erosion (about 3/4 last I checked) that are visually distinct (watch for yourself, the tile changes), and so in Map Creator you can choose where the erosion starts from. Red is closer to it becoming full lava, yellow is closer to it starting to erode.

That's never been my case. If you boot up the Map Creator 0.9.8 and go to the Erosion Editor you will see that you can either place 'Pre-Eroded' or and 'Erosion Path.' Pre-eroded can be clicked repeatedly (on the map, not the drop-up (:P) menu) to have higher levels. I think 1 corresponds to just starting, and anything above 4 is lava anyway because erosion only has four stages. I think. I'm not quite sure which number corresponds to which stage.

Erosion markers are places where the lava will go. You can make the lava go anywhere with these. But for them to start eroding, they must have a bit of lava next to them.

Note that I have tested this, and I don't see how you could say that 'yellow means starting to erode.'

Note that I have tested this, and I don't see how you could say that 'yellow means starting to erode.'

Because I said the same f****ing thing but made it easy for him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.